SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dchall_san_antonio

Hydretain ES Plus Root Zone Moisture Manager

CUT WATERING BY UP TO 50% OR MORE!

Not sure how you get "up to" and then add "more."

Has anyone used this product? At $35 per quart you would have to be pretty desperate I would think. That bottle covers an advertised 5,000 square feet, but one Amazon buyer suggests that it sprays out so fast that it was gone before he covered 1,000 square feet, soooo $35 per 1,000??

There's a Florida based guy on YouTube called The Lawn Care Nut who has all sorts of odd advice for lawn care. I try not to watch his videos, because I can't help but be very critical; however, today I got one fed to me in my Google news feed. The vid is about his favorite sprinkler (which is definitely NOT my fave). In the vid he mentions Hydretain to keep the dry spots in the lawn from drying out. When I saw the label I was certain the active ingredient was Epsom Salt (ES), but after looking at the label, it seems to be sugar and shampoo. Sugar water has a certain "sticker" quality in that it causes water to stick rather than bead up and roll off of plants. It also has a hygroscopic quality in that it absorbs humidity from the air. I have used molasses and shampoo in a mist to make water stick to crabgrass and other hydrophobic plants for years. I never thought much about adding it to the shampoo used for softening the soil. I have plenty of molasses and a spot in mind that this might work for. My back yard slopes to the south and has gotten a little dry between rainstorms this year.

I have time this weekend - I'm going to give it a whirl. I'm going to triple my normal sugar and shampoo mix and use 9 ounces of molasses and 9 ounces of shampoo. I have about 1,000 square feet to cover, so 9 ounces of each into the hose end sprayer, fill with water, and spray it out over the slope area. Total cost will be about $1.50 per 1,000 for me.

Comment