Floof! On the topic of brownies...

amylou321

Are you a lover of the crispy edges or the gooey middle? I'm a strict middle eater. Me and my mom are good brownie buddies because she prefers the crispy edges.
I came across another ad for those brownie pans that make the whole brownie into a crispy edge. And I thought,"why would you want to do that?" But then I remembered how my mom loves the crunch on the edge.
I also prefer chewy and gooey cookies to crispy ones. And I dont really care about the crust on a pie, I go right for the middle.
Which are you? Gooey middle or crispy edge?

SaveComment43Like
Comments (43)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DawnInCal

Crispy all the way. I cut the edges off brownies for myself and give the middle to hubby. My favorite part of the pie is the crust, especially the edge. As far as cookies go, I prefer soft over crisp - go figure!

Save     Thanked by amylou321
amylou321

We would be good brownie buddies too!

Save    
marcopolo5

I think brownies look much nicer without the hard edges. So I force myself to neaten up those edges. It's a big sacrafice.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
OutsidePlaying

Gooey middle. And soft cookies, warm if available. With cold milk. Amylou are you the sister I never had?

amylou321

I might be! But I couldn't be your brownie buddy, you want the good part!!!!!

Save    
NewEnglandgal

Love the hard edge of a brownie but it absolutely has to have the gooey middle and yes to soft cookies! Warm chocolate chip are the best!

maifleur01

I like them soft in the middle but crusty on the edges. To get them like that I need to cut, separate leaving a small space in between and let them airdry for a day or two. That is if I can find the willpower not to eat them hot out of the over. To make the insides extra gooey I used certain brands of chocolate chips that I mixed into the batter before cooking. For a denser brownie drop the pan flat from several feet above onto a hard surface several times while still hot. It was explained to me that it compacts the brownie driving out both the steam and the air spaces.

1 Like Save     Thanked by amylou321
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I can be a brownie buddy! I rarely have any, but I like the crusty part with just a sliver of the soft part. Does that make sense? With cookies it really depends on the kind. Vanilla Kipferl have to be crips. Chocolate chip soft.

pudgeder

That's why my hubby & I fit together so well. He's the crusty part and I'm the soft center. :)

2 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
susanwv

Soft pieces, hubby likes the crispy corners. And never without peanut butter icing!!!

DawnInCal

Yep, amylou, we'd be perfect brownie buddies - and pie too!

bpath Oh Sophie

Crispy edges for me! Soft middles for others, and here we have harmony in the world :)

marylmi

Gooey middle for me.....and if it wasn't so late I might make some!

dees_1

IDC if they are gooey middle or chewy outside, my favorite brownie is the one I’m eating. :-)

3 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Kathsgrdn

Crunchy outer part with lots of nuts. I also like very hard, crunchy cookies.

caflowerluver

Gooey middle with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I like the edge crust on a pie but I also like the filling. And soft cookies over crispy crunchy ones.

ETA: correct spelling

watchmelol

Both. The gooey middle and crisp edges complement each other.

I do not like nuts or icing on brownies or triple chocolate overload with chips and such. I do like a soft moist chewyness type of gooey / over gooey wet.

gyr_falcon

Fudgy middle preferred. I also like soft, chewy cookies.

Raye Smith

I save the corners for myself and pecans are mandatory. I also like to substitute chocolate or coffee liquor for the vanilla extract in the recipe.

Uptown Gal

Both, at anytime! Love the edges of pie too.

nickel_kg

Edges of brownies, but middle of pies. So I'd compete with you and your mom both :-(

Rusty

No brownie edges for me, I want the soft, gooey center! Yes to walnuts or pecans in them, but no chocolate chips, please, and no peanut butter or icing, either. I do like (as in LOVE) good pie crust, but that seems to be a real rarity. I like homemade cookies soft and chewy, but a crispy edge can be good on certain kinds. And there are some that aren't supposed to be soft and chewy, shortbread for example.

So I guess I'm basically a soft and gooey middle kind of person. :^)

Rusty

jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

I like both - preferably with a glass of milk.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I must be the odd man (person) out :-) I prefer my brownies to be more cake-like....don't really care for much gooeyness in the center. But I do like a few crispy edges as well! As for cookies, it depends on the type - some need to be soft and chewy and others should be crisp so impossible to generalize.

And I have never been a fan of pie pastry - I would rather have a fruit crisp or crumble/cobbler rather than a crusted pie. And I really dislike the crimped edges.

kadefol

gardengal, that's exactly what I was going to post. Cake-like brownies all the way. I don't like them gooey or fudgey, they taste under-baked to me. I also don't much care for pie crust, better half usually eats mine and I stick to the filling. Cookies I usually prefer soft and chewy though, unless they're the kind which are meant to be crisp.

marilyn_c

I am like watchme. I like both parts, but I don't care for really gooey centers. I do like walnuts or pecans in them, but no icing or chocolate chips. I am odd....not crazy about chocolate, like most people are. I like chocolate pie. And when it comes to pie crust, I want it thin and crisp. Cookies...it depends on the type. I don't like big, really soft, cookies though, except once in awhile I get a craving for my mother's tea cakes.

bob_cville

Gooey, fudgey middle pieces for me. I too saw one of those weird serpentine pans that make every piece an edge piece and thought "What a nightmare!" :-) Also I usually will add chocolate chips and some type of liquor like Kahlua or DiSaronno. But no walnuts, almonds, peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts or another type of nut, and never, ever, ever any shredded coconut.

glenda_al

No nuts for me in brownies, please! Love fudgie brownies.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

LOL!! Sorry but a brownie without pecans or walnuts is not a "real" brownie in my book :-) And no liquor in mine either but espresso powder or cinnamon will intensify the chocolate flavor. And I never add chocolate chips either, as I dislike the hard chunk of choclate you bite into once they cool.....it is chocolate overkill!!

kadefol, that's my feeling as well. Too gooey or fudgey a center just seems like the brownie is undercooked. If I want fudge (which I never do), I'll just make fudge!

kathyg_in_mi

Crispy is my fave, but hold the chocolate chips!

maifleur01

It will depend on the brand of chocolate chips if they are hard when the brownies cool or melt into the brownie. It has been a while since I made brownies but another thing I did was put chips on top of the hot brownies as they came out of the oven. Waited a minute or so and spread the melted chips across the surface. The chocolate would stay soft for days. I always used the cheaper store brand real chocolate chips as I found the nestles and hersheys just did not melt the same way. I think the store brand had more fat in them. There used to be a brand "Goody" that made candy bars and chocolate chips that had a different mouth feel that would form a hard top film but be soft underneath.

amylou321

Gardengal, there is no such thing as "chocolate overkill." The very idea!!! ;)

I love chocolate chips or chunks in brownies. I do prefer that they stay gooey when cooled, which I find easily in boxes mixes. But I don't get upset if they harden back up, as long as the brownie around it is soft and chewy and ooey gooey.

As for nuts, I can take or leave them in brownies. They don't deter me, and they don't enhance them for me either.

Save    
nickel_kg

I like sugar-coated peanuts in brownies better than plain peanuts ... getting hungry!

sprtphntc7a

both! also love chocolate icing on them... rarely eat anymore but oh so good!!

Louiseab Ibbotson

This is my favourite brownie. I make the ganache for extra decadence.

https://gimmedelicious.com/2014/06/09/super-moist-fudgy-brownies-with-chocolate-ganache/

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Definitely prefer the edges, and I am also not a fan of "extras" in them, especially chips of any kind. Cookies - I prefer crispy ones, also; the only soft kind I ever make are molasses or my fresh apple drop cookies.

I don't like most pie crust (except my own!) very much. I agree with Marilyn_c, it needs to be thin and crispy/flaky. The part I like best is the bottom when it has absorbed juice or flavor from the filling (like in a fruit pie).

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Oh yes, there IS such a thing as chocolate overkill!! Especially if one is not a big chocolate lover to begin with :-) It's OK but a little goes a very long way. And adding chocolate chips to an already chocolate batter is just unnecessary in my book. I even cut the amount of chips I add to chocolate chip cooke dough as the recommended amount is way too much chocolate (and not enough cookie) for my taste.

amylou321

Gardengal, I think i would recommend a BLONDIE for you. ;0)

I even put chocolate ice cream on top of my triple chocolate ooey gooey brownies!

My sister will make chocolate chip cookies WITHOUT the chocolate chips for one of her chocolate hating kids. Sometimes she will put WHITE chocolate chips in them, but usually, just a plain cookie, which he loves.

Save    
maifleur01

For those that can not tell the difference many of the brownie mixes are made with cocoa not chocolate. Some types of which are what is called 'dutched'/ treated with alkaline to develop a certain flavor others are not. Each type plus the ones that contain just enough chocolate has a different flavor. There are some brands without doctoring them simply are lacking in chocolate flavor.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I like blondies!! They remind me of the flavor of chocolate chip cookies but wthout the chocolate........which is fine with me :-) I even like them iced with chocolate frosting but no chips, thank you. And especially not white chocolate, which I really don't care for!!

I know I am an oddball, but I have never been crazy about chocolate. If someone gifts me with chocolates, they can last months! And will sometimes get tossed out if I get bored with them :-)

amylou321

Send them to me!!!!!

1 Like Save    
KATHY

my favorite brownie recipe is five ingredient super easy brownies on blog.blueapron.com. I always have the ingredients on hand and can be ready in 35 minutes total. 30 minute cook time is perfect for me, still nice and gooey in the middle with no real hard edges. DH will ask for them at 10pm and I oblige because they are so easy!

DawnInCal

I agree with gardengal that there is such a thing as too much chocolate - kind of like too much of a good thing. I don't care for chocolate ice cream because it is just too much chocolate for my taste buds. Now, mix it 50/50 with vanilla ice cream and it is perfect. I would never put chocolate sauce over chocolate ice cream or chocolate ice cream over brownies or chocolate cake. That would be chocolate overload - sorry amy!

Count me in as another who loves blondies. My MIL made the best - I always looked forward to blondie day at her house!

Related Stories

Most Popular 31 True Tales of Remodeling Gone Wild
Drugs, sex, excess — the home design industry is rife with stories that will blow your mind, or at least leave you scratching your head
Full Story
Home Innovations Natural Swimming Pools: More Beauty, No Chemicals
Keep your skin and the environment healthy with a pool that cleans itself, naturally
Full Story
Most Popular Why Men Really Do Need a Cave
Don't dismiss cars, bars and the kegerator — a man space of some kind is important for emotional well-being at home
Full Story
Bathroom Workbook 10 Things to Ask Your Contractor Before You Start Your Project
Ask these questions before signing with a contractor for better communication and fewer surprises along the way
Full Story
Life Why a Designer Kept Her Kitchen Walls
Closed kitchens help hide messes (and smells) and create a zone for ‘me time.’ Do you like your kitchen open or closed?
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: The Well-Stocked Starter Kitchen
We’ve got all the kitchen basics and tableware you need (or that recent grad needs) to make cooking a joy
Full Story
Features Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
Most Popular 10 Low-Cost Tweaks to Help Your Home Sell
Put these inexpensive but invaluable fixes on your to-do list before you put your home on the market
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Countertop Materials: 5 More Great Alternatives to Granite
Get a delightfully different look for your kitchen counters with lesser-known materials for a wide range of budgets
Full Story