SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_36217473

Is it illegal to not pick up dog waste if the neighbors can smell it?

Amanda Free
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We have new neighbors. They have three very large dog, two ducks, four chickens. We live in a small rural town, but we live DOWNTOWN...post office at the end of the block, church across the street, local lawyer's office is on the corner. People are allowed to keep chickens in their yard in this town. They've only been here three months, and the smell of the dog feces is deafening. I can smell it from inside of my house, when I'm in my garage, and definitely when I'm in the yard. I won't use my yard anymore because of the smell and it's only the first week of June. We live in the high desert (cactus country), so temps here are usually 90+ from June to October. They aren't the 'picking up' type. They've had furniture (beds and couches, among other things) and boxes sitting on their front porch since they moved in. Their fence fell down and blocked the alley for two weeks before the city made them pick it up. To be fair, they are two women (partners) who are all extremely obese, so mobility seems to be an issue for at least one of them. So, I don't think they're up for picking up a hundred piles of poo in the knee high grass they've not cut yet. They don't seem to leave the house and spend most of their time sitting on their porch, smoking, so they definitely aren't too busy. Sorry...I'm just frustrated and am wondering if this is something the city will take as a serious complaint, or if I'm on my own to deal with a very large amount of poo smell.

Comments (4)