SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Different ways of making shortcake

plllog
4 years ago

These August birthdays are ganging up on me!

There's one who loves my biscuits. A lot. And she also loves my strawberry ice cream. I'm not making the dinner on her birthday, just dessert, so I thought about how a lot of you make strawberry shortcake with biscuits as the cake. The birthday girl was enthusiastic about the idea of strawberry shortcake made with biscuits.

Given strawberry ice cream, I'm not adding whipped cream (I know some put whipped cream on ice cream, but I can't go there), and same for a creme anglaise, which is pretty much ice cream base anyway, and even weirder than whipped cream, though good with strawberries.

I also think that strawberry sauce with strawberries and strawberry ice cream is just too much strawberry.

Lemon curd would be too much not-strawberry, right? Caramel would also be too strong. This isn't the group for hard sauce. Brown butter sauce could be very interesting but the wrong flavor with the ice cream. Nut flavored sauces sound good until I really try to imagine the flavor and they're just wrong. Maybe a light pear sauce? Pears are good with strawberries. I could put some diced strawberries in it.

Or perhaps I just need to do the strawberry sauce and add some lemon zest or something.

What do you think? I'm idea'd out.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz