SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adagecat

What color is my front door??

SapphireStitch
4 years ago

Okay, I KNOW what color it is in terms of paint: it’s Behr “Candy Drop”. But since we painted it last weekend (to go with the new siding) people who’ve seen it are seeing it as a different color from what we think it is. Arrgh.

I keep hearing, “Oh, I love your (color it isn’t) door!” or “Interesting choice to go with (color it isn’t)!” even “So, you’ll be painting over that (color it isn’t) next, right?” So, I’m asking here: what color is my door? And you may as well go ahead and tell me what color I should have painted it...sigh. (ANY LANDSCAPING VISIBLE IN THIS PHOTO IS GETTING YANKED OUT NEXT MONTH AND I WILL WANT ADVICE ABOUT REPLACEMENTS THEN...no brain room to handle that right now.)

Comments (38)

• HU-161159613
    4 years ago

Raspberry?? Whatever it is, I like it!

SapphireStitch thanked HU-161159613
  • Related Discussions

What color should my garage doors be?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would use a brown color that is the same as the brown on the lower portion of your home. Need to see a photo of the front door to decide on door color. Best wishes!
    ...See More

Front door color??

Q

Comments (3)
    Blue - all the way. And purchase nice gold (brass) hardware (door handle/lock) for front door. Your home will look outstanding.
    ...See More

What color for my front door?

Q

Comments (11)
    I really don’t love it with your shutter color (excuse the wreath) ... It truly is a pretty color, but it has a different feel. A bit coastal ... casual. I’m all for mixing things up, but the tones just aren’t compatible in my eyes, they clash, and look like flip flops with a suit.
    ...See More

Help! I cannot figure out how to decorate my front porch.

Q

Comments (6)
    First you need to decide how to use the porch. Are you a sit on the front porch type of person? With food or drink? If yes think about adding another seat and some type of table. Is this an area to stand around before coming into the house? If yes your bench is enough, I would consider moving the bench to against the wall to give you more room around the door and color on against the wall. Regardless of how you use the porch put art on both walls. Put colorful pillows on your bench, I like it, colorful pillows will make it stand out more. You might want to consider painting the bench another color to make it stand out. You have a blank slate have fun with the area. Art on the wall can bring in color that plants would, but with fewer limitations, and upkeep.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    4 years ago

It appears to be the color called fuchsia or hot pink.

SapphireStitch thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • Brittney E
    4 years ago

Pinkish coral

SapphireStitch thanked Brittney E
  • acm
    4 years ago

coral red. could be getting pulled a bit toward pink by the siding.

SapphireStitch thanked acm
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Coral and I LOVE it. It's perfect.

SapphireStitch thanked cpartist
  • SapphireStitch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, thank you all so much! Our goal was a pinkish coral or coralish pink, and we picked this specific shade because it erred on the side of fuschia or hot pink rather than going too far toward orange.

The color I’m being told it is is RED. This is from people who’ve seen the picture I posted, and others who’ve been standing right in front of it. My mother told me it looked patriotic, and my brother referred to it as “MAGA hat red”. He was probably yanking my chain, but combined with the friends who saw it as red I was starting to think we’d really screwed up!

Memo to self: most of your family and your more vocal friends don’t see color right. ;-)

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Nope, that's not red. :) Keep in mind most of us are used to poring over paint swatches and debating the nuances of WHITE, let alone discern the subtleties of red tones. :P

SapphireStitch thanked tartanmeup
  • PRO
    Robert A. McGraw Architect
    4 years ago

Love the color!!

SapphireStitch thanked Robert A. McGraw Architect
  • dyliane
    4 years ago

coral. very nice

SapphireStitch thanked dyliane
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    4 years ago

It looks wonderful!!

SapphireStitch thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

It reads coral to me as well. It's a fresh, pretty choice.

SapphireStitch thanked katinparadise
  • SapphireStitch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Very good point @tartanmeup! We specialize in color obsession. :D

• User
    4 years ago

On my screen it looks pink not red.

SapphireStitch thanked User
  • Brown Dog
    4 years ago

It's a very warm pink. And pink is a touchy colour for something permanent and exposed to the public like a front door. People are either going to love it or hate it. If you love it, keep it as is. But be prepared for people not to see the other lovely parts of the front of your house. Generally, people will look at your house & their eye will stop at the front door. Your house will be known as the house with the pink door. If that's okay, then you should be happy with your colour choice and you won't care what others think.

SapphireStitch thanked Brown Dog
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

Looks like a coral color with a hint of raspberry on my monitor. I love it. Very different, and very fresh. :-)

SapphireStitch thanked cat_ky
  • kulrn
    4 years ago

Whatever it is, I like it!

SapphireStitch thanked kulrn
  • tatts
    4 years ago

And this post (with its wildly varied responses) is a prime example of the futility of picking colors on a computer monitor. Raspberry? No way. Fuchsia? Not a chance. But that's just because of the monitor I'm using (and at 11 PM it switches to night mode and cuts back on the blue tones in order to not disrupt sleep patterns). Who knows what it really is, especially based on a small cell phone camera.

Complete waste of time doing posts like this. Turn off the computer and go to a paint store.

SapphireStitch thanked tatts
  • SapphireStitch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, what color IS raspberry? Freshly picked raspberries, frozen, jam, koolaid, a favorite lipstick? My door exists as an object with an objective color, but everyone will see it slightly differently.

I’m going to turn off my iPad because I’m so sleepy I’m about to drop it on the floor. But I’m not going to the paint store.

I love the way my house looks and my door looks and I have no need of repainting it. I just wanted reassurance that my color perception isn’t all out of whack. I can live with some people thinking my door is red. And I can totally live with being that crazy old white broad with the frizzy gray hair and the navy blue house with the pink door. :D

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

That is why I only trust a very few people in my circle when it comes to color. Everyone else is clueless. “Red”???? Good lord.

Your door looks fantastic on my screen. And I ADORE navy homes with brightly colored doors! Lucky!

SapphireStitch thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

Good for you. Its pretty, you love it, and everyone should have colors they love. It shouldnt matter at all, what others say, or think. Enjoy it every time you look at it.

SapphireStitch thanked cat_ky
  • Sonya Oden
    4 years ago

Our old house had a red door. This is definitely NOT red. It looks great :) I wish I could talk my husband in to a coral door!

SapphireStitch thanked Sonya Oden
  • suedonim75
    4 years ago

Not red at all. I love it!

SapphireStitch thanked suedonim75
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Salmon!

SapphireStitch thanked User
  • Anne Duke
    4 years ago

It’s cheery and fun and I love it. Are you asking neighbors and family for comments? If so, reconsider. I’m not laughing.

SapphireStitch thanked Anne Duke
  • scottandgwyneth
    4 years ago

What color is the siding? I like that color with the white.

SapphireStitch thanked scottandgwyneth
  • Emily R.
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Pink-y coral and I love it. (Although full disclosure: my husband and I have a decades-long argument over the color of one of my shirts; I say it’s pink and he says it’s red. He’s been convinced I’m color-blind since before we got married. So I’m pretty gratified to read all the people on here who say coral, and I’m ignoring all the people in here who say you can’t tell colors from a monitor.
    SapphireStitch thanked Emily R.
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

To be fair, Emily, colours on a monitor aren't really to be trusted unless we're sure the picture rendered the colours accurately (rare with most phone cameras) and the monitor is calibrated. There is usually a noticeable difference in colours between different brands of monitors. I'd wager your perception of your shirt's colour is correct. Colour-blindness is more common in men than in women. According to the National Eye Institute:

"As many as 8 percent of men and 0.5 percent of women with Northern European ancestry have the common form of red-green color blindness.

Men are much more likely to be colorblind than women because the genes responsible for the most common, inherited color blindness are on the X chromosome. Males only have one X chromosome, while females have two X chromosomes. In females, a functional gene on only one of the X chromosomes is enough to compensate for the loss on the other. This kind of inheritance pattern is called X-linked, and primarily affects males. Inherited color blindness can be present at birth, begin in childhood, or not appear until the adult years."

• SapphireStitch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Anne Duke No, I'm not asking them! I'm just "blessed" with opinionated friends and family. No problem with the neighbors, fortunately.

• SapphireStitch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@scottandgwyneth It's Alside Charter Oak siding and the color is "Riviera Dusk".

• Lauren Nelson
    4 years ago

What color is your roof? We are building and are in love with the Riviera Dusk siding, but can't decide on a roof color. Yours looks amazing!

I also love your coral door... I hadn't thought about that color for our front door, but NOW I am.

SapphireStitch thanked Lauren Nelson
  • SapphireStitch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The roof is Certainteed’s “Moire Black”. I originally thought we’d do a dark gray, but the siding seemed to need black for contrast.

I hope you’ll post pics of your house when it’s done! We’ve had so many people stop to ask about our siding. I was hoping maybe we’d start a trend in our neighborhood and see some houses redone in other dark colors, but I think a lot of home projects are on hold now with the “stay at home“ orders in effect.

• hemina
    4 years ago

This is a running joke with me and my husband...but even then, they’re off by a couple colors. It does look like a pinky-coral to me.

• hemina
    4 years ago

Btw what color is the house...that’s gorgeous! (To me it looks like dark blueberry).

• Denita
    4 years ago

I love your front door color! It is exactly right. Red? No. Your brother is pulling your leg or is colorblind. It is so refreshing and inviting to see a nice, bright color front door.

• Lauren Nelson
    4 years ago

We must be in different areas. Our Certainteed color options don’t have Moire Black. 😔 I keep leaning towards their Thunderstorm Grey.

I loved your comment about people stopping because that’s literally how we found that color. A house we live in the next town over has it. It’s gorgeous anytime of day. ❤️

Thankfully our state considers construction essential. We have been living with my parents since October with the plan to build this spring. Our family of 5 is going to lose their minds if we don’t at least see some progress. The crews we’ve encountered have all been mindful of social distancing or wearing masks. It has been hard to pick out plumbing and electrical fixtures online. So far what has come in I’m still in love with once I see it in person. 😆

• SapphireStitch
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@hemina It's a very dark grayed-down blue. We've had people think it's black or dark gray when they've seen it on a cloudy day. It's Alside's Charter Oak siding and the color name is "Riviera Dusk".

• SapphireStitch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Lauren Nelson I forgot Certainteed has different colors for different regions. Our siding/roofing guy insisted we take all the samples outside and look at them in full sun and in the shade. There were grays I was considering that looked very neutral inside the house but showed flecks of colors when we got them out into the sun. If you haven't had a chance to look at roofing samples outside I'd recommend doing that before making your final choice.

I'm glad you're able to keep going on your construction!