SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonnic_gw

Neighbor's smell entering our apartment!!!

BonniC
19 years ago

I have this problem, and my husband and I are having a dispute about how to handle it.

We live in a gorgeous apartment complex. We live on the second floor of two, but for some reason, we have always had BAD neighbors below us. The previous tenants played LOUD music during the day and used a smoker grill (that would fill our apartment with smoke if we neglected to close the windows).

We could LIVE with that, even though we did not like it.

Now we have an middle aged woman living with her sickly and older brother. He obviously has cleanliness problems because our guest bathroom (the hall outside the bathroom, the laundry room which is next to the bathroom, and even the spare bedroom across the hall from the bathroom) has been smelling BAD lately. It smells like an unclean older person, like a combination of vomit, uncleanliness, urine and excrement.

Obviously the woman has been aware of the smell because on two occasions my guest bathroom smelled like I had JUST cleaned with bleach (how much bleach did she use to cause MY bathroom to smell like it??)

However, all the cleaning will not eliminate the smell if you don't get to the source of it.

We have tried to use air fresheners, and we had FOUR of the Glade Oil Warmers in our apartment (one in the bathroom, hallway, laundry room and second bedroom) but occasionally the smell OVER POWERS even those.

I want to complain to management (but my husband and I BOTH know they do little about complaints received). I thought about going downstairs and speaking to this woman or calling the local health department, but my husband is adamant about me "causing trouble". I hate having to live like this. I don't understand why I should smell that when I pay $1,450 a month in rent (plus EVERY utility you can think of). These apartment are not cheaply made, and normal daily noise is not a problem. Neither have smells been a problem.

What would all of YOU do?? (Let's assume management will do nothing!!)

I really need some advice here. I am so tired of wondering if the smell is going to be in the bathroom when our guest show up!!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction