SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Floof post: Desserts

amylou321
5 years ago

What is your favorite? We can go by category:

Mine:

Cookie- Homemade chocolate chip. I use the Crisco ultimate chocolate chip recipe. Its the best!

Cake- Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Publix is my favorite place to BUY one, but my mom makes a SCANDALOUS truffle cake that is just....vulgar in the best way.

Pie- Pumpkin. With Cool Whip, not whipped cream. The stuff in the tub. I am not ashamed to admit it.

Ice Cream: Chocolate or Cookies and cream

Other: Cherry Cobbler

All time favorite: Brownies. I don't like the crunchy edges. I want the gooey middle part of the pan.

SOs:

Cookie- Homemade Oatmeal Raisin. I use the Crisco recipe for these too.

Cake- Blue velvet

Pie- Peach or sweet potato

Ice Cream- Homemade caramel milkshake- i make him 4 or 5 a week

Other-Whatever i concoct and shove in front of him

All time favorite- I think its definitely milkshakes.

Okay, your turn. Feel free to add or subtract categories to suit your preferences! Fruit, Candy, Sorbet, Pudding, whatever. There is no bad dessert!

Comments (31)

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I love Pistachio Mocha Torte that my DSIL makes for my birthday each year. I have the recipe and am now making it every year for a dear friend's b'day.

DH loves the strawberry pie that our neighbor used to make for him. They have had to move into assisted living downstate, so I made sure to get the recipe from her. It is fresh strawberries, no crust and the filling is sugar free, made with Jello SF strawberry jello and SF vanilla pudding that you have to cook! So yummy.

Will see if I have pics to post later.

amylou321 thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

• Related Discussions

Floof post: Pizza......the great divider

Q

Comments (62)
    I truly love pizza and there aren't many toppings I dislike -- even a light bit of anchovy adds a nice bit of flavor. Right now my favorite is kale or spinach or arugula, with goat cheese or feta. I am also fond of Canadian bacon and pineapple, vegetable with thin sliced eggplant and zucchini (Leucadia Pizza in Encinitas, CA made a wonderful one), and most any other veggie combo. Pesto instead of tomato sauce is great also. Simple, classic pepperoni occasionally. Fresh herbs. It depends on my mood on the day! When I make my own, I like to put a variety of veggies and greens, and use the muffaletta mix from Aldi (my DD likes the spicier version, but this is plenty hot for me). I might put a little meat on (whatever I have on hand) but usually don't. I'll dress up my favorite frozen pizza with extra herbs and veggies. What I don't care so much for is thick bready crust (the thinner the better), fried crusts, sweet tomato sauce, hamburger (just seems wrong), barbeque (likewise), green peppers (I love them in meat loaf but almost nowhere else) and multiple fatty meat combos. None of that would stop me from eating it, though!
    ...See More

Floof post: Salt and Pepper

Q

Comments (15)
    Rob333, I had the disposable S&P for a while and loved them- felt like a picnic every time we sat down to eat :) Amylou, those ramekins are way too cute! After the paper ones, I cleaned up some old wooden shakers we had and those looked great on the table. Then the in-laws gave us a pair of acrylic grinders for the holidays and I didn't want to hurt their feelings, so we have those on the table, along with a shaker of boring cheap salt- since I prefer it. By the stove we have a big stainless pepper grinder and a utilitarian looking glass salt grinder.
    ...See More

Floof/Groof post: Really food network?

Q

Comments (16)
    I thank the Food Network for introducing me to the old show "Cooking Live" hosted by Sara Moulton. It was really and truly "live" - how about that! She left the network because she was truly a teacher and not an entertainer. She can still be found on PBS https://saramoulton.com/   I had the pleasure of meeting her at a private function and had the privilege of confessing to her that she was the person who truly taught me how to cook (even though I was definitely all grown up at the time LOL) and use knife skills and well, it was a very special moment for me to meet a person who influenced my life. I do enjoy Diners/DriveIns/Dives for fun on Saturday night when we're having a cocktail and cooking dinner and Trisha Yearwood also for fun - but she does have some recipes that I enjoy and she conveys that it can be easy to cook.
    ...See More

Another RE Question (a floof post, as Amy calls them)

Q

Comments (21)
    My cousins' street is called 'Silent Sunday', and I grew up on a street called 'Tarpon' (we're in FL). It would be fun to think up new street names, I've never considered doing that before. The possibilities are seemingly endless. To be honest, tho, I prefer numbers to names. It's so much easier to navigate. I guess the best compromise is numbered streets that have names too. Manhattan's like that.
    ...See More
  • kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Of course my DSIL’s cake looks so much better than my leaning cake. But just as yummy!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Hmm, this can be tough -- I have a lot of contenders:

Cookies: homemade, hermits; storebought, Bahlson Hit cookies

Cake: Fannie Farmer cookbook recipe wedding cake filled with lemon curd & topped with raspberries or strawberries

Pie: It is a tie: homemade (by me) apple or homemade (by me) pumpkin

Ice cream: coffee. Baskin Robbins used to have a flavor called Viennese Torte -- a combo of coffee, chocolate and vanilla -- loved it

Pudding: Nilla wafer banana pudding

Kathyg_in_mi, the above mentioned cake is called "avalanche cake" in this house because I like too much lemon curd and the layers slide!

ETA Other: Deep Dark Gingerbread cake, or Dutch Honey Loaf -- both very moist, dense, spice/ginger loaf cakes.

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

Cheesecake, cannoli, chocolate layer cake

amylou321 thanked lucillle
  • Fun2BHere
    5 years ago

Talenti Chocolate Chip Gelato...I am totally addicted to the stuff.

amylou321 thanked Fun2BHere
  • sableincal
    5 years ago

Talenti Butter Pecan might be even better!

amylou321 thanked sableincal
  • wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

I'm going with things available today since so much was ruined by sales of companies and government interference with ingredients.

Cookies:
    Homemade - The oatmeal/raisin that comes off the Quaker Oats box and Butterballs (similar to a Mexican Wedding cookie but better).
    Store bought: I find myself buying the Mexican versions of the older products. Their sandwich cookies taste more like the old versions of our, like Oreos which are awful today IMO. I like the Marinela brand.

Cakes:

Homemade: Greek Karidopita or New York style cheesecake. No disgusting graham cracker crust.
    Boxed mix: Duncane Hines. Always.

Bakery: Burnt Almond Cake. From Peter's not Dick's for those in the know. LOL

Pies: Ollalieberry in the summer and pumpkin in the fall. No topping on pumpkin pie. Lemon meringue with real whipped cream instead of meringue. Fresh sugar sweetened strawberries in a single crust (NO glaze) with real whipped cream.

Ice cream: Marianne's White Spumoni or Strawberry. Treat's Black Raspberry Marble or Mango. A good Lemon Chiffon wherever I can find it.

Store bought: I'm eclectic. Novelties: Drumsticks and Ice cream Sandwiches and Klondike Bars.

Other: Cobblers and Crisps, Paska (a Russian e Easter dessert similar to cheesecake but even richer) Chocolate eclairs filled with real whipped cream, not custard.

Bakery other: Pineapple empanadas, Taro cakes, and Danish waffles.

What I miss from the past: Wonderful multi-layered mocha buttercream cakes from the bakery, a simple German coffeecake (similar to Enterman's but more buttery and the topping was more powdered sugar than anything else, my mom's apple pie. Best crust (anyone remember Fluffo?) and packed full of apples ,butter and sugar. Very simple, no raisins or spices really.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

Too many desserts I love having had a sweet tooth since day 1.

But I haven't had a chocolate cream pie in 100 years. Used to love them.

Another one I haven't had in a long time is chocolate layer cake with ice cream.

I always judge the lusciousness of a dessert by whether or not it makes my toes curl...

amylou321 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • User
    5 years ago

Droste, Perugina, Godiva need I say more....

amylou321 thanked User
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Cookie- Ina Garten's shortbread

Cake- Dessert Girl's Sesame Cake

Pie- It's a tie. I cannot choose. I used to have my mom make me a chocolate meringue pie with oatmeal crust for my birthday every year. I eat that one all by myself. But the five minute prep, 45 minutes to done, good ol' Southern fudge pie (everyone has this recipe) with or without the Reddiwip is fine

Ice Cream- Häagen-Dazs rum raisin. Unfortunately, I can eat an entire pint in one sitting

Other: sour cherry cobbler (it's our standby too :) The cobbler we make in my family has a sponge cake texture, not pie crust. My alternate cobbler is blackberry. I can't think of another one for this category, as I would've put the below in it, but it had to get my blue ribbon

All time favorite: Hershey's hot fudge pudding cake. Cake and pudding?! not to mention it's all warm and gooey. What's not to love?!

amylou321 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • georgysmom2
    5 years ago

so many, so little time...........I didn't think I could pick just one, but then cheesecake popped into my head. I love cheesecake and anything apple.

amylou321 thanked georgysmom2
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

chocolate anything

Anna Olson's cheesecake

amylou321 thanked blfenton
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

Cheesecake, especially key lime or pumpkin. Armaretto with a hazelnut crust is pretty good! I agree w/ Amy on the Crisco chocolate chip cookies....the best! Peanut butter cookies are a tie. I like apples cooked in a Brown Betty, still warm with vanilla ice cream on top.

Right now, I'm liking chocolate chip cookie sandwiches with vanilla ice cream in the middle.(Krogers sells them, store brand).

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Favorite cookie - lemon bars

Favorite pie - Key lime

Favorite cake - chopped apple with cream cheese frosting

Favorite ice cream - Talenti's Raspberry sorbetto or local ice creamery's signature Mora flavor (wild blackberry).

Favorite 'other' dessert - English trifle (followed closely by homemade pineapple unpsidedown cake)

don't really care much for cheesecake, brownies or any puddings (except for English steamed puddings). And I am not all that driven by chocolate anything.......although I do admit to a secret but infrequent fondness for Hostess cupcakes :-))

amylou321 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • kadefol
    5 years ago

Cookies - macademia white chocolate chip, oatmeal, lemon

Cakes - Black Forest Cherry Cake with Kirschwasser, French apple cake, chocolate cake with rum frosting, Tiramisu cake

Pie - apple, pumpkin, peach, all served with whipped cream

Ice cream - mint chocolate chip

Hubby agrees with most of the above, except natural vanilla ice cream for him. :)

amylou321 thanked kadefol
  • tennessee_swift
    5 years ago

Cookies: classic fat, soft, gooey chocolate chip cookies but with chocolate chunks instead of chips :)

Cakes: Mocha chocolate cake my Mom makes.

Pie: Pumpkin, but only around Thanksgiving. Otherwise I’m not a huge pie fan except for chocolate pie.

Ice cream: Chocolate caramel.

I like chocolate......

amylou321 thanked tennessee_swift
  • Rusty
    5 years ago

Cookie: Homemade oatmeal with raisins and walnuts (My mother's recipe), or more recently, using same recipe but using dried cranberries instead of raisins.

Cake: A good moist carrot cake, preferably the recipe using some crushed pineapple.

Pie: Apple! Homemade with lots of apples, lots of cinnamon, and thickened with tapioca.

Ice cream: Bacio (hazelnut) Gelato or Cappuccino Gelato. Not sure of the brand name.

There are a lot of other sweets that I enjoy, but those are my top 3.

My mother used to get upset with me because I didn't want cake on my birthday, I wanted oatmeal cookies! And I still do!

Rusty

amylou321 thanked Rusty
  • highdesertowl
    5 years ago

Hot Chocolate Pudding with a scoop of mint chip ice cream melting in the middle :)

amylou321 thanked highdesertowl
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

So much yummy here but I have to say raisin rum ice cream has my heart going into PVC's...I must find it.

Theres a frozen popsicle called Budget pops and up to last year they made a frozen Monster fudge pops..nothing like all the other fudge pops..they were to die for good. My addiction for sure...than out of the blue the company discontinued the Monster fudge bars.. I emailed snd called them begging..but sigh...they won't make them just for me. Lol.

Lemon bars (Annies recipe in cooking) sooo good

Lemon ice cream( the recipe I found and posted here.

Chocolate pudding pie with homemade whipped cream

Pumpkin pie

Sticky toffee pudding (cakes)

Chocolate chip cookies, very thin and crispy

Baked sweet potatoes smothered in butter whipped with brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice

I have to stop.

amylou321 thanked mamapinky0
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Rob I agree Ina Garten's shortbread are sooo good. I need to make some soon. Expecially good with coffee. Also great as the base for lemon bars.

amylou321 thanked mamapinky0
  • User
    5 years ago

I have to agree with the above poster concerning the Mexican baked goodies. They are so close to what I was used to before all of the better flavorings and processes were introduced. While I have only tried a few of the package, two, of the things at QT they were similar to old twinkies and cupcakes.

When I made it my favorite cake was a Blitz Torte with sliced almonds and cinnamon sprinkled on top before baking. I never did make it into the layer cake that it was supposed to form. One reason was the one time I started the top layer just slid off. Better without the filling anyway.

amylou321 thanked User
  • Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

Cookie - Homemade chocolate chip. I use the recipe that was printed on the back of the Nestle's chocolate chip bags years ago (it's a bit different now).

Cake - Homemade chocolate cake with homemade chocolate butter cream frosting.

Pie - Toss-up between my homemade pecan pie with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream, and my homemade pumpkin pie with a dollop of real whipped cream.

Ice Cream - Baskin-Robbins Rocky Road.

Other - my homemade brownies made from my maternal grandmother's recipe and fudge made with my mother's recipe

amylou321 thanked Lindsey_CA
  • wanda_va
    5 years ago

Fruit pizza

Strawberry shortcake

Blackberry cobbler

amylou321 thanked wanda_va
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Oohh...this is a tough one! I tend towards lighter fare, like Jello, or pudding/mousse, maybe a sundae (especially with Elmer's, the chocolate topping that gets hard like a shell).

But, I do like cheesecake (the fluffy kind, and no sauce!). My mom made a lovely Pears Belle Helene. Strawberries and whipped cream is one of my favorites!

For a real treat I like a retro Baked Alaska. I made it for Christmas Eve one year (a modification, I suppose) and now my kids ask for it for their birthdays.

Seasonal: pumpkin pie with whipped cream!

amylou321 thanked bpath
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I don’t eat desserts often anymore, but when I do.....

Favorite all-around dessert is pie, almost any kind that is homemade. Given a choice it is apple with lots of cinnamon and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Close 2nd is peach cobbler with ice cream. I’ll also take pecan, chocolate mousse, pumpkin, lemon.

Cake would be hummingbird. I do miss my mother’s homemade German chocolate cake though. Three layers of absolute deliciousness.

Cookies must be soft. Peanut butter, oatmeal raisin or shortbread are favorites, fresh and warm with a glass of milk. I could eat a plate full.

Ice cream is probably B&J Cherry Garcia or homemade peach.

amylou321 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

For dessert.....strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream.

Pie....coconut cream, lemon or chocolate meringue, pecan, buttermilk....those are the only ones I can think of that I would eat....preferably made by me.

Cookies...my favorite is pecan meltaways, made similar to sand tarts or Mexian wedding cakes, but some corn starch replaces some of the flour.

I don't like store bought cookies or cake unless it is from a real bakery....I always think I can taste the preseratives.

Favorite cake is German chocolate or cherry pineapple cake that I make. I also like a pineapple upside down cake that I have made for years.

Ice cream....my favorite, Fruit Special is no longer made by Blue Bell. I like buttered pecan, and lately Bride's cake. I like lime or pineapple sherbet with angel food cake.

I don't eat a lot of sweets, and when I do, it is usually homemade.

amylou321 thanked marilyn_c
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Cookies: Chocolate chip, oatmeal/pineapple or blondies

Cake: Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, yellow cake with chocolate frosting or fruit basket cake

Pie: Pecan

Ice Cream: Coffee or salted caramel. While were were staying over on the coast we often visited a local ice cream shop that had berry habanero and peach habanero. I couldn't get enough of that stuff; the heat from the habanero went so well with the sweetness of the ice cream.

Candy: English Toffee, Chocolate Fudge. From the store, I like Rolos. Their caramel is about the perfect ratio of salt to sweet and I also like it's texture. Hershey's milk chocolate is another one I like.

Other: Almost any kind of cheesecake. I make a raspberry chocolate that is so good - got the recipe off the cream cheese box. Boston cream pie is a long time favorite. Baclava is one I have when I get a chance and I also like most of the pastries such as eclairs, cream puffs, etc. When we were in Amsterdam, Poland and Sweden I was in hog heaven over the pastries!

amylou, my favorite part of brownies are the crunch sides. If we were together, I'd give you the middles and keep the crunchy parts for myself!

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Where to begin?

Cookies: Any of my late mother's cookie recipes. My favorites are the Swedish Cut-out cookies and Wolferman's Four O'Clocks. I also adore the Joy of Cooking Butterscotch Brownies.

Pies: All time favorite is Wolferman's Rum Cream pie. Also adore Pumpkin pie (nothing on it), Buttermilk pie, Pecan pie, Apple pie, and the Coconut Cream pie the Woman's Exchange used to make.

Cakes:

Angel food (must be homemade using my grandmother's recipe), yellow cake with boiled caramel frosting. I adore my mother's recipe for Fruit Cake as well.

Candy: Oh let me count the ways! Anything that is dark chocolate. I love Karl Bissinger's candy in St Louis, and La Maison du Chocolat.

Ice Cream: Jeni's Salted Caramel, Graeter's Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip, Graeter's Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Chip, B&R Pralines 'n Cream, B&R Peanut Butter and Chocolate. LOVED B&R's Chocolate Raspberry Truffle and a really old one Cream de Camamel - haven't seen that one in over 30 years!

Cheesecake:

Mrs Porter's recipe, either with cherry pie filling on top, or sour cream. She made the very best cheese cake on earth and was generous to share her recipe.

I love a good fruit clafoutis. A dessert souffle is sublime. Chocolate mousse. Eton Mess, Hot raspberry souffle - TDF! Raspberries with sugar and cream.

Yes, I do like my sweets! Tonight, it was sliced fresh Pennsylvania peaches (I think they are far better than any southern peach) with some dark brown sugar on them.

amylou321 thanked Anglophilia
  • grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

Even though I can no longer eat this, my lifelong favorite dessert is dark chocolate cake (. I use the Hershey recipe) with either penuche or peanut butter icing.

amylou321 thanked grapefruit1_ar