SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palmdale33

Entering Neighbor's yard for repairs--fence

palmdale33
16 years ago

Hi All,

This is a complex situation that will soon be rectifed, but in the meantime I need advice & suggestions. I recently purchased an old home that had a fence separating my rear side yard from the neighbors rear side yard. I had a survey done & learned that the fence is on the neighbor's property(it's turned the wrong way & is falling apart). There is a gate that is attached to this fence. The gate crosses over the property line & attaches to posts on my property. The gate was always locked, until I removed the lock (to have access to my side yard, my mistake). If the gate were not there, the neighbors would have about 1 ft of property between their fence and my property. Their garage is in line with the fence. They used to ask for permission to enter my backyard, now they do not. It's scary, because I have a large dog & I am sometimes startled when I open the backdoor to find them in the yard working on their garage. They don't just use their foot of property... they are all over the line in my backyard! very annoying! I also have to maintain the property that is actually their's... the 1 ft of land, because of this gate. It's too small to get a mower through, so I have to mow it. I was told that the gate was paid for by the previous owners of my home. This is the strangest situations I've ever seen! I assumed the fence was joint. Turns out that nothing is joint. They own the fence, I own the gate!

Any suggestions as to how I can rectify this until I get another fence put up & have the gate removed?

Should I post a sign... use a temporary bolt or what????

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (16)