SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srn1234

Neighbors cigarette smoke entering through Baseboard pipes...

srn1234
14 years ago

Hi all. I live on the second floor, in a 2 bedroom apartment, the people below in a very small 1 bedroom apartment smoke quite a bit. One of them never really leaves the place. They never open their windows, not even when its nice outside. We have been having to open ours even in the dead of winter, which only helps a tiny bit.

The smell seems to be coming from the aluminum fins on the pipes for my baseboard heater. I can't cover that part up, as it is where my heat comes from. I have oil heat, we have our own oil tanks.. I just dont understand how its coming through that. But thats the part that really reeks of smoke. I tried cleaning them some, but it didnt help. Even when our heat is shut off, they still smell of cigarettes. This only became a problem a month or so after they moved in.

I dont have air vents that I see, people always mention checking those but I dont have any air vents/ducts not even in our bathroom. The culprit is those darn aluminum fins and they are in every room.

We have tried talking to them politely, talking to the LL, and nothing because it is not a non smoking place. Im all for people living their own life, I just want to live mine comfortably too. I cannot afford to move right now, I sunk everything into this move and a lot in to cleaning up the apartment. I've always lived in apartment houses with smokers, and I have never had a problem like this. By the way, I have no problem with people who smoke, many of my friends are smokers. Im not interested in making problems for them.. just making it comfortable for my family and I as well.

If anyone has any thoughts, anything to even -minimize- the smell... please let me know because this is just very overwhelming. We even did the whole air purifier and ionizers for a while. They just kind of blew the smoke around. Candles, sprays, vinegar in bowls, hung wet towels in the rooms, charcoal in bowls.. everything. Just sort of "masked" it for a while and then stopped working altogether. I was hoping that something can be done to those fins.. but I don't know what, because I need the heat in the fall and winter.

Thanks.

Comments (21)