SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkjhmn44

Neighbor's illegal apartment. . . Complain?

LoveMy Dogs
5 years ago

Our neighbor has rented out his above ground basement. It's illegal under our HOA docs and he knows this. (The prior owner had an HOA violation lien on the house due to the same issue and he had to get it removed to purchase the home.) Our city is in the process of allowing ADUs ("mother in law apartments") so if we want to prevent them in our neighborhood we have to use the HOA rules and do so on an even handed basis. I'm afraid if I let it go it sets a precedent.

I truly don't want to create conflict but having the illegal apartment next door is a pain. The tenant taunts my dogs (so they bark and I've had to put no-bark shock collars on them) and the neighbor has rigged up a motion detector light so the tenant can see her way to the door as she enters through the back yard. It goes off alot in windstorms and illuminates our bedroom.

There is a real loss of privacy since the main entrance to the apartment is via a stairway that is smack up against my fence--in the setback. There is a whole lot more "traffic" in the backyard than you would expect for a single family home.

This is an upscale neighborhood. The "landlord" is single guy with lots of toys--new Porsche, snow mobiles,motorcycles i.e, not in need of the money. I feel like he should play by the rules and recognize the impact on surrounding homes. The HOA won't do anything unless there is a specific complaint from a member of the HOA. They say it will be confidential but I am sure he'll figure out I'm the one who complained. I want the HOA to enforce the rule but hate to start something that could turn ugly. What should I do?

Comments (15)