SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1

Lets see your July 2019 plant pictures! Anything you want to share!

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Please, let's see the plants you would like to share with us. From citrus, to fragrant, orchids and what ever else you are proud to have grown or what ever plant you just love and tell us why.

Thank you

Comments (60)

• Eats_Beats_Trees
    4 years ago

Only one this season

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Eats_Beats_Trees
  • Ike Stewart
    4 years ago

I am located in western Louisiana, about 90 miles NE of Beaumont, TX and my in ground Meyers planted in 2016 (maybe 2015) is doing about the same as John's, leaves are a bit yellow as I had not fertilized until July 1st since the beginning of May (just been too busy dealing with other fruit trees, travel, weather, etc.). My Cara Cara planted in March of 2016 is doing well, it is now well over 7 ft tall, and has fruit on it for the first time this year.

My other mature and young Satsumas are all doing fairly well, including the one that got knocked back to just a few inches over the graft union in the winter 18 months go.

Here are a couple of photos, the short bushy one is the Meyers, the tall skinnier one is the Cara Cara, please forgive the tall grass, all this rain (thankfully a bit less than SE Texas has been getting) is making it hard to find a time when the yard is dry enough to cut.

Cara Cara:

Meyers:

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Ike Stewart
  • Related Discussions

Let me hear your stories and see your pictures!

Q

Comments (20)
    Morning, Purple & Marquest. Okay, a third plant to consider.. ") Btw, I've never heard of Zephyranthes. Heck, can't even pronounce it. lol. Okay, just Googled, and by gosh, I think you're right. Purp, yes, the plant has thin, strap-like leaves. Gotta check Zeph's care now, and change the name on my photo pages. Thank you gals... Marquest, your Amy is definately an original..before culivars came about??? You can tell its old by the flower. Different than any around today. Same applies to ancient Christmas Cactus..Ever seen the flowers? Grimes..Many here on GW use PB. My pics are on Flickr, so I can't help, but I'm certain someone will explain how to download so you can post pics....especially since you started this thread. lol. SJ...WOW, now thats some tree AND green house!!! Wish mine was as large as yours. My dinky 8x12 looks like a closet compared to yours. lol. Filled w/mealy..How terrible!!! I'm against chemical insecticides, but if you want to rid those awful pests, perhaps you should use systemic Bayer. Many swear it kills mealy and other insects. Your Ficus is too beautiful to have mealy. When did you notice mealybug? Are you not worried your other plants, 'which are gorgeous,' will catch mealy? I've tossed a good number of plans when I couldn't rid mealy..I didn't use Bayer or any other chemicals... Sprayed and wiped with Rubbing Alcohol, but it didn't work. Love your palms..WOW! Impressive. Toni
    ...See More

I want to see your mid-July gardens....(pics)

Q

Comments (25)
    David...I knew that ladder looked familiar. :-) My DD went through a phase when she was fascinated with infomercials and everytime you would go by the TV she would have another one on. I remember seeing one of those ladders and always wanting one. I bet you get a lot of use out of it! I just went over and looked at what Amazon is advertising and the only 17ft ladder they had was the one linked below. So you are happy with yours? Do you find that you use it a lot, or is it one of those things that you keep doing things the way you have always done them and forget to use it? I think the use on the stairs is neat and being able to use it like a scaffold too. pm2 Here is a link that might be useful: Werner 17ft ladder
    ...See More

Well......let's see them. Show pictures of your dogs.

Q

Comments (101)
    Heres my Kallie, a rescue from a kill shelter in North Carolina. She was about 3 months old when rescued. She’s turning 6 in January. And here's my boy Spencer who we lost a year and a half ago. Still miss him every. Single. Day. And this page wouldn’t be big enough to hold all those pups we’ve had in our lives during our almost 50 years of marriage. Each one has a special place in our hearts.
    ...See More

Please, let's see your light set ups for winter 2019!

Q

Comments (8)
    I am not a member of AOS and cannot access the magazine. So, I googled the author and found this piece, which covers a lot of technical aspects of LED growlights. I like the discussion of technical terms, such as PAR, PPF and DLI, which more accurately define the light used by plants. I also like how she mentions that cattleyas can require twice as much DLI as phalaenopsis or paphiopedilums do to flower. For an affordable LED growlight, I recently came across this YouTube video that demos Mars Hydro TS 600W, which has very good reviews on Amazon, for vandas. Like many 2019 LED growlights, it has a warmer glow, unlike the cold fluorescent or blurple that older LED technologies emit. I don’t have a Mars Hydro, but I do own a few growlights from Fluence and HLG that use similar spectra. I find the warm, sun-like glow to be very pleasant. Last winter, my growlights did a great job helping my jasmines and camellias bloom indoors. I recently bought 20+ cattleyas and dendrobiums, and we will see how they do under the lights this winter.
    ...See More
  • pereiracity
    4 years ago

Great Thread Thank you!

Mine is Carnations- I never grew them before. They were easy and they smell sooo good

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked pereiracity
  • talencat
    4 years ago

Hi Eats_Beats_Trees , your coconut orchid looks great , can you share your method How do you grow your orchid?

My orchid pic is below. I don't know why it is getting smaller, do you know why? Any advice is appreciated.

Eats_Beats_Trees

• John 9a
    4 years ago

Ike, looks like your meyer is planted in a more upland location than mine. Sure looks a lot greener! I'm leaving the fruit on this year for a change. I'm ready to enjoy a few fruits from my labor! I haven't tried a cara cara.

Socal, I looked up the sunquat and found that it was originally developed in Beeville, TX. That area is quite a bit drier than here but still, might be able to plant one here if I find one for sale somewhere. We have a really good local wholesale citrus producer so the local box stores have really nice healthy trees, just not the varieties some of you are planting. Haven't seen the sunquat. Looks like my little peach tree is on the way out so there may be a new spot for another tree soon. One of my favorites is calamondin since it's my only citrus that pretty much blooms all spring and summer. That spreads my ripe fruit out so I have some ripe ones on the tree almost the year around. Right now I have blooms, green fruit, and dead ripe fruit. The tree is pretty cold hardy but the ripe fruit freeze easily and turn to mush...say around 28-30F. Satsuma, kumquat, and lemon fruit are more resistant to a light freeze.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked John 9a
  • Eats_Beats_Trees
    4 years ago

Talencat, the bulbs should be full and round. Yours look a shriveled. It needs more water. Is it one plant or are these cuttings? If they are cuttings it should stay moist till you notice growth.

Mine gets a lot of water and a little more sun than my other orchids. I lived in a space with only a small patio and it’s possible it didn’t get enough sun.

that’s just been my experience with the beauty . “)

sorry I don’t know how to tag yet

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Eats_Beats_Trees
  • Ike Stewart
    4 years ago

John, I find that to keep my Meyers green I have to frequently feed it supplemental fast acting nitrogen usually in the form of Calcium Nitrate, in addition to the citrus / blueberry localy blended commercial 18-9-11 fertilizer blend I use on well my citrus and blueberries.

• John 9a
    4 years ago

Ike, the ground around my tree stays wet enough to make a sticky ball of mud if you grab up a handful. I know that's too wet but that's the nature of where I planted it. I wish I had built it up before I planted it. I worry about over-fertilizing since I'm worried the pale may be from under-aeration. I don't see much difference after giving it a pretty good dose of 2-7-4 organic tomato fertilizer but that's clearly wayyyy under the N your tree is getting! I got that fertilizer on sale last winter and have just about used it up so I'll try something closer to a 10 for N next time. I try to stay with organic fertilizers rather than straight N. I have read that the nitrogen pellets can be harmful for the beneficial microbes that help keep the root fungi in check. Ultimately, I play a balance between not getting enough nitrogen and trying to keep root rot at arms length. Most of my yard should be too wet for citrus so I believe I have to thank the beneficial microbes for the trees I have.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked John 9a
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

urine is very high in nitrogen, Use it when it is fresh or refrigerate until you get enough to use.

Steve

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • socalnolympia
    4 years ago

John, I've heard that the fruit of Natsumikan, even though they need to overwinter, can survive down to 18 degrees. They're kind of like a mix between a bitter grapefruit, a sour orange, and a regular orange.

can you message me?

• Ike Stewart
    4 years ago

John, if you want to stay Organic you might consider blood meal, though it can attract animals which may damage the plants. Blood Meal is very high in fast acting nitrogen.

• talencat
    4 years ago

Eats_Beats_Trees

my orchid before i braked , it's whole branch but it get rotten in bottom

• arthurm2015
    4 years ago

Looks like apart from orchid growers "real citrus growers live in the frozen north" Back to orchids, the orchid in the pic. is best grown Underpotted i.e. in a small pot or even on a mount.

In ancient times my family had a citrus orchard. Acres and Acres. They had chooks as well, the chooks ate the weeds and fertilised the citrus.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked arthurm2015
  • John 9a
    4 years ago

Ike, I have asked for blood meal and even syrup solids at the local feed store but they look at me like I'm crazy. They aren't into organic there.

• jane__ny
    4 years ago

I am in South Florida. A bunch of different types of plants.

Gardenia

Dendrobium growing in a tree

A few flowering orchids

Jane

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked jane__ny
  • Ike Stewart
    4 years ago

John, I am not sure about the Beaumont area, but there is a place in Lake Charles on Broad Street with some organic growing supplies. I think the name is Curries feed and garden center

• Kelley_GA8a
    4 years ago

Thanks for the thread, Mike! I hope everyone is having a nice summer. Most of my trees are growing nicely, which excites me, but makes me nervous too. I’m running out of room in my garage for the winter lol. We’re in the process of selling two motorcycles, so I should have a bit more room. Anyhow, here’s a few pics:

Murcott mandarin- bud grafted from store bought fruit (very first graft)

Bearss lemons that made it through June drop

Added 5 more trees: Changshou, Sanboukan, Juanita, Buddha’s hand, and this Variegated Valencia:

Kelley

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kelly , hi. Now that’s what I call citrus tree loyalty Ha. Getting rid of bikes to make room for more Love it. Beautiful work.

Jane , good to see you and you always seem to have some of the prettiest plants no matter where you grow them. I keep thinking of your Angracium. Thank you and love seeing different views of your area .

John , nice work

Ike, holy moly. What a beautiful green tree. Thanks for the advice.

Talencat, a more moisture retentive mix and lots of bright light.

Steve, thanks for that video. Finally got a chance to see it. Been crazy busy

Thanks to everyone else I failed to mention . Love all the variety of plants. Please keep sharing )

Hosta finally flowering fragrant.

Carolina Allspice flowers smell like ripe cantaloupe and pears together unbelievable. Flowers 3 times a summer and fills the air. A well shaped shrub tree .

Michelia

Alba. Makes you take a deep breathe of air every time Nothing like it hard to explain. A very clean fragrance.

As many know, I love variegated and fragrance

Variegated Lemon or Orange tree. . Can’t remember until I taste the fruit.

Love most black growing plants too . This cactus has black spines .

Cactus with colors and red spines

One of the MOST fragrant orchids I have ever own. Smells like fresh baking vanilla cookies or cake.

A monarch butterfly caterpillar getting ready to cacoon itself on my very fragrant milk weed.

• John 9a
    4 years ago

Ike, I made a note and will try to go see them. Lake Charles is just about the same drive for me as Beaumont. I assume you have good sources for citrus trees in your area but if you need another source, the Home Depot in Orange has nice trees from Saxon Becnel & Sons. They are a wholesale supplier so you can't get trees direct but they are right here in orange and the trees they stock at the area box stores always look great. I would be surprised if the trees sold in Lake Charles don't have their label. Keep an eye on that tropical storm brewing...might get even more rain now that things are just now drying out a bit!

• nanzjade z5 MA
    4 years ago

Mike, goodness I am crazy for that Milkweed not only for how it’s a wonderful host for butterflies but those blush-purplish blooms are just captivating! Remind me please, what type is the one you gave me? I love your yard, no matter which way I turn there is seemingly endless colorful plants and blooms :)

A few of mine... a new Sedum, spider plant, aloe and variegated thyme, which smells amazing!

• talencat
    4 years ago

Myermike , if you save the seed of your white Carolina Allspice flowers please swap with me , let me know what are you looking i might have or seed of maroon Carolina Allspice flowers I have them fresh .

• nanzjade z5 MA
    4 years ago

Jodi, (aka Silica) I noticed through the years that you like to follow Mike's comments, which tells me you must really like him a lot, he seems to constantly draw your attention. Thank God for people like him on these forums otherwise this place would lack enthusiasm, variety, fun, and would lack friendships made here.

Citrus trees are plants, here's a couple of mine...

Variegated Pink Lemon

Kaffir lime, no flowers yet, but I love the smell of a crushed leaf, makes me want some Indian food.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked nanzjade z5 MA
  • John 9a
    4 years ago

All personalities aside, lots of great people here, but Jodi has a good point. The citrus forum falls apart from its purpose/label, much like a filing cabinet with no organization, if we go afield beyond some level. I have always liked seeing a few non-citrus once in a wile because it introduced us to some other facets of the people we know here...and I have posted a few non-citrus myself so I'm including me in the group. At some point though, we will no longer be a citrus forum. Just my two-cents.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    4 years ago

I think it's wicked fun and enjoy seeing what else our online friends grow, plus it exposes us to new plant types that sometimes I've never seen before. I think its great to occasionally to have threads like this, it's not an all the time thing. Houzz allows us to cross post and tie together themes, as Mike did on this and mentioned above "From citrus, to fragrant, orchids and what ever else..."

I've noticed that plant folks have a lot in common, going for the color, leaf shape, flower color, variegation or fragrance, and this love of key elements of the plants can spill into other plant types. That's what happened to me anyways, I have a thing for colorful and variegated plants. Mike, Josh and other forum members that frequent the forum were posting about their citrus, and when I saw the Variegated Pink Lemon at Home Depot last year, I had to get it as was so pretty and thought why not give it a try. So I am appreciative in seeing threads like this that can help open the eyes a bit wider.

p.s., Mike.... goodness that Koi pond is spectacular!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

citrus pictures

New Zealand lemonade on sour orange 1 year old

2.5 year old seed grown Meiwa kumquat tree with flower buds

same tree different branch.

Same tree different branch.

Same tree different branch

Same tree last branch.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

More citrus

My largest seed grown Meiwa tree but no flower buds yet. its 2.5 years old

My second largest 2.5 year old Meiwa tree. No flower buds yet

Meiwa kumquat on Kuharske Citrange with tons of flowers

New Zealand lemonade on US897 with 1 small fruit.

In ground seed grown Fukushu kumquat with 14 flower buds. not visible yet.

Steve

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nancy, Thank you so much and I se eyou get it)) Nevr and unkind word or jsture from you. Thank you Yes, this forum does allow you to do that and therefor I will be taking advantage of it. If it was not for being able to cross post, many at the other forums would not of known about these citrus growers or even consider them, and some from here would not of considered growing other species of plants or have met the wonderful people that I have gotten to know. Nancy, last time I checked, Citrus trees were plants.ha

Also, this will always be a citrus forum, since that is what most of the threads are about. I see Johns point and thank you John, but no need to worry.)

Steve, your trees are really doing great. Thank you shoing us so many varieties and for the growth they have aquired. Just great work buddy.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Talencat, I forgot to tell you if they seed I will definitey send you the seeds with no worries. I'll let you know if they do for sure)

• Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
    4 years ago

Mike, I am coveting your Carolina Allspice. I believe it is the cultivar ‘Athens’? A few years ago I went to the great expense and trouble of importing some plants from the US including a similar variety called ‘Venus.’ One morning my cat had a terrific flight with the neighbour cat, and they broke the shrub clean off, leaving just a stub in the ground. Heartbroken. I can’t even find a nursery that will ship to Canada any more.

Is it easy to grow from seed? If so, I would love to try some. Hint hint

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am not sure but I would send some to you too. Maybe if I can get a small cutting to root I could send it? No soil of course? Is that even legal.I will take a few shots of the whole tree for you. It flowers 3 times a summer. It smellls the whole yard up with the nices fragrance.

• Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
    4 years ago

Mike, that would be awesome. Yes please post photos. I was obsessed with this plant. I did import another calycanthus called ‘Aphrodite.’ It hasn’t flowered yet.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

2.5 year old seed grown Meiwa kumquat

heavily flowering 2.5 year old Miewa kumquat from seed.

------------------------------------------------------------

Grafted Meiwa has set fruit.

4 month old cutting of Hardy Chicago Kumquat

Steve

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maggie, I sure will. I will take some photos in the next couple of days for you! I might even have a low lying branch that might of rooted) I LOVE this plant too. It flowers profusely and smells so good. My friends and family never knew such a tree even existed.

Steve, look at all those blossoms. Just amazing there. You must be in heaven with that. That Chicago is only 4 months old? Wow!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

Mike; Figs grow almost as fast as a tomato plant.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago

Orchid. Odontocidium catante ‘Pacific Sunspots’.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dave, I had no idea you grew orchids, and this one of all ones. That is a beauty and thank you for sharing. wow.

Steve, thank you. Good to know

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago

Mike, I've killed nearly every orchid I've had except for this one, which seems impervious to destruction.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

• Julian H
    4 years ago

Roof top garden looks great Steve!

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Julian H
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Julian, I have always been impressed with it. You are right. Do you have any plants to show us? It looks like you live in a warmer climate)

• Julian H
    4 years ago

Hey Mike, Yeah I have a few fruit trees I am growing both in containers and in ground. I live in South Florida zone 10b Homestead if you are familiar with the area. Let me try and load some pictures directly to my profile seems to be the easiest way to share.

• Julian H
    4 years ago

Grafted US897 Dwarf Cara Cara, based on the age the grower says they ship at and the time it’s been with me should be right around 20 months.

US 897 Cara Cara Navel Orange · More Info

US 897 Cara Cara Navel Orange · More Info

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    4 years ago

Desertnyi pomegranate at planting time March of 2019

First blooms in June

Currently it is flowering again, this Pom is in the hottest part of my yard and we’ve been in the 110’s for the last few weeks.

Everyones trees, plants and flowers are looking very nice.

Evan

• kcandmilo
    4 years ago

Just back home after a 3 week trip to India! The veggie beds were laden and I filled a bowl with sweet smelling jasmine and a couple of gardenias!

KC

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked kcandmilo
  • kcandmilo
    4 years ago

Citrus pics coming soon! I do have updates on that orange tree that finally went into bloom this year!

KC

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked kcandmilo
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

KC, is that what happens when you go to India? Ha. Remind me to go soon. I love it. By the way, I hope the kids are all doing good for summer. Glad you are back safe to))) Post a couple of pics of India if you don't mind. I sure dont! What a bunch of great looking sweet tomatos! I'll bet that bowl smell great). Just how big is your yard to get all that? Wow

Evan, will you get nice fruit off that tree? Will they be sweet? You lucky thing you!! Between the heat and the amount of different kinds of trees you can plant, I wouldn't mind living near you. In fact, you would be my best neighbor my friend. You always have the most beatiful trees. By the way, I would of thought that tree was dead when first planted, it must of been dormant because boy did it come back nice. Good to see you again too.

Julian, it's great to see a new face around this forum. I wish you would be a part of the fragrant and orchid one too if you have any of those. I can imagine what you are growing in your yard. I love that area. I have not been there since before the hurricane and I assume it must be all rebuilt now and thriving. Fantastic pictures and thank you for sharing. Please stay around and share more often. In fact, I really like Floridians. I hope to visit soon again)) NIce pots too. You must love living there minus the humidity.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    4 years ago

Mike, the large Hoya that you gave me has had a bloom for a few days now and still looks brand new. :)

The whole lovely Hoya...

After the rain, I was surprised to find a bloom on my Michelia figo (Banana shrub). It smells amazing and just like freshly cut cantaloupe! I love it.

-Nancy

• Julian H
    4 years ago

Here is my Valencia Orange Tree it’s been in the ground for 1 year now, and was purchased in a 7 Gallon pot.

Valencia Orange Tree · More Info

Valencia Orange Tree · More Info

Still trying to figure things out with my citrus lately iv been having a lot of leaf drop But It May be due to the crazy weather we have down here extremely hot for a week then straight rain for a week.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Julian, where have you been hiding there? I am so glad you decided to join. I love your pictres and the stories behind your plants. Thank you. Stick around ok.

Nancy, I can't believe you have a flower!! Great job and that Figo, everyone that likes anything that smels good should have one of these. Easier to grow than a Michelia Alb and yet just as fragrant! I see more buds

MIke

• angesradieux
    4 years ago

My meyer lemon about a month ago

angesradieux's ideas · More Info

And the same plant looking much happier now. I gave it some espoma citrus tone, and at the recommendation of someone on this forum I started giving it espoma fish fertilizer in addition to foliage pro.

It's even managed to set two lemons

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked angesradieux