SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabby_diekmann

Bought 1st home & need your layout & design skills for living room!

Gabby D
4 years ago

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the best layout, furniture, and paint for our new rectangular living room, so I would appreciate any and all help!

I've included photos of the space looking from the front door to back of house, sofa, and somewhat accurate floor plan.

Layout notes:

• Only furniture we have/would like to keep in the new layout is our left chaise couch in (7ft by 6ft on the chaise side); we need more seating, bookcase(s), coffee table, media console, rugs, dining set for 6 (thinking 4 chairs and a bench so can be pushed up against wall until needed for 6)
  • Prefer to find a layout we can view the TV (65in) from the dining area and kitchen too (we could wall mount or not, open to either way)
  • We come in the door from the garage so not as concerned with entryway/by the front door but for guests to leave anything
  • Grey marks on the floor plan indicate where windows are

Design notes:

• I originally wanted to paint the whole downstairs (one open space for living, dining, and kitchen with walls around stairway) Benjamin Moore Pashmina but I'm thinking it might be too close to the color of our couch. Is that ok or a no-no? What other neutral colors would you recommend?
  • I don't know how to describe my design style preferences, but I like traditional, global, rustic, bohemian looks and dislike midcentury modern and coastal.
  • I don't know what wood/material furniture would look good with our wood floors, thoughts? And since it is open to the kitchen, our cabinets and island are slightly darker than our floors with white/grey granite counters.
  • Love adding in color, we had used the painting (last photo) as inspiration previously but open to other color schemes (love greens and blues) with or without the painting in the space.

Thanks!

Comments (23)