SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewkuhn

Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?

Andrew K.
9 years ago

GW,

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is an amazing community that has been my #1 resource as my wife and I build our home and it's great to be a part of such a helpful community. Each "big decision" that we've had to make so far has been made with the experience/knowledge/and support of this community and we appreciate it.

Which brings me to my question today:

-We are acting as GC's on our build with an on-site project manager and the PM/Myself and our electrician walked the house and his initial electrical schematic to talk whole house lighting/recessed can placement, etc.

In researching for "Best Practices" I went 8 pages deep on this forum and didn't find much related to whole house decisions but did find DavidTay's very helpful guide to LED Recessed Cans Guide from 2012.

The best information I took from that and the other helpful threads in this forum basically said to go with a non-insulated halogen housing and then use the retrofit CREE LED bulb systems w/ integrated rings.

The electrician said his #1 fight with interior designers is they all want 4" and he wants 6" (old-school installer and they're cheaper obviously) but the light output is less as well which drives up prices as recessed cans are how electricians make most of their money. (I'm in the real estate industry so we have these "business discussions" with all my subs regularly).

My question to everyone is - has anything changed since 2012 in regards to the best option being going whole house 4" CREE CR4 retrofit kits with a regular non-insulated housing?

Also - when doing lighting is it really worth the extra $$$ to go 4" over 6"?

Any other brands or set-ups I should be looking at/considering?

I just emailed the electrician asking for the electrical schmatics from today's walkthrough so I'll post them as soon as I get them emailed to me if you guys would like.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Andrew

Comments (29)