SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dademurphy

Is mosaic tile safer for shower floor?

Dade
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm about to select bathroom tiles in a complete house renovation and am keen for a very minimal clean look so will be using the same tile on floors in and out of the shower area with a linear drain (see photo below for installed example)

I've selected 23' x 23" textured porcelain tiles that are approved for wall/floor in wet areas but the manufacturer (a well-known high end brand) says that they can't guarantee them as non-slip for shower floors and recommend using a 2"x2" mosaic for added grip, which they or I can cut. But then the sales rep also told me that the larger tiles are actually fine on shower floors but the reason they don't recommend that officially is for legal liability (esp risk of accident on high traffic commercial projects) and it's really up to me to decide. I heard the exact same line from a competitor tile brand who I spoke to earlier that day about their tiles.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Would appreciate some advice in weighing up the decision. Larger tile would give me the look I'm after. Given the manufacturers all seem to want to assure me that either route is fine, should I listen to them? Does mosaic tile provide enough of a difference to warrant a design compromise?

Comments (9)