SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmor

Dealing with 13 year olds- vent

happy2b…gw
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My granddaughter was excited to invite two friends to spend the weekend at our riverhouse to celebrate the end of 8th grade and moving up to high school; my daughter communicated with their mothers that we would leave at 6 tonight. I knew something was up when DGD called this afternoon to ask if we could leave at 8 instead because the friends have activities. I said fine, but now the real story has become apparent. Well, turns out that the two friends are being rude and inconsiderate. surprise, surprise! They, but not my granddaughter, were invited to a classmates end of year party that they want to attend before going to the riverhouse. My granddaughter is embarrassed and probably hurt, feeling left out and in the middle.

One girl has been accepted to an arts school in Germany very recently and is moving to Germany. Lots of drama, have to say good bye ad nauseam, therefore, wants to go to party for more rounds of good bye. I am a former middle school teacher. Kids are so dramatic and self centered at this age. Hopefully the parents are not.

To complicate matters, my daughter is hosting an end of school celebration for 60 teachers and staff she works with, so she is irritated and stressed that she has to follow up with mothers who most likely know nothing about the girls request to leave at 8. I was not happy that she wanted me to tell my granddaughter that the weekend was off. I did not think that was fair to my granddaugher but my granddaughter could opt for that. Instead, I told my daughter to text the mothers a confirmation that departure is at 6:00 and see what happens.

Meanwhile I called my granddaughter and told her that if having the friends did not work out that I would love for her to spend the weekend with me and DH anyway. My granddaughter said okay to that, but we would talk later since she was with friends.

Just got a text from DD that departure is as originally scheduled 6:00.

Here's hoping for a enjoyable peaceful weekend!

My grandson has had friends at the river and the boys just come. They pack a duffle, show up on time, and off the go.

Comments (30)