SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcorn1

is our bathroom a full bath or not ?

J Corn
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

When we bought our home, it was listed as having 2 full bathrooms and a guest bathroom . However, our master bedroom has a shower but no tub. It also has a vanity, a sink and a toilet. The other bathroom has a shower/ combo, a vanity, toilet, sinks, etc. ,

We’re considering downsizing. We’ve now been told our master bedroom is not a “full bathroom” because it doesn’t have a shower /tub combo. Is this correct? I’m confused because homes in our area where bathrooms have only a tub ( or shower), toilet and vanity list those bathrooms as “full bathrooms“.

These are realtor listings from various realtors. .

Is there a natIonal standard or does it vary geographically?

Comments (41)

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

In our area it's been 3/4 bath for a long time but nowadays a room with a toilet, sink, and a place to bathe and/or shower is considered a full bath, which makes sense to me. Sometimes I see it listed as 3 piece or 4 piece bath.

J Corn thanked lizziesma
  • Related Discussions

Help, hideous bathroom needs a full gut. Layout ideas?

Q

Comments (23)
    We have a pocket door on the 3/4 bath inside the master, and honestly we almost never close it. We close the bedroom swing door if we need privacy. The pocket door is there if we need it. But for a full bath going out into a hallway a swing door would be much better.
    ...See More

Show me your small, full bathrooms (with toilet by the door?)

Q

Comments (42)
    thank you, Karenseb! Lol, it's crazy what we go through to gain just a few spare inches in our bathrooms! Yes, I think I will take your and Nancyinmich's advice, and stick with the layout I have currently, by using the current vanity area as shelving/storage cabinet. And maybe change doorway opening. I'll add a single sink with side drawers on the opposite wall. Toilet will stay put, I'll look at that round Toto Drake. I think the widest vanity that I could put in there is 64"? The wall is 94" and I need 15 inches on either side of the wall and vanity. (measured from the center of the toilet - and for sake of planning I'll base this on measurements of the Toto Drake which is just shy of 20" wide).
    ...See More

Help with bathrooms. Divide to two bathrooms or do one large bathroom?

Q

Comments (15)
    I agree with Cpartist"s layout and like moving the closet over as suggested by D M so that bedroom 3 has easier access to the bathroom. Do you have room to have the toilet face the tub and add a linen cabinet next to the toilet? How wide is the tub toilet area?
    ...See More

Advice on converting first-floor full bathroom to half bathroom

Q

Comments (19)
    As a real estate appraiser I would advise to try to keep it. It will reduce the valuation by a few percent. If I were to appraise your home, I would now have to compare and adjust it from a 3 bathroom home to a 2.5. That's anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000 adjustment downwards. Understand that I don't know where you live or your real estate market. Even though there is no bedroom on the floor, it's a very usable space. At the very least, I'd put in a shower. You just never know when someone will lose their mobility. It looks like an older home. If your laundry room is in the basement, you may want to reconfigure it to bring the laundry up to the main living area. That would be an improvement in utility and the only reason why I would consider eliminating it. Hard to see everything, but you could reconfigure the doorway/entry and take over that vestibule area.
    ...See More
  • Helen
    4 years ago

I would do what your realtor advices based on standards in your immediate area. If your configuration is typically listed as 2 full baths, you would be at a competitive disadvantage. However, if the norm is to list the traditional way, you would have an issue of bait and switch.

As groveraxle wrote, traditionally a full bath included a tub. In some ways this has become a bit beside the point since a 3/4 bath - shower only traditionally was generally a very small bathroom. In the past decade or so, many people have opted to get rid of a bathtub and have a large walk in shower installed. I find it very bizarre that my new very expensive master bath with large walk in tiled shower is now theoretically less desirable than my old configuration with the crappy tub/shower fiberglass fixtures.

When I moved in, I had a master bath with double vanity and tub/shower combo and the traditional 3/4 bath which was smaller and had a smaller stall shower.

J Corn thanked Helen
  • J Corn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s good to get these perspectives. My spouse always preferred showers and so a bathroom with a shower, plus vanity, sink and toilet always felt like a” full” bath to us since we didn’t need or want more. .

But we want to use the right listing terms. And it will be interesting to see if many buyers care if there’s a tub in the master bathroom. The other bathroom ( kid and guest bathroom) has double sinks, bath/ shower, vanity, toilet, etc,

It’s probably what people expect in a master bathroom but it worked well for the kids,....and now guests and grandkids.

• SaltiDawg
    4 years ago

What Helen said, precisely!

J Corn thanked SaltiDawg
  • einportlandor
    4 years ago

I think its' probably a regional thing. In my area you either have a full bath (any tub/shower combo) or a half bath (powder room). I don't recall ever seeing a listing or a 3/4 bathroom. As Helen says, let your realtor be your guide.

J Corn thanked einportlandor
  • Sylvia Gordon
    4 years ago

I too think it depends on local custom, plus what your Realtor can actually do.

Here in the DFW area, our multiple listing options only include full baths and half baths.

We have no way to call something a 3/4 bath!

J Corn thanked Sylvia Gordon
  • Lisette Mauch
    4 years ago

I had previously heard a tub was needed to be a “full” bath and that a shower + toilet + sink was a 3/4 bath. When we began house shopping though we learned that a shower only bathroom was still considered a full bath here. I’d look at what other homes in your market are listing as and follow their lead.

J Corn thanked Lisette Mauch
  • Oliviag
    4 years ago

I would interview a few other realtors as to what is mainstream in your area, as you've seen mixed listings on 3 fixture baths.
    Since I, and many others, shop online, I would be seriously disappointed to miss a home with a three piece master listed as a half bath. thats a big disservice to many buyers, and to you.
    In my area, toilet, sink, and shower is a full bath. we don't really differentiate in listings for a misding tub that many people don't want or use...

J Corn thanked Oliviag
  • suzyq53
    4 years ago

I would just list it as 2-1/2 bathrooms. Sounds like you have an en suite, a hall bath and a powder room. I think things are changing faster than the terminology and now there are too many variations. Our prior master bath have two sink vanities, two water closets, two shower heads, two shower doors and a jacuzzi tub so should that count as 2 bathrooms. And the other three baths were en suite; two with showers and one with a combo and a powder room. It was sold as a 4 bdrm/4.5 bath. This is in CA.

J Corn thanked suzyq53
  • HU-552153687
    4 years ago

I just went through intense house hunting, I noticed numerous mistakes in realtors' listings, wrong lot size, wrong number of rooms, wrong number of baths, wrong year built,...etc. they are so obvious that most people could tell without viewing the house in person. It got to the point that I actually used different searches as cross references to find houses meeting my criteria.

I found most valuable information to me, a serious, well qualified potential buyer, is detailed description of the property. Unfortunately, most realtors do not bother to write it, instead they fill the standard template, usually with errors.

In your case, if I read one bathroom with well designed large walk in shower, even without tub, it will get much more attention from me than 1 full bath that has bath/tub combo.

J Corn thanked HU-552153687
  • Helen
    4 years ago

Out of curiosity, I just checked listings in my condo (located in Los Angeles) and they are listed as having two full bathrooms although technically one used to be called a 3/4 bath as it has the stall shower.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

This house was listed as three baths. One is tub only, one is shower only, the third is a tub shower combo.

My brothers house is for sale right now. I just checked the major listing sites and Zillow, Trulia, Redfin have it as 4 baths. There is no bathing going on in one of those - it's a powder room with no tub or shower.

J Corn thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

I would describe that as a full bath because it is fully suited to fulfill the bathroom needs of the users. Since the expected users of a master bathroom are the adult owners, a bathtub is not required and its absence does not reduce the functionality of the space. A space without bath or shower would be a half bath because you can only fulfill half your needs in that room.

That is my interpretation of full/half bathroom

• nancylouise5me
    4 years ago

I agree with the others, you have a 3/4 bath not a full bath. To be considered a full you need both shower and tub. Those could be a tub/shower combo or separate facilities.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

"guest bath" and full or 3/4 are not descriptions that belong in the same sentence. A "guest bath" COULD be any size. Let your realtor lead.

J Corn thanked arcy_gw
  • 3katz4me
    4 years ago

It’s a 3/4 bath where I live and listings specify how many full, 3/4 and half baths a property has. I’m not fond of small tub/shower combos but I would not buy a house without a decent tub, preferably in the master bath.

J Corn thanked 3katz4me
  • bry911
    4 years ago

In my area it is a full bath.

Furthermore, I would argue that this is one of those times where the answer is probably subjective. My 2-person shower is larger than some full baths, so I would take issue with a realtor saying that it was a 3/4 bath were there no tub in the room.

If someone walked into my house and looked at my fairly nice showering system and shower and responded with, "I don't want this house because they misled us about this being a full bath" then I suspect they are not the buyer for my house anyway. At what point that becomes arguable I think is the subjective part. Certainly, I can see a corner shower, that you hit your knees on when sitting on the toilet, being a 3/4 bath.

J Corn thanked bry911
  • weedyacres
    4 years ago

In my experience, the use of 3/4 bath as a term has diminished over the decades. I'd call it a full bath, and make sure the photos show clearly what you have (and don't have) in the bathroom. Then there's no misleading.

J Corn thanked weedyacres
  • geoffrey_b
    4 years ago

The IRC does not recognize it as a "bathroom group" unless it has a toilet AND a sink AND a bathtub or a shower.

From the NEC: (underlining and bold are mine)
    - Bathroom. An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub, or a shower.

I.e., the NEC does not recognize it as a "bathroom" unless there is a sink AND (one or more of the following: toilet, tub, shower).

From the code you can see that it is not necessary to have both a shower and tub.

Having to have a tub to be considered a bath is Realtor BS.

J Corn thanked geoffrey_b
  • J Corn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Based on the varying answers here ( which I greatly appreciate) I see that most see our master bathroom as a “ full bath” and others as a “3/4 bath.”. I assume there are regional differences, There are also those comments where people said they‘d never feel a bathroom was complete without a tub,

Here’s my updated understanding and experience:

1. We purchased our home over 25 years ago. At the time it was listed as having 2 full baths, and a guest bath . We never saw any listings where “ a 3/4 bath” was noted..and we saw quite a few homes . But 25 years is a long time and things can change.

2. Because our master bathroom had a shower, sink, and vanity and because we didn’t care about a tub , it was a “complete bathroom” to us. My concern, hower, is what today’s standards are . .

3. The upstairs bathroom, has double sinks, an L-shaped vanity, 2 mirrors, and a pocket door separating the shower/ tub and toilet from the vanity area. This was very useful when we were raising 3 children. We wanted a shower and tub for them ( and guests) .

i assume the upstairs bathroom is unquestionably a full bath.

• rrah
    4 years ago

As you can see, this is regional. In my area anything with a sink, tub and/or shower, and a toilet is a full bath. This is also true for appraisals, not just the MLS. I've stated this here before, but it is worth repeating. There is no such thing as national standards for the MLS. There are hundreds of MLS systems in the country. Each has it's own set of rules as to how things are listed.

J Corn thanked rrah
  • kathyg_in_mi
    4 years ago

Well, if they don't count shower, sink and toilet as a full bath, we are in trouble! Last year we had the tub/shower removed and a walk in shower put in. We love it! We also have a half bath, toilet and sink. No tub in the house and that is what we wanted to age in place here. People moving into our area are mostly retirees who want to live on the lake. Our grands are all old enough to take showers. If anyone needed a bath, I have a large kitchen sink that will fit a young child.

We call our house 1 and 1/2 baths.

J Corn thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • Denita
    4 years ago

rrah nailed it:

As you can see, this is regional. In my area anything with a sink, tub and/or shower, and a toilet is a full bath. This is also true for appraisals, not just the MLS. I've stated this here before, but it is worth repeating. There is no such thing as national standards for the MLS. There are hundreds of MLS systems in the country. Each has it's own set of rules as to how things are listed.

In our area your bath would be considered a full bath in the MLS (two full baths). There isn't even a designation in our system for a 3/4 bath. There is for a half bath (sink and toilet) but a bath doesn't need both a shower and a tub to qualify as a full bath. There is another section of the MLS where the Master bath can be further described with additional searchable fields for those that specifically want a tub (for example) in their master bathroom so other agents searching for their buyers can pick up the homes meeting specific attributes .

• deb s
    4 years ago

Keep it simple - list as full baths and when people look at the house they will recognize the master doesnt have a bath- For some (elderly, couples who shower together etc) a large step in shower is desirable !!! You would be amazed at what qualifies as a "bedroom" - size doesnt matter- neither does having a code compliant egress- just needs to have a closet

• K Laurence
    4 years ago

Houses with a sink , toilet, & a shower OR tub or a combination of the two are listed as full baths. I don’t see 3/4 baths referred to at all. I think ( not sure ) it’s because most people consider it a full bath even with just a shower. My preference in any event.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

As an appraiser I'm going to call it a full bath. It meets all the functions required. Half-baths only have two pieces. Full baths have a minimum of three pieces.

Your bath in the master has three pieces. Ergo, full bath.

The only time this would be considered as a functional obsolescence would be is there is no bathtub in any other bath in the structure.

Call it a full bath and be done with it. Good luck on selling your home quickly.

• chazas
    4 years ago

That would be a full bath where I live.

• Lady Driver
    4 years ago

I'm in the 3/4 bath camp, but to add to the confusion, some websites do the math and get funny results. In my house there is a full bath, a 3/4 bath, and a 1/2 bath. Rather than considering this 3 bathrooms some websites would say it has 2 1/4 baths. To me, that implies there is a random toilet hiding in the garage.

That said, I would go with however the terms are generally understood in your area. Also known as listen to your realtor.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Homes in our area are almost always listed as full when they're 3/4. When our current home was on the market the listing had "3 Baths" when it's really 2 1/2. Not sure why they do that.

• J Corn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We were none the wiser when purchasing our home and a 3/4 bath both was described as full and served as one for our purposes. Also, after reviewing the comments, my take is that these bathrooms are seen as “ full” in some areas and “3/4” in others. I’ll simply use the most commonly used description found in my area.

• rwiegand
    4 years ago

It's a full bath around here. Most people don't want or need a bathtub in every bathroom, would prefer a good shower to a tub/shower combo

It's not the sort of thing that you need to worry about much-- people can see for themselves what's there, there's darn little opportunity to deceive someone into thinking there's a tub when there's not.

I'd call it 2-1/2 baths because that's what is functionally there.

• jupidupi
    4 years ago

Remember that the purpose of your listing is not to do an exhaustive description of the place. The purpose of the listing is to to get people in the door. There is no need to confuse potential buyers with "3/4" bath. If I saw that, I'd think it was some kind of half-tub. Many people prefer a shower and will look at not having an extra tub to clean as a nice feature.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

I have watched quite a few House Hunters episodes where the buyers have stated emphatically that they do NOT want a tub in the master bathroom, calling them “wasted space,” “dust catchers,” “shoe storage,” etc.

And, as a former residential real estate appraiser, I would say that J Corn’s master bath is a full bath.

• Linda
    4 years ago

It is regional. In my area, there is no such thing as a 3/4 bath. If you have a bath tub OR shower, it is a full bath. Check what is customary in your area and list that way to be competitive.

• User
    4 years ago

If you can wash your face, wash your body, and empty your colon, it's a full bath.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

Very regional. Our master has no tub but is considered a full bath. Matter of fact, most of the new construction around us has a similar set up (because masters with showers only are more desirable where I live) and they are sold as full baths. Tractions are for powder rooms :)

• Billy NonOfYourBusiness
    2 years ago

If it has a shower, but no tub, it is a 3/4 bath. Realtors like to embellish and fudge the numbers. It is very frustrating when you are looking for 2 full baths which include tubs in both bathrooms and you keep seeing listings with only showers in the master bath. Personally, if I could, I'd report every one of those listings that I come across as two full baths when only one has a tub as fraudulent.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

Don't be mad at realtors who are following the common practices of their profession. If tubs are important to you, call or email for more information before viewing

• Helen
    2 years ago

I can't imagine that anyone doesn't check out pictures of listings on the internet which almost always have pictures of the bathrooms. I wouldn't visit any place that didn't have pictures because I would assume there was something wrong with it or it was a complete fixer upper.

At any rate, I could argue that I have NO desire for a master bathroom which has a tub/shower combination. 😂 because I got rid of it and opted for only a shower when I remodeled and so I would eliminate any homes with a tub in the master bath.

• User
    2 years ago

uh oh, somebody call the tub police.