SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Roll call .................

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've been a member of GardenWeb since 2001. It's changed hands a couple of times since those days, but a lot of the same members have remained.

However, for the last couple of years there have been fewer and fewer posts on the Texas Forum and less responses. Questions remain unanswered. It seems the Rose Forums are still active so what's happened to the people who used to be on here? I love that some of us have gotten to know each other and I enjoy keeping up with you.

I think the newer gardeners don't know about us and post on Facebook garden pages. Perhaps some of our regulars have moved over there too. Some of the the Facebook pages have over 5,000 members and are so fast moving they are hard to keep up with making it difficult to get to know the folks posting.

Back to the subject line: who is still here? And what value does the Texas GardenWeb hold for you?

Comments (67)

• annieinaustin
    4 years ago

I joined GardenWeb when we still lived at our previous Austin house so my best guess is 2003. I'd been on Prodigy back in the early 1990s - back then gardeners had text-only message boards - photos were a huge step up!

The people here have always been great but for a number of years I was more active on blogs - posting to my own, visiting other blogs and leaving comments. That scene changed and I seldom post to the blogs now.

I've always enjoyed popping in here - love your posts, Roselee!

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked annieinaustin
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks to everyone checking in. It's good to know you're here even if some are not very active. Yes, scenes keep changing. Also good to know what other plant forums/blogs/Facebook pages, etc. you enjoy. Even though I don't do much veggie or fruit growing I like to read about all kinds of plants.

I too liked getting the know people on here, meeting at plant swaps, and keeping up. I've made some wonderful friends through this forum.

Everyone -- if you read this write a few words and let us know you're still around or new here so we can welcome you.

• Related Discussions

Bromeliad Extravaganza - Roll Call

Q

Comments (8)
    Well, bummer, I made the wrong reservations. I'm going to Italy tomorrow morning. But I think I'll be able to find pizza, just no pizza box. And few bromeliads. : ( Have a ton of fun, friends, and I expect to see many many photos!!! With faces, not just bromeliads, but the bromeliads are important, don't misunderstand me. (Oh, I wish I could go to that Skotak talk! Lisa and Chester can settle the score...)
    ...See More

Head Count/Roll Call: Who is still here? Thank you for your replies!

Q

Comments (92)
    Thank you all so much for your replies! It's wonderful to see so many of you slogging through the Houzz changes in order to remain in touch, sharing your words and your photos. I hope others continue to chime in as they check in with the forum in between scheduled summer activities and in spite of current technological difficulties. Titian, thank you for the information about Florence's last posting. I may have missed it since it was located on a thread which began with another topic. I wish there were some way to reach her just to say how much it meant to share the exchanges that we did. We even shared family history and photos and artwork. Mary, I have no idea if Houzz ambushed the Furniture Forum with my post after the fact or whether I neglected to deselect the FF as a suggested cross posting site. I THOUGHT I deselected everything but Antique Roses. Since we will never know, and I prefer to maintain the fantasy that I can manage my own affairs, I'm going to cry "Houzz ambush" in order to save face. :-) Carol
    ...See More

Bareroot roll call

Q

Comments (28)
    I think you scored!!! ) Hmmm. I can't find it on HMF or under "Plants bred" by D. Austin. I did find the floral trade Austin Kate. Was that the info on the bag? Except for the fact that it's a Floribunda, the tag photo reminds me of Belinda's Dream. Your picture, however reminds me of Buxom Beauty/Parole which I found last year as a mis-marked body bag at Menard's. Whatever it is it's a beauty! Yeah for getting a quick fix with bareroots!
    ...See More

OBF April 2020 Swap……Roll Call

Q

Comments (77)
    Shirley, do you dig a bunch of plants and sell them bare root or do you repot before taking to the market? Seems like a lot of work either way. It was a beautiful day here too but I didn't do anything in my yard. Went to the park instead and enjoyed their wildflowers. Nikki, I'd love to see some pictures of your surrounding desert flowers. I watch the home remodeling shows in California more for the scenery than the remodeling. I love checking out all the beautiful flowers. Texas has a lot of cactus and I used to not like anything that even resembled cactus. Now I like them and even have a few. I've created a bed out front with Agave and Texas Red Yucca. The Texas Red Yucca is on the left side and in front of the salvia is Fall aster. I'm trying to control the size of the agave by keeping it in a pot. (I know, not real cactus lol)
    ...See More
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

I am here but this year I am building and my visits to the forum are quick and limited. I had a list of weird stuff happening to me including I kicked my camera and the lens popped off so no pictures till I get it back from the shop.. Thank god for the wet year. Plants are living on their own without my help. Unfortunately the grass is high and the weeds proliferating along with the Prairie parsley and meadow parasol flowers ( I think that is the common name for Daucosma laciniata). I miss all the people that used to be here. I often wonder about where they get their garden chatting fix. I also am not a FBer. I hardly have time to come here. I fear that that would consume my time that I am AWAY from the computer. I treasure the relationships that I have made here along with the plants thatI have gotten in trades. I so enjoy my times at the plant swaps.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am not a FBer either. I grew a lot of roses while living in Las Vegas. It seems that over the years, even Texas contributors to the rose gardening forums has declined... I know one lady's rose garden in Dallas was plagued with RRD a few years ago and she gave up. The rest, like wantonamara, I wonder...

I have found it difficult to determine something as simple as if Fortuniana RootStock is good for Central Texas, or will my baby roses in pots get attacked by Japanese Beetles?

I hope participation increases or has it come to many of the people in Texas have little interest in gardening, and are now just putting in vast lawns, Knock Out Roses from HEB or HD and the standard garden fare of shrubs?

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

I don't remember when I joined and it's not on my profile page, but I think I've been here about 5 years now. I try to drop by here daily, but that doesn't always happen with life and the new cabin property /landscaping and upkeep getting in the way. I'm not a great gardener and probably never will be, but I do enjoy flowers, flowering shrubs and trees and planting them. LOVE all the beautiful gardens some of you have been able to achieve. Truly professional skills on this board.

Me, I'm the kind of gardener that plants a plant, waters it, occasionally fertilizes when I can remember to and if it grows, it is God's will. If not, I plant something else and hope it likes Texas weather better than the last plant. LOL Don't everyone shudder at the same time now.

I ditched Facebook for good this year. Won't go back. I also frequent Reddit forums a lot. Mostly the /r/gardening subforum, but also /r/landscaping, /r/matureplants, /r/roses, /r/whatsthisplant, /r/houseplants, the /r/ratterriers (I have owned 2 of them) and /r/ketorecipes (I'm a low-carb food blogger 10 years now). Of course, the gardening subs at Reddit are nation-wide, but a lot of Texans post on them. I enjoy reading of others landscape dilemmas, flower/plant questions and gardening discussions. These are the only two gardening sites I frequent though. :)

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked buttoni_8b
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

Buttoni, I am not pointing any fingers of shame at you for your supposed lax gardening style. That would be like a kettle calling the pot black. I kill plants wholesale, That is why I do swaps and grow from seed. It is less painful.

• buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

I can cook up a storm, sew for myself or the home, knit & crochet beautiful stuff, needlepoint monstrous pieces, make beautiful leaded stained glass, am accomplished at the piano and many other creative things............but I just have a purple thumb....and that's a fact I am resigned to. What can I say? My Dad could easily have feed half of Texarkana from his 2-acre garden and had a beautiful front and back yard. I did NOT, however, inherit that gene. LOL But he did instill in me a love of all living things and nature, and thus my presence here.

• southofsa
    4 years ago

Buttoni-

I always say if I can grow it you have to try really, really hard to kill it. Of course I can't really post about what works because I have no idea what the name is! (It's the tall one with the purple flowers.....) Ha!

Lisa

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked southofsa
  • One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

Oh, dang, now I gotta come out of lurker mode, lol.

This is my first post in this subforum -- I almost exclusively hang out in Building A Home -- but I ever so dearly love y'all over here in TX Gardening. <3 I, like so many of you, don't do FB.

I'm just getting started with flower gardening in Central Texas, so feel I have very little to contribute. I'm currently just keeping my new baby trees alive (1 Southern Mag 'Teddy Bear', 1 Southern Mag 'Little Gem', 1 live oak, 1 wax myrtle, 1 baby-baby wax myrtle that I yanked from the base of the mother plant back in February, 2 Mexican Oaks, and 1 struggling Loquat), and planning to add more in the fall (another Maggie -- probably DD Blanchard -- as well as a couple of Mexican Olives, Anacacho Orchids, Fragrant Ash, and 'Catawba' crepe myrtles).

I'm currently waiting for some online mail-order own-root miniature roses to come back in stock so that I can dress up some flower beds, as well as Passionflower 'Incense' to grow on one of those mushroom trellis thingies. Oh, and gotta grab some Confederate Jasmines to cover my fences, lol!

Anyway, I wanted to let y'all know that some of us are just a bit shy, but we're here. ;-)

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked One Devoted Dame
  • tjayars1
    4 years ago

Im an infrequent poster but avid reader. Some of these post remind me why I became so interested about six years ago. A wealth of knoledge and interest in trying new things with the understnading you may fail. Texas is so varied I'm not going to attempt to answer questions about things on the gulf coast, east Texas, or far west Texas, etc. I don't care if you call a Sago a palm or think Im silly for taking my lemon wedge home from a resturant for my compost. I'm interested in natural soil improvement, natives, biodiversity, etc.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked tjayars1
  • buttoni_8b
    4 years ago

Welcome OneDevotedDame and tjayars1. I've only been here 4-5 years and STILL consider myself a newcomer. I'm learning here along with the rest of you. Lots of knowledgeable people here that understand we all have to start somewhere in that knowledgebase. :)

• Dan H z8b SA, TX
    4 years ago

Another newbie and (mostly) silent lurker here. I feel like a 2nd grader who snuck in to an empty seat in the back row of Botany 201 classroom. Finally got a yard & garden of my own 5 yrs ago, around age 60. Previously had studied food and medicinal plants, essential oils, plant pigments. Now I'm having to learn firsthand about insects, weeds, thorns, wind and weather. Thank goodness for this forum (and the GW archived discussions).

That's funny to hear about the early years when you weren't supposed to make reference to other garden discussion websites.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Dan H z8b SA, TX
  • margeetx
    4 years ago

Still here but haven’t posted a lot....dog-gone health issues....of course because I retired the September will be 2 years. I depend on all of the really smart gardingers ( is that even a word!?!?!). Margeetx

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked margeetx
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    4 years ago

Hi, I'm still here too since the Spike days. I never got sent to Disneyland but have friends that did :-)

I've been on a Kindle reading binge for the past year and my gardening posts have taken a back seat. Nothing new really in a long time, I love native plants which aren't always trendy or flashy, but are true workhorses.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    4 years ago

Had to look it up, but should have remembered it was garden recovery and changes after the 2011 blistering drought (heatwave) that prompted me to get a GW account in 2012. That's when a lot of the TAMU and 1980s (or earlier) local club gardening schedules and recommendations I'd used successfully for years failed badly.... and tightening water restrictions emphasized that some serious rethinking was becoming essential. I'd been sporadically browsing and searching GW since around 2007, so already knew there was a lot of expertise on native and well-adapted plants - especially on the Texas forum. The advice, encouragement, and occasional trades here have been wonderful. Yard is still "rough" in too many places, but is showing signs of a work in transition.

• abarbie4me2
    4 years ago

Still here... I post a lot of my garden pics to my ideabooks and get on to read what everyone else is doing once in awhile but that's about it. Soon as I get off work I'm in the garden seeing tons of stuff I stay behind on lol. My "to do" list never gets any smaller

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked abarbie4me2
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am heartened by all the responses! Thank you. I know lots of things get in the way of posting and responding to GW posts, but I hope enough of us old timers will stay active to keep it interesting and alive enough to attract new people to the site.

The two sayings that I adhere to are "I'd rather wear out than rust out" so I keep moving, and "Old age isn't for sissies". Sure don't want to give in and be a sissie either! LOL

Really, I think gardening has kept this body younger than it would ordinarily have been without all the digging, planning, pruning, watering, hauling, weeding, and enjoyments of interacting with other gardeners as well as being out in nature. How about you?

Abarbie, I keep forgetting about all the fabulous photos you have in your Idea Books. Gonna' go look now. Maybe you could remind us when you put new pictures in.

I know there are a few more out there that haven't checked in ... we're waiting ... :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow -- abarbie4me2 has 28 Idea Books, many sorted by month, others are visits to special gardens and plant swaps. I looked at June 2019 and saw lots of beautiful flowers including many hibiscus, at least one of which has dark foliage like Omar's 'Starry, Starry Night'. I think abarbie grows about every plant known to mankind and she grows them well! Just click on her name and it will take you to her Houze page. Enjoy!

• memetexas
    4 years ago

https://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/8211038b0cb5e0da_3472-w220-h260-b0-p0--.jpg

Does anyone know the name of this purple plant that I use to have?

It's in abarbie's April idea book

• abarbie4me2
    4 years ago

persian shield

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, it's common name is Persian shield. It's a gorgeous thing. Blue Girl gave me one of the two she got on sale a couple of years ago. It grew very well in an all shade spot, but of course didn't come back after winter. If I run across it I'd buy another.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

abarbie4me2, You should make an entry in the forum every month reminding us of a new book so we can oooh and ahh.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't have anything substantial to add to Margeetx post about pink pampas grass, but thought it odd that there is no comment box; not for me anyway. Apparently others have been able to reply. Anybody else ever NOT see a box in which to write a comment?

• memetexas
    4 years ago

Huh, I'll go look...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Meme, I read your latest comment on the pink pampas grass, but still no comment box showing up for me. Out of curiosity I went to the other sites you posted that thread on and none showed for me there either. Weird. So I dunno' ....

• memetexas
    4 years ago

Maybe you should try logging off and then sign back in and see if that clears it up?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    4 years ago

I don't have a comment box either on the pink papas grass thread. Using Windows 10, in Firefox 67.0.4

I don't remember running across that issue before either, Roselee.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

Complain to the powers that be. Remember it a long while back but it rectified itself. I am fine now.

• peacockbleau
    4 years ago

My name was soxxxx many years ago. I have had trouble commenting on this site ever since it changed to houzz. I am still able to read the postings without difficulty.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked peacockbleau
  • almcclur Amanda z9a San Antonio
    4 years ago

I started here when it was gardenweb too but I don't see the actual year anywhere. My first post says 2004, but I don't see all of my posts on that page, so I don't know. I didn't love the changes and still think the searching and organization of this forum is less good than before, so I pouted for a few years but I guess I've accepted the new reality. I like that you can search for topics and get long-form information from experienced gardeners as opposed to fb where it's really just short, quick replies. Often the answers here can be more specific to my needs in South Texas than the articles written for the general public. If I want to know if something will overwinter in San Antonio there is no better source on the internet than the experts here!

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked almcclur Amanda z9a San Antonio
  • peacockbleau
    4 years ago

I had several things in SAVED or whatever the technical heading was in the old forums. I would like to see them but cannot figure out how to retrieve them.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

I am of the "It is what it is" philosophy. It is the people that I come here to converse with. The bureaucracy is a flawed thing. What else is new. I will deal with all the rough edges for now. It is good to hear from you Amcclur and Sox AKA HU-629.....

• sabalmatt_tejas
    4 years ago

Although I don’t post much- I’m still here and have been involved in plant message boards since ‘96 or ‘97. I’ve met wonderful people and really enjoy learning and being inspired through others’ experiences and sharing of knowledge and plants. I’m not a FB’er but always enjoy the posts, talking to friends and making new ones.

Matthew

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • loreleicomal
    4 years ago

I'm still here but facebook is so much easier to post on. Problem with fb is that everyone has an opinion, not an educated guess and there are a lot of old wive's tales floating around concerning gardening. Also,I posted on another HOUZZ gardening page and got no responses to my questions so I rarely even look at other sub groups.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Matthew, and all of those who replied above; thanks for checking in and staying around!

Lorelei, I joined a couple of Facebook Texas garden sites to see what they were like and those are my thoughts exactly; a LOT of over inflated opinions from so many people that it's hard to keep up, and then finally one of the moderators will step in and give some useful information and links.

But I don't see how it's easier to post on Facebook than Garden Web unless it's something to do with smart phones which I don't use to post.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone on here and hope everyone will begin posting more. It seems you already have ... :-)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

Hey is anyone else getting a slew of already read and posted entries.?I have gotten made 20 today.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mara, no I haven't.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

I was getting things days old . It has stopped. Weird

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mara, today I got several Houzz emails with comments which, when I click on the green 'see comment' box, would place the new comment in the center of the thread instead of the end making it all very confusing. Maybe that's what you were getting.

• Sylvia Gordon
    4 years ago

Thanks for posting this, it's been fun reading about everyone.

I too have been here since the old Spike days!

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Sylvia Gordon
  • darlenegalindo
    4 years ago

I'm still here as well. I lurk a lot. Don't have a lot of time to jump on lately. I do tend to use Facebook more though. I have been around since the Spike days as well. I love posts that have pictures in them.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked darlenegalindo
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Darlene, it's great to know you're still here if even just to lurk. I like posts with pictures too. Go ahead and jump in with a quick comment once in a while, okay?

• darlenegalindo
    4 years ago

I will Roselee. Thanks!

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked darlenegalindo
  • PRO
    Bag of Bees
    4 years ago

I haven’t posted in a few months now simply because of the fact that I upload lots of photos and more than once the site has lost my post. It’s really disappointing to spend the time sharing a bunch of images with lengthy captions only to hit submit and see it didn’t post properly. I mostly visit from mobile and it’s not very mobile friendly. I’m older and I personally like the format of forum style social media, buts times-a-changin’. Most places are committed to short format posting. Topics that cycled through quickly and cannot be bumped. Individual comments rather than group discussions. Thoughts condensed down to 280 characters. Even sites like Reddit that have a more traditional forum style layout with push topics off the front page within a day so conversations are forced into truncation. Oh well, it is what it is!

I think maybe it’s time to bump my old gardening post now that I’ve made a bit of a rant about social media, haha.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Bag of Bees
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    4 years ago

I think that there is a limit of 4 or 5 photos per post now. I am not sure about that. I don't think it is a consistent rule . But I will devide up the post into multiple posts when I have a lot of photos so I done't sabotage myself. Irritating. Do other people find this to be true?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Katherine, I've been missing your posts and think maybe it's time to bump it up and share with us 'slow goers' here. I agree about the fast moving social media groups. It's hard to find a post or comment that you want to reply to if you don't do it at the moment you see it; much less to get to know people.
    "Social media"? Hmmmm. Very impersonal I'd say.

Though I've never had a problem with loosing posts since I do all from a computer, but I can understand the frustration of those using their smart phones.

• PRO
    Bag of Bees
    4 years ago

Oh my gosh I just spent half an hour writing up a huge post with tons of pictures and went I hit submit it said “error.” Post is gone. Thats why I haven’t been posting, hahah. Maybe a little later I’ll try to post again from my desktop machine but right now I’m feeling grumpy.

• PRO
    Bag of Bees
    4 years ago

Alrighty - I bumped! :)

• memetexas
    4 years ago

One thing I've heard people do to save a long post before clicking the submit button is to copy and paste it and save it in a Word Doc. That way if it disappears you can do it again quickly because you have a copy. Then after it posts, just delete your copy.