SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

GFCI outlet on a GFCI breaker?

catherinet
4 years ago

I have a golf cart charger that is plugged into an exterior GFCI outlet, which goes to the inside breaker box, where it's on a GFCI breaker.

We've used a 100' heavy gauge extension cord for about 8 years for when we charge it. (which is at least several times a week). I know we're not supposed to use extension cords like that, but no other option for now. We are careful.

So......recently, it has started tripping the GFCI breaker in the house. We know this easily because the nightlight goes out in the bathroom. Very little else is on that circuit, besides 1 other exterior outlet, which we hardly ever use.

I thought it might be caused from rain, so DH changed the exterior GFCI to be weather proof and has a tight cover over it. We also bought a new heavy gauge extension cord, in case that was the problem (although when I would test the old one with a 3-prong-type tester, everything was good........as was the old exterior outlet.)

I think it's the old GFCI breaker. Don't know why it was put in as a GFCI. But my guess it's that breaker that has gotten old. But DH seems to want to replace everything else first.

So do you think it could be the breaker being the problem? I'm thinking they probably get old and maybe get set off more easily.

For some reason.........(and this is really hard to know for sure), the breaker seems to be also set off when I unplug the extension cord outside. Maybe I'm wrong.

Any suggestions? DH can replace a breaker. If you think it's the GFCI breaker that's causing this.....would it make sense to NOT replace it with a GFCI? Does it offer any more security to have an exterior GFCI going to a GFCI breaker?

Thanks!

Comments (5)