SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?

loralee_2007
11 years ago

I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give you as much info as possible as my husband & I disagree on how to deal with this.

New neighbors bought the house next door (city, not rural)last year. They have 2 small children (4 & 5 years old, with one on the way) and a small pomeranian dog (cute little guy!).

My computer area where I work, looks right into their backyard from the window. Ever since they moved in, they have trained their dog to poop/pee on the side of their house (not the backyard, the side of the house abutting ours), but I have never seen them pick anything up.

I initially "assumed" they just picked it up at a time when I wasn't necessarily at the computer, but about 3 months ago they had other children over who ran near to that area and the wife neighbor (horrified) exclaimed "no, no you can't go there. That's the poopy area!"

I wouldn't really care since it IS their property, BUT, when it gets hot & humid, OMG, it really really stinks! Compounding the problem is that we are already committed to a major side-yard renovation next year that butts (no pun intended) against the part of the property where the pooch poops (divided by a 6 foot fence). We're putting a pool in the back, then a patio in front of that, then an outdoor kitchen that is right next to the poop area. How appealing will that be to smell that while cooking, or relaxing? I'm not looking forward to spending $70,000 and not being able to use our space.

Solution?:

Me: We don't know these people other than occassional hello's over the fence. I would prefer to report it to the city as a sewer issue and let them figure it out and notify the homeowners.

Husband: Says this is disingenuous (which it is, but saves neighborly relations IMO) and is worried they might be fined or worse. Says we should discuss it with them, but neither of know how to approach them that essentially says, pick up the poo because it stinks! Both of us are very straight-forward, pull-no-punches kinda people, so I'm not sure this would work and I'm afraid our approach would (in our minds) be ok, but would cause problems after our delivery.

What would you do? Do you have any comments what our rights are?

Any suggestions on the correct or best way to approach this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Essentially, spring & fall we can use our yard - but as it is currently, summer is out of the question. We haven't even invited people over this year because it smells so bad in the heat.

Thanks for your help & opinions/advice.

Regards,

Lora

Comments (82)