An Accidental Shopping Spree

skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Last week we planned to visit the Re-Store to drop off some boxes of donations and do some browsing. Once there we realized we came away without the boxes. Nothing to do but browse away. I didn't have anything particular in mind but had some luck in the book department. None of these will be new to any of you, but all but one of them is new (never read) to me. The one I have read is Eventide (Haruf) which I just finished but wanted a copy for my own Library. The others: The Phantom Tollbooth (Juster), The Devil in the White City (Larson). The Boys in the Boat (Brown), Not All Tarts are Apple (Granger), Joy in the Morning (Smith) and Cannery Row (Steinbeck). Not a bad haul for $7.

The following day we ventured next town over to a used bookshop having a half-priced sale. Managed to find Caroline Alexander's Endurance about Shackleton's Antarctic expedition which I read over the winter but wanted to add to my own collection. Also found May Sarton's A Shower of Summer Days. I haven't read this one.

Evidently I've lost my mind because the next thing I knew I was at the Library. Here is that stash: Main Street (Sinclair Lewis), Book Crush (Nancy Pearl) - reviews of children's and young adult books, Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury), Dear Fahrenheit 451 (Annie Spence) and The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home (George Howe Colt). This one is what I'm reading now. The others I've never read at all. I doubt I'll get these all read anytime soon but I sure like having them around. I'm sure you understand. Has anyone else been shopping?

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yoyobon_gw

Lol.....Skibby you're all set for a long , hard winter !

Save     Thanked by skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
colleenoz

The Phantom Tollbooth has been a favorite since I was a teenager!

phyllis__mn

I have always enjoyed thrift shops and yard sales, but don't need any more "stuff". But one can never have too many books......love coming home with a bag of new-to-me treasures.

kathy_t

What a great week you've had, Skibby! Like you, when I really enjoy a library book, I keep an eye open and buy it later. It's nice to own the books you've enjoyed the most.

vee_new

As with Phyllis, I don't need anymore stuff but do weaken when I see books at knock-down prices or just for sale for a few pennies. Over here many very cheap second-hand books can be picked up in the strangest places . . . our local bank, the supermarket, even the Dr's! There is always a good-cause collecting tin into which the pennies can be thrown. I usually take back copies I've read and nearly always finish up with a few more. I've very little willpower where books are concerned.

yoyobon_gw

A boutique locally has a free book shelf where you are welcome to take a book or leave a book.
A old bookstore always has a big bookcase of free books located at the entrance. Our local libraries always have free books available at their entrances as well.

One of the most interesting trends is to leave a favorite book in a public place with a tag stating that the book is free to take, read, pass on to another location. I noticed while in a hospital waiting area that there were several books available to take.

annpanagain

A parklet has just been opened in the street where I had a home decor shop in the early Seventies. It features a dedicated dog area and a small "drop off and take a book" library.

Ah, memories! I used to buy second hand books from the shop opposite to while away the hours as the shop wasn't very busy in the mornings. I sold it within a year and it became a very successful restaurant. I should have learned how to cook!

woodnymph2_gw

I can't resist garage sales, jumble sales, tent sales, etc. and this is the season for them. I always find used books to take home for a dollar or less, along with movies. I've been to at least 3 of these sales during the past month and added to my growing collections. And there is always the "little free library" in my neighborhood, a short walk away.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Furniture 10 Secrets of Successful Secondhand Furniture Shopping
Design professionals offer tips on how, where and what to buy
Full Story
Most Popular Budget Decorator: Shop Your Home for a New Look
Redecorate without spending a cent by casting a creative eye on the showroom called home
Full Story
Universal Design What to Look for in a House if You Plan to Age in Place
Look for details like these when designing or shopping for your forever home
Full Story
We are a Design-Build Firm. We can help you achieve your dream home using your budget with care and craftsmanship. Read More
For more than twenty years, Steadfast Construction has been setting the standard for excellence as a custom... Read More