SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_j_gw

Roll-call - Who's still with us?

Maggie_J
18 years ago

This forum has been really slow lately and many people who used to contribute regularly seem to have dropped away. So I'm wondering... Who is still with us?

Comments (58)

• turnkey4099
    18 years ago

Well, I'm still here but thinking about leaving. I did notice that the dial loading has greatly impoved. Yes, a lot of people left due to the that reason. A lot left due to too much of one thing or another and some have left due to outright nastiness of some of the posters. That didn't bother me too much as I just ignore it unless I am personally insulted.

Harry K

• judeth_ann
    18 years ago

I'm still here and I'm not a farmer anymore. It's a addiction - everyday I check to see if someone has added to the "Journal", then I read the posts. I wish Jaime would let us know how he made out with his new house and his wife/daughter were having riding lessons - my daughter has two horses - I'm too old to learn to ride but I brush and love the horses. How's "Punkin"? The Gals in Australia? I love looking at the pictures in the Gallery. Keep up the good work, those of you who still take part.

• Related Discussions

Roll Call

Q

Comments (40)
    Hi everyone. My name is Katie and I live just south of Germantown near Memphis. We just got our place here in August of 2004 and its my first real house with a yard. We have a yard of about 1/2 acre. We are having the greatest time getting things like we want them. We learned from experience that nothing grows where we are unless we do raised beds because of the heavy clay that was brought in to fill in our lot. We learned how to do them at the spring plant swap last year (2005). We came home and started building raised beds around the house. This year my DH built us 6 raised beds for our vegetable garden. We built them out of 1x8 untreated pine boards -- the cheapest way to go that we could find. We used the wall street journals that I brought home from work to line them with and have begun filling them with bagged leaves we picked up in the neighborhood, last year's grass clippings and some bags of topsoil bought at the store mixed in. We have also lined the spaces between and around the beds with newspapers and covered it with pine straw and it looks quite nice. We still have quite a bit of work to go before we can get anything to grow in the beds, but I have hope that it will be better than our attempts last year. Right now my DH is putting lattice up on some 4x4s we put up last year. We tried chicken wire, but it didn't work very well. We have two muscadines that have come back to grown up on the lattice we hope, as well as a wisteria on the front. We will have to build another one in the far back as we also have two white grape plants that came back. I will share some photos from this year later on for anyone who wants to see our raised beds. Katie & Rich (formerly DirtDiggingLady)
    ...See More

A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?

Q

Comments (23)
    Most of the archives seem to still be here, although they might not show up initially in a search. Fortunately for me, my clippings were saved, and the links there to some of the older threads still work. I never saved a link to the first Shelly Bean thread, though... so I hope someone still has a link to that one. I did notice that some of the longer posts (such as were often posted here on the Bean Forum) have been truncated, with some info cut off. I wonder if the limits to thread length previously imposed by GW will still apply? If we can have longer, multi-year discussions on some topics, that would be a good thing.
    ...See More

ROLL CALL: Who is Left on The Garden Party?

Q

Comments (30)
    There are times when I just long for the days where we could get together here at the garden party and talk to each other. What a time we had! We laughed, had food fights, went on trips to faraway places (virtually) complete with cooks, housekeepers, cabana boys to bring us drinks. Some of us Jillian, Wanda, Maryanne, Michelle, Kathy Jane, Di my sister Gail and I rented a farm house in West Virginia for a long weekend once. We really had a great time. I keep in touch with Wanda the others are still around somewhere, at least I truly hope so. Most are on Facebook. Michelle owns her own Kitchen Store business, I see her on her Facebook page. Life and death happens, and we must go where we must. I am no longer a caregiver having lost my sweet husband Neil in 2013 and my daughter Katrina in 2018. I still travel some with friends and family and still have an adventuresome bone or two left in this old body, I recently took up Zip Lining, a fun new hobby. I can just hear Marda and Gandle saying you go Jan.
    ...See More

Roll call .................

Q

Comments (67)
    I haven’t posted in a few months now simply because of the fact that I upload lots of photos and more than once the site has lost my post. It’s really disappointing to spend the time sharing a bunch of images with lengthy captions only to hit submit and see it didn’t post properly. I mostly visit from mobile and it’s not very mobile friendly. I’m older and I personally like the format of forum style social media, buts times-a-changin’. Most places are committed to short format posting. Topics that cycled through quickly and cannot be bumped. Individual comments rather than group discussions. Thoughts condensed down to 280 characters. Even sites like Reddit that have a more traditional forum style layout with push topics off the front page within a day so conversations are forced into truncation. Oh well, it is what it is! I think maybe it’s time to bump my old gardening post now that I’ve made a bit of a rant about social media, haha.
    ...See More
  • eric_wa
    18 years ago

Ma'am, Yes Ma'am, Private Ellison 9th Infantry Company D

I'm the one closest to the Royal Marine. Thats my brother looking at you.
    {{gwi:34379}}
    I'm back on GW after being absent for about a year. Things have changed.

Eric

• sullicorbitt
    18 years ago

I'm still here, I try to check this forum regularly. This group has been so very helpful to me this past year in my chicken endeavors. I do not live near any poultry people so the posters here were my only link to the chicken world when I took the plunge and ordered my 16 chicks. The support and knowledge I received could not have be duplicated through any book I could buy.

I have felt the resentment of some for all the poultry talk and often am reluctant to post at the risk of annoying them. But I love chickens and sometimes just can't help myself :)

I have since found a poultry site where I post regularly but miss my friends here.

-Sheila

• country_dreams
    18 years ago

Hi,

I am fairly new to rural living and to this forum. I do check it often and read all of the posts that are of interest to me which is most of them. :)

As I explore each of my "wishes" for a type of critter to add to my property, or try to find sulotions to some of the problems, I value the comments of those of you who have so much more knowledge than I do. The experences of those who have already "been there" is a great teacher.

So from that point of view, there may be many people who are benefiting from this forum (and others) that never post.

Thankfully, my mac does not have pop ups, but posting is sometimes almost impossible because of the slow thing.

And, with a lot of reality checks, I have only added a few very pretty rabbits to my critter list in the last year that I have been here. So I have my "from town" dogs and cats, and the bunnies. But still wishing.... and doing reality checks.

Please keep posting your experences. Carol

• sharon_sd
    18 years ago

I check in from time to time. I don't get floating ads anymore since I blocked Java scripts. I was considering dropping out in frustration.

I do think that it is turning into a mostly poultry forum, which doesn't interest me. We raise sheep and make hay.

• ceresone
    18 years ago

guess i'm guilty too then, i guess we talk about what WE, personally have, mine, i have chickens, horses, dogs and cats. if i need info, like for the chickens, this is the spot i HAD been turning to for info, however, sheep, rabbits, etc dont interest me, so i've passed up that post, hay, well only the price and quality interests me, as we have to buy.
    but--we must remember, some of us are thin-skinned, and critical remarks drive us from the forum, whether or not it is intentional. jamie and i didnt always agree, and i too, miss him-but-it WAS the forum that drove him away.

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I stopped posting awhile back, seemed like some of the new participants were kinda rude. Messages with ALL CAPS and lots of EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!, that sort of thing. I still check in from time to time.

• amiz5904
    18 years ago

Me too - still here, mainly because of my chicken addiction! Everyone has always been so helpful whenever I've had a problem or a question. But I've definitely noticed that the posts are getting few and far between.

• Siamese
    18 years ago

I have been coming on here for a few years and noticed that there have been a lot less posts lately. I use pop-up blockers and havent really noticed a problem with loading (with my slow dialup) I love chickens so enjoy all the 'fowl talk' I dont really have any complaints except that theres less posts now.

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

I'm here...check the forum every day at least once...

• Miss_Kitty
    18 years ago

I'm still here, just been so busy finishing the inside of the barn that I haven't the energy to post much. Plus I have another computer oriented project that has started to occupie the rest of my time.

It's the fault of this forum that I bought chickens last year, there was so much talk about them! But I still have the ducks and the horses.

This forum has gone through many many changes over the years. I think we will find that more changes occur over time. The main thing is that it is still populated with good people. (That's all of you!) I've been posting since 1998, when we were renting space for the horses and had just got the ducks.

Because of a thread on naming farms, I got the name for our place: "Jordan's Croft" (As croft is the Irish name for a farm of 5 to 10 acres.) And I've learned to put up web pages, gotten feed-back on them and sold my 4 legged duck all because of this forum. So this has been a pretty significant "place" in my life.

Some folks HAVE taken life in Cyber Space far too seriously, and moved on to green pastures. But they always have the option to return. I suspect they are lurking out there, keeping quiet track of the forums.

Take care!
    Kitty

• teresa_va
    18 years ago

I still check in at lease 3 times a week. But, yea it is slow compaired to what it use to be. Not too many cow, and actual farm ? anymore mostly chicken and duck stuff. But I still enjoy seeing what people write. teresa

• Maggie_J
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good point, Velvet... I too enjoy reading posts even on animals I never expect to raise. Horses, for instance, or cattle... I'm never likely to have either, but I like to read about other people's all the same.

• Rose_Qld
    18 years ago

Still look in regularly (Hi, Judeth!) but have found myself more of a voice at another place, where the topics are separated. Chooky talk doesn't worry me, the balance may still even out here if/ when more people with other interests post. All the iVillage changes and people politics just wash over me and been using Firefox for a good while now so no problems there. Life's definitely too short for sweating small stuff :)

• mountainman_bc
    18 years ago

I'm still here. I just had modzilla firefox put on and not one ad so far!
    I've been busy, reading for the most part. I plan to post more often. I just have way more questions than answers....

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

hello everyone
    i'm here too.
    i read this every day!

• littleredhen
    18 years ago

I'm still here, just don't officially get in here too often, as I work full time, and like another said, my home dial-up pc is super slow. I have chickens that I die over, so most of the chicken talk interests me. I also have a huge love for other farm animals and do enjoy many of the topics.

• judyag_44
    18 years ago

Hi, All!
    I check in real often and add posts when I have anything to add. Enjoy hearing about all the different things that you all are involved in. Am used to posting on the AOL Boards where the interchange can be really brutal so have not been bothered by anything happening here.

Check in most days....had never considered being concerned about exclamation points! 8) I have enjoyed learning a little bit about what others are doing and feeling like I had could ask for help here, if needed.

Hi, Judeth and Ceresone! Have been really concerned about you having to get rid of your chickens, C. Hope it all works out without that.

Guess the slowness of posting is the worst of it. Sometimes the letters "freeze" in mid-post and then I have to wait interminable times to continue. Does that happen to anyone else?

Hang on all. Spring is on its way and I'll bet things pick up then.
    Judy

• dumas
    18 years ago

i'm still here ,don't post alot but i do read and jump in every now and then.

• shellybabe
    18 years ago

I am new to the forum, only been on for about two weeks, but in that time I have learned, laughed and been able to share what knowledge I have with some others who have asked. I really enjoy reading posts, and commenting on them too. There is really something here for everyone no matter what animals if any you have.

• Roberta_z5
    18 years ago

I'm still here and instead of dreaming of living in rural America, now we do!!! We finally moved to our 58 acreas last fall and are trying to get out lives together out here. We love it, are retired and realize that "retired" just means "unemployed". HA!!!!

So with the last quarter of our lives, we are making huge changes - there is a feeling of freedom that just can't be described. Kids all grown up with lives and kids (lots) of their own and we just get to sit and watch without the burden of responsibility. We can, of course help if we choose to, but the real burden is gone now. I do expect this to be the best times of our lives!

Amazing how life just seems to get better and better as we age.

• underwood6
    18 years ago

I'm still here and continue to believe the site is well worthwhile even though I don't contribute often. Keep up the good work and I'm sure readership and participation will improve.

• dunwaukin
    18 years ago

I'm still here, Maggie, but it's soooooo slllllllow, that I just don't drop in as often. If a title isn't self-explanatory, I don't open the topic.

• fsaforo
    18 years ago

Flo here, I was a regular up until last year, when I lost my job and stayed home with my new twin granddaughters and new grandson.

Back now, seeking my usual comedy relief and great answers to numerous questions I have for the kind hearted folks that I've found on this forum.

Flo

• chick_mom
    18 years ago

I have been sooo busy since Thanksgiving that I haven't checked in. Things are quieting down now and I will be able to be here every week.. I can't express my gratitude for all the concern and info I have received here.. Having only chickens and dogs so far limits my input but I love hearing and learning about other frm animals and issues..

Kit

• stephen
    18 years ago

I are back lots and lots of new folks. been gone foe awhile doing other things were cuting back at the farm expantion by contraction, in other words were not doing a 1/2 ac garden this year,the cost to grow was more than what grew. we have not had rain or snow this winter and my wife has become an invlid that take a lot of my time but we still have our potbelly pigs and aussydogs, found a old feed bill from 10 years ago $4.00 for craked corn now $10.00. does any know about or have alpaca? u-ll have a good day Stephen

• leannepa
    18 years ago

Hello Everybody. I'm STILL here, not as often as in years past but I still am compelled to check in about weekly. Happy to see familiar old friends names as well as some new ones.
    waiting for spring here..

• gldno1
    18 years ago

I'm still checking in regularly, but find I only post when someone asks a question that I feel I can help with.

Roberta, we are retired too and think it is the best time of our lives in some respects, but miss the daily grind of the dairy. I do love being able to kill as much time reading or on the computer and not feel like I should be doing something else.

I thinks lots of the others have moved to a more "farming" oriented forum, including me, but I still check in.

• arky2
    18 years ago

thought i posted here the other day, but i don't see it anywhere. i started posting in 2002, but haven't posted in a while. we have dsl now so maybe i'll make it back once in a while. not that i have a lot worth saying. i am on the learning end of organic gardening, and my goats just eat grow and have babies-no health probs to speak of. now keeping goats fenced is one area i have some experience or should i say experiences with, oh, and maintainng good relationships with the neighbors!

• cheribelle
    18 years ago

I'm still here, but not as often.

• sumac
    18 years ago

I still lurk regularly and post occasionally. Some weeks I log on daily other times weeks go by before I check in. I love all the bird talk as I have ducks and chickens, but I also love any post having to do with rural living or farm life. The bird forum (wild) was what first brought me to gardenweb. Now I hardly ever go there. I will say this forum has the best format of any I've ever visited.

• ladybug1
    18 years ago

I'm still here, but only check about once a week. I only look at threads that look like they might be of interest,looks like something I might know something about, or just makes me curious. Sometimes the pages load so slowly that I just get frustrated and go check out another forum. The pop up ads are an irritation too. I have Mozilla so I am not sure why I am getting them. Oh well, something to work on when I have more time. There just isn't enough time in my day anymore.

• bejay9_10
    18 years ago

ladybug1 -

I'm rather new (or perhaps an ol timer - just popped in to see what is going on).

Anyway, I may have an answer for the "pop ups" - if you visit the computer forum - find out how to do a "system restore" - go back to a time when there were no pop ups and reset your computer to that date. It works well for me.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

• dovekeeper
    18 years ago

I'm still here! Our place is coming along - we ordered our bees in January for a spring installation. This past weekend we added 6 laying hens (giveaways from someone who was moving back to the city). We're not sure what kind they are 5 black ones might be Australorps, and the lone gold one is anyone's guess. She lays chalky white eggs. We can't wait for spring!
    Rosie
    Copper Dog Hill

• rusty6
    18 years ago

Well its been so long since I've checked in that I didn't even realize that things were slow. But I do still look in maybe once a month and still see a few names I recognize. I have not been a big contributor in the past and most of you won't even recall my name. I try to keep things updated at my own webpage every month although winter is a slow time of year on the farm and not a lot of new input to post.

Here is a link that might be useful: my webpage

• zeke
    18 years ago

I am still here
    not as much as i used to be
    i havent had any problem with pop-ups .
    Zeke

• mamacotti
    18 years ago

Hey Maggie! I'm still around...just not quite sure which end is up these days. I'll admit I took a long break after a some new posters got very nasty. I figure it's best to pick my battles...so when she started getting under my skin I knew it was time to take a break.

Another reason is that we've finally completed our move from Texas (I miss you Carla...And all my other Texas friends!) to Missouri. We do love it here. Finally found our dream home...or it will be soon, when all the workers and designers, etc., are done. Found 33 acres in a cul-de-sac...can you believe it? We ALL got what we asked for...Dh got his farm home with no close neighbors, DS got a nice home close to his school and his friends, and I got to live at the same place where my cows live! And I'm pretty much completely remodeling the whole main floor of the new house. All my ducks and geese have been relocated to my parent's lake house at Toledo Bend, so they are loving it there, and I get regular updates on their antics. I gave my beloved chickens to a few friends who were neighbors to our farm in Houston...converts...and we hauled the cows and 2 donkeys up here with us. On a later trip back home to Houston I found 1 lone banty pullet (black tailed buff Japanese) who'd hidden herself away. She's now with us, as are our Labs, TootsieRoll and Buck. And, um, did I forget to mention my Punkin? She's here, too, with her own pasture and set-up that she shares with the donks. She's spoiled rotten, and becoming a problem anytime the weather is nice and breezy. I guess she thinks we are her herd mates? Anyway...she was our first bottle-baby. I'll know better next time, I hope.

Anyway, we're somewhat settled now and just trying to find the time to stop and go to bed every night. Don't have the set-up for chickens, ducks, or geese yet. Although I'm DYING for another pair of Embdens. And every single morning I wake up smiling, sit up and look out one of the many uncovered windows at the cows. Just what I've prayed for all along. Drink my coffee, pet the cows, and still be wearing my pj's.

I do miss the connections with you all. And Judith...I'm so touched that you remembered my Punkin. Thanks for that...

Friends are a nice to have, aren't they? I promise to try to check in more often now.

Suzie

• Maggie_J
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, Suzie! Wow, have we missed you! Glad you're back and thanks for the update on what's been happening. So glad you like your new place and that your critters are all doing well. (Of course I remember Punkin... who could forget the calf that liked to go for drives???)

I love geese too. My three are doing fine, the Pilgrim and the Buff are laying now and our gander (part Embdem) is being a pain. Embdems are beautiful geese, but they are not as gentle as the Buffs and Pilgrims. This gander left me with a bruise on my leg the size of my hand. I'm afraid he will be receiving a dinner invitation if he doesn't mend his ways!

Hope that now you've found your way back that you'll post often. I always enjoy your enthusiasm and sense of humour.

• bejay9_10
    18 years ago

I'd like to express my appreciation to all of the nice "chicken" folks who helped me with my chickens.

It can be a bit upsetting for a beginning "flock" owner (I have two), when things don't always go right. When the coyotes/coons broke in and killed the first two that I had, it was so discouraging. But after a bit of Yankee ingenuity (for lack of a better expression), I built a chain link fence, covered with galvanized hardware, and for the past year, the replacement hens have done quite well.

Velvet helped me several times with the molt period and reassured me when they had a short bout of loose droppings, and now they are back producing the usual 2 eggs a day, providing my g'daughter and I with a lot of nice deep yellow yolked eggs. From time to time, we share the excess, and everyone remarks how great really fresh eggs taste.

I'm one of those city folks, lucky enough to have 20 chickens in suburbia, but I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a nice treat, and the fertilizer is so great too. You should see my great garden! I have lettuce, green onions, broccoli, bok choy, and some great looking cabbages, plus lots of nice looking fruit trees. We really have enjoyed it all.

This is a great way to retire - I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Well - guess I'd better get to making the home made ice cream. Yesterday, I ground up pork for Italian sausage and have a picnic pork in my fridge that I'm brining to make ham (my first attempt). All of the inspiration has come from nice folks on these forums, who have been so gracious and sharing.

Bye.

Bejay

• Maggie_J
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bejay, I agree with you. The generous sharing of ideas and experience and the friendships that develop are the best things about a forum like this one. ;-)

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

Once in a while I come by for a looksee.

on the farm 17 years now
    karen

• donna37
    18 years ago

I still check in occasionally, but don't have much to say but enjoy reading what everyone is doing. My main complaint is how slow the pages load, don't have quite that much trouble elsewhere. Don't get the ads or pop ups.

Donna

• che_
    18 years ago

This is the first time I've stopped by in forever. Sure has changed alot. We're late calving this year, not even one yet...suits me fine! Any day now though..........

{{gwi:34381}}

• tankshill
    18 years ago

Wow, how things change. I have not logged on forever. last Jan I inhereted a couple of nephews for a few months. Not to bad except I found out I was expecting my third baby after I took them in. Morning sicknesss and someone eleses diciplin issuess... uggg!!

well things are great now, my nephews are with their mom and I have a new baby girl, shes allmost six months old. i logged on for chicken questions of course. I have not to many pop up issues, got the blocker on. My hubby is a computer guy so I'm set up well.

I used to get such a kick reading all the different types of stories. don't quite know what the contraversy is about. Its nice to know your all here though. I allways know where to go for great info and a funny tale.

Hope to have more time to read and get to know people.
    take care of you and yours. gina

• madspinner
    18 years ago

I'm still here... I just don't check in as much as I used to.

• chickadee_42us
    18 years ago

I still drop by occasionally also. Love to read the antics going on but do not have a lot to add, especially daily inputs. Work and a two hour commute (one from home and one returning home) take up the majority of my time, especially in the winter months.

Roxann

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

I didnt know it was still here.Found it by accident.
    Bulldinkie

• Debbie_T_in_NC
    18 years ago

Well, I have been here in "mind and soul" but very little "body'I have been working 65-70+hrs, per week, it leaves little time for posting. But from time to time I read...Hope everyone is ok and getting ready for spring.

• snycal
    18 years ago

Hello all,
    Velvet Sparrow I have read your name in another group but can't remember where (silkies?). How is every one doing? I haven't posted in about a year it seems but I do lurk. When I first joined the gardenweb I was living in a rental with my DH and had a porch with plants. I joined for the plants, you know... the container plants. Ok I now own 4.63 acres (lots of work for it here in CA), 6 goats, 1 meat pig, 30+ chickens (I am learning to show them), chickens eggs in an incubator, turkeys, quail, dog, three ducks, rabbits; one pregnant, a very small pond with fish and pheasant eggs in the incubator. I work full time and come home to massive amount of feeding chores. The funny thing is my plants are half dead. I can't keep the animals out of them and I don't have time to plant/cultivate. We do have a small veg. garden in a small grean house but its not much. I envy all those with experience in balancing the farm life with outside work life. I'm a wreck but I wouldn't give it up for the world. Oh and we will be getting babydoll sheep and mini cows in the summer. Lisa

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!