SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Soil Moisture Meter

Nancy Barginear
12 years ago

Do any of you use a moisture meter to determine when to water? Due to months without rain, I'm having to water often. My DH thinks I am watering the DLs too often. He thinks it would be a good idea to get a moisture meter.

We have our daylily bed which is 30' by 135' divided into 5 sections. Rows are raised about 4-5 inches above ground level. I normally put the sprinkler on one section per day, and let it run from 1-2 hours. Most of the daylilies look O.K. considering our lack of rain for months, but some are developing crown rot.

We do have a sprinkler system, but it doesn't really run long enough to penetrate the top part of the soil to get down to the roots. It also misses areas.

I dug up two plants that looked like they were about to croak. I cut out the mushy part of the crowns, let them dry, and then dusted the crowns with sulfur and replanted them in a new location. Odd thing is one that I just dug up today had a great root system with no sign of mushy or old roots. The mushy part was on top where the plant grows. I haven't seen that before. Usually it is on the bottom of the crown.

I'm ready to get a moisture meter to tell me if I need to water or not. I just don't know which one would be best. I would appreciate suggestions from those who have used these. If there are any that you can leave in the ground permanently, I could get 5 of them so I could tell at a glance that section needs watering.

Thanks,

Nancy

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH