SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

recessed can light not working-please advise

lsst
11 years ago

You guys have been great in helping me with all my electrical problems over the years and I appreciate it!

I have a new problem.

I have a non-insulated 6" recessed can light that was installed by an electrician 8 years ago in our new build.

The can is not accessible from the attic. It is between floors and has no insulation around it.

It suddenly quit working. I never exceeded the wattage and it had a 45 watt bulb in it when it quit working. It is a single toggle switch running just to this one light.

Troubleshooting I have:

1. Changed the light bulb more than once

2.Changed the toggle switch

3. Checked voltage - both the switch and socket are receiving current

4. Pulled on the metal tab in the socket to get a better connection between socket and bulb.

5. looked at wiring above socket (only what was visible)

Some extra facts that may or may not affect the recessed can light.

During the build we had a major leak and water poured in the wall through the can light and onto the floor. After the light dried out, it worked so nothing was done about it.

After 8 years could the water leak have caused corrosion to the point something is wrong?

The whole fixture- socket and inside of can is sprayed with

paint primer. The painters did not cover the cans when spraying. Could this have made the light malfunction early?

I think the manufacturer may have been HALO but I am not sure as the whole can is sprayed with white primer.I recall HALO being mentioned during the build

The double gang box also has a three way light to a chandelier. The chandelier light is on a dimmer. Could the heat of the dimmer cause problems with the wiring since both toggles are next to each other in the same box.

All other lights ( chandelier etc.) are working fine.

I have not pulled all the wires out of the gang box and checked for over heating etc. This is my next step. Since the switch and socket are showing voltage, I assume the wiring from the switch to the socket is fine. Is this a wrong assumption?

Could the thermocouple have gone bad? If so would the socket still show a positive for voltage?

If the thermocouple is bad does that require installing a whole new fixture?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (31)