SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armoured

Home wifi coverage - mesh vs powerline / homeplug

armoured
4 years ago

A recommendation or suggestion for those struggling with poor household wifi coverage. We have struggled to get proper coverage throughout the house (too much brick and other physical interference). I've tried wifi extenders, as well as some similar solutions like better antennas. Mostly these helped a bit but not much, and often weren't very stable and still left some weird wifi coverage gaps.

I spent a lot of time researching mesh networks, and I wasn't convinced, and they all had gaps in technology or reported stability/speed or other things I didn't like - OR they were going to be quite a bit more than I wanted to pay to get assurance they were going to resolve my issues.

Based on price and availability, I ended up getting a few powerline/homeplug AV adapters to try. They create a data network over the electrical line, and some have feature to extend or create a wifi network at the other end. Because they're using electrical network for the signalling, they're not dependent on 'bouncing' data from one mesh hub to another (with physical interference inevitably weakening the data signal). They've worked far better than I had expected.

Your mileage may vary (it does depend on the house's electrical wiring), and I'm not knocking the mesh network approach or any vendor - just sharing the experience that in my case, the powerline/homeplug technology really did the trick for about a hundred dollars. In addition, once set up, it's been super stable with no issues at all. Far superior to the network extenders and other in-between solutions.

Putting this here as it seems this technology doesn't get a lot of buzz or attention compared to all the noise about mesh networks. I know the standards have changed over the years (I had some years ago that weren't very impressive), but it now seems a pretty effective standard.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus