SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

Head Count/Roll Call: Who is still here? Thank you for your replies!

portlandmysteryrose
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

If everyone who is still here (at some level from infrequent check-ins to regular visits) following the latest Houzz/GardenWeb discombobulation could take a moment to post a reply, I'd truly be grateful! And to anyone who is on the fence and can be swayed in any way by my heartfelt request, please hang around for awhile to see if you can tolerate participating in the forum after the software bugs depart.

I was an ARF lurker years before I mustered up the courage to post. I followed all sorts of members, learning from the variety of experiences and recommendations as I read a "real time" garden book's worth of memoirs and how-tos. Antique rose lovers and cultivators, preservationists and historians, educators, designers and the rose breeders who appreciate both the value of old roses and the importance of thoughtful, passionate creative hybrids are a very special and unique subset of rose gardeners. There is an intellectual aspect to this forum which appeals to me as well as a community oriented one. This forum attracts a very thoughtful, very caring and compassionate set of human beings who all love roses, especially historical ones...from all around the world!

I wish that I had had more opportunities in the past to get out and about into the various rose communities. Enjoying the company of face to face friends on the forum is one of the loveliest of ways to expand those friendships and remain in touch in between rose society meetings and visits. Various obstacles over the years have precluded those face to face connections for me, but through this forum, I have made worldwide internet friendships as well as the ones just across town and state that are now my face to face friendships. I am becoming more determined than ever, obstacles be darned, to make live connections around the Pacific NW and beyond. I have joined the Heritage Roses Group. I have also been trying repeatedly to join the PNW subgroup on Yahoo as well...if my technology will just cooperate--sound familiar? :-) Claire is a wonderful ambassador and one of the most generous of people on the planet.

Christopher was my first "outside" connection across the miles after he reached out about an Indigo-DFLED2 swap. This was a big step for me, and I bumbled my various emailed exchanges of personal and rosey shares. He was one of my first "outside connections" from this forum and holds a special place in my heart as I follow all his ambitious rose adventures with great interest and encouragement. Dear Patty was another early "outside" connection. :-) I had one of my first garden-clog-in-my-mouth conversations with Ingrid who is, fortunately, always gracious! I treasure the friendship we have nurtured and developed over the years and feel a personal connection to her climactic and other ups and downs. I have discovered that we share social and environmental viewpoints, and we both adore Lisa! Connecting with independent rose breeders like Kim Rupert and Paul Barden--who are so thoughtful, down to earth and personable-- has deepened my appreciation for rose cultivation, broadened my living experience of roses and inspired me to share their passion with my students. I am still in awe that I know them either from a face to face visit or conversations across the miles, and I can walk though my garden an commune with their creations! Both have been beyond generous to me. Jeri, Claire and Anita are ambassadors: open, honest, experienced and so generous and welcoming with their plants and their advice. They converted me. I am now moving into the preservationist camp, carrying on their traditions. Claire sent me so many OGRs that I have lost count! John across town is a rose friendship match set up by matchmaker Claire. We met because she hooked us up through a rose exchange. :-) It gives me so much joy to chat back and forth about Portland challenges and celebrations! All the TX gardeners on this forum hold a special place in my heart because I grew up in TX. It will always be part of me. Sabalmatt and I share both rose love and a social understanding as well as a place/former place of residence. BlueGirl sent me a rose and was an outside connection through another forum member. Twice the connection! When Hurricanes hit TX and elsewhere in the SE, everyone's welfare matters deeply to me. Alana and I have exchanged many comments over the years. She has offered me roses, and her warm heart feels like home to me. Linda and I share southern roots and rose love and could probably sit down in lawn chairs, with a couple of glasses of iced tea and get down to really good conversation. We have both loved and lost family. Virginia I miss very much--her spirit, her humor, her antique text posts, her self! Chris and I also rose exchanged and drop each other various communications to touch base about a shared Barden rose we both grow. We've never met in person, but suspect I'd have a grand time touring his gorgeous garden and talking through a range of topics. Karen is a piece of home because I used to live in MN. We both love OGRs and Barden roses! The Canadians on the forum feel like extended friendships from my MN years, and I have always wanted to live in Canada, so touching base with them is like touching an unrealized dream. I miss Campanula and am so relieved that Marlorena still posts here! I visited the UK once, years ago,and loved it. I had always hoped to return, and I feel like I do travel there off and on as Marlorena shares photos. It's like sitting in a garden with a friend and admiring the work and the love that has brought about our shared experience. I would be lost without Melissa's garden journal! She has PNW roots, as well as FL ones, and now her emotional, intellectual and artistic connection to Italian gardening takes me halfway around the world each time read her posts. I miss Anna Lyssa! I hope Nik continues to post. He is one of a kind! I am thrilled each time Daisy posts photos of her garden. Sheila feels like my kindred spirit, Oregonian rose gardener and comrade. I marvel at the garden she has created from scratch! The California gardeners are all very special to me. I hold a fondness for CA and its cultural influence on the country. I have spent some good deal of time in CA and have a number of friends who reside there. The CA rose rescuers make the world a beautiful place, as do the TX rustlers and their descendants! I have friends and family in FL and follow the posts from that region. I delight in sharing Sultry's and other's experiences and have discovered that Cedemas and I are both Carol/teacher/collie lovers! Jin, you are one in a million! Krista, it is wonderful to enter into a possible rose exchange with you! Growing your grandmother's rose would be an honor, and I look forward to growing our friendship and your rose. Titian, Bart and Rbehs, please don't go anywhere!

I am running very long in this post, and could name at least 20 more forum members who touch my life every day. I will say that I miss and grieve for Florence. At some point, she stopped posting, and since I know she passed her 80th birthday, I am afraid she may not be returning to post again. The thought brings genuine tears to me eyes. The words we post are links to real people, and I appreciate each one of you for who you are on the other side of my computer screen.

Just as I have begun to dive deeper into forum relationships, Houzz has gone kablooey! Really, Houzz? Without this forum, I would never have developed some of my most treasured connections, relationships which radiate through and beyond the forum. Without this forum, I would lose access to those members that I am currently in touch with daily or weekly, and I would lose the unfolding opportunities for future online and offline relationships with the passionate, analytical, generous, determined and diverse set of international rose lovers that occupy this space. I hope everyone can muddle through this mountainous bump in the forum's journey, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you have given me over the years!

Please pardon any typos. I am writing with a 7-year-old at my elbow. :-)

Carol

Comments (92)