SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chadd607

First timer sanding and refinishing floor needs assistance

Chadd Davis
4 years ago

Ive been tasked with sanding and refinishing a living room and a bedroom, i did half of the bedroom with a hand belt sander. Client aquired an essex silver line squared orbital sander so i tried it in the living room and did half of it with 2 60 grits in no time.(exept for the edges of the floor boards, would love an explanation) but yet today i try to use it on the other half and spent nearly all day and 3 60 grit squares to make almost no progress, i would really like to do a good job and am putting in the work to do so, but is it even possible with what i have???
At this point i did alot of research and realize that i essentially skipped at least one other kind of sander, and i have no access to a drumb or an esge sander, i can hand sand so the edge i can live without, but im more or less trying to do stripping with a buffer? Id say it sounds crazy but i did get half the room done and to my inexperienced eye it doesnt look to bad, just a few spots that didnt sand out all the way.
So with what i have at my disposal:
1(big ole squared orbital sander with
4 white pads that have taken a beating
2 60 grit, 4 80 grit, 2 100 grit,
And also 3 36 grit and 2 20s, but it was recommended by someone with knowledge not to use them out of fear of floor damage
2( hand belt sander
3( 2 hand orbital sanders
Will i be able to complete this job successfully and it be done properly and actually look good, Or am i shooting a bb gun at a freight train?
Sand paper for the small ones are purchasable the large ones are unfortunately far out of town. Ive also recently found some paint and varnish stripper but thats also new territory. I was told i need 2 things, Lots of Sand paper and time, lots of time.
I dont have many avenues of help for this project so any and all assistance in any way is(necessary haha) greatly appreciated and i cant thank you enough. If i can get this place fixed up there is an offer to buy that is being considered so if i can accomplish making this place attractive and functional i would have the confidence to inquire. So i thank all of you for reading and dont hesitate to throw anything my way. Thanks again.
Take care internet
Chadd

Comments (20)