SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vladi_trop

Help me save my Croton from overwatering!

Vladi Trop
4 years ago

My cleaning lady accidentally flooded my Croton and it's wilting now (at least I think it's because of that).

I didn't give it water for more than a week now, but it's still wilting.. I don't see any change.

It's quite a big plant: Height: 155cm, Diametr: 45cm

Should I water it? what should I do?

Thanks

Comments (25)

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The soil needs to go very dry as fast as possible. Maybe re plant in dry soil. If it is not too late. Have you felt the stems are they still solid?

• Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have replanted it in new soil (I suppose it's dry, it's the one from supermarket).

I put lots of soil at the bottom, then just made it wet and then I put part of soil that was with the Croton (maybe like 40% of the soil that was on the plant before, otherwise i would have to cut too many roots) of it and then the new soil again on top.

• Related Discussions

My Aloe Plant is sick from overwatering rot, Help Please!

Q

Comments (9)
    I'm just piggybacking on this one if you don't mind. I have a sick aloe vera, too. I wonder if it got too wet or too cool (or both). It's losing its color and getting limp. It was a baby off of my mom's humongous one that's now gone. My sister's is doing great. I saw some advice about checking the roots to see if they were OK (like nueva gardener did above) and haven't done that yet. I wanted to have the soil on hand first (cactus or African Violet soil was recommended -- it's been in sand for decades and that's what it's still in). Anyway -- my real question was with rooting in the perlite. Do you wet IT when you first start out? Thanks! Flo :-)
    ...See More

Outdoor Kong Coleus overwatered - Can it be saved??Please help!!

Q

Comments (4)
    You can remove & root all of the stems as new plants. They will root in water or moist (not soggy) soil. Do a search to learn more about coleus cuttings if you would like to try. You can also "save" your plant through winter this way - with cuttings in jars or bottles. If you have somewhere in the ground to put the root ball, that may save it. If not, try removing it from the pot, replace the dirt, then replant it. It may be too rotted to recover but certainly worth a try.
    ...See More

Need help saving my Mandevilla!!! Overwatered

Q

Comments (2)
    Hopefully someone else will weigh in who is more of a Mandevilla expert, but IME they need very little water compared to most plants I've grown in pots. I let the soil dry out between waterings, though I don't grow in similar setting to you. I wouldn't bring it inside - it likes a good amount of light.
    ...See More

Help Me Save My Ferns From Me

Q

Comments (1)
    There is an extremely active House Plant Forum where they will be more than happy to answer all of your questions.
    ...See More
  • Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My Croton is not reviving.. please, if anyone can help with some suggestion. It's my most beautiful plant..

• Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Similar like to the original photo. This is a big and expensive plant.. propagating will take me years, no? :)

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

the branches are not getting water to the tips: if they continue to look wilted, the leaves will just drop. if you cut 2-3 tips at least on very leggy branches you can root them and have a small plant in a year or so. if it spends summer outside it grows faster.

you risk loosing the whole plant if you just sit and wait. i have found that they dislike root disturbance on repot. and they often drop leaves within a week when roots are disturbed too much.

what do you have to loose?

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

do you have a few pics from different angles - so we can see which branches are good candidates for propagation?

if you decide to cut, cut about 10-15cm below the lowest leaves.

drop the cut branches into water (submerge) to rehydrate for like 1 hour. it really helps to retain the leaves while rooting. i do it ev 2nd day for like 4-5 times after cutting and the i retain most leaves this way. otherwise they tend to drop leaves in 2 weeks after cutting the tips and without leaves the cut tip will die even if it developed roots.

good luck!

• Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

somehow i feel like trying to save the plant.. this is huge plant. if i will have to grow it from scratch will take many years, I assume..

• Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am a bit confused, because wilted leaves of Croton means that the root is has too much water, so I supposed that I have to not give it water.

However, after re-potting you should give a lot of water.. so what should I try now? should I give it water or not?

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

yes, water. when crotons dry up they die.

the leaves wilt from lack of water: which can happen when roots are rotted or when the soil is dry. in either case the water is not delivered to the leaves.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

when plant is that large and cannot deliver water to the leaves: it drops the leaves. even if it survives (which i doubt) it will look very leggy and unappealing.

when you repotted you probably removed a lot of roots: so it cannot support the large amount of leaves you have in any case. pruning is advised in this case.

you don't need to cut off all the tips just 2-3 on longest worst looking branches. i do not understand your hesitation, since you can loose the plant anyway.

usually when dried up crotons get watered the leaves perk up very fast. or at least next day. since they did not - i think they will be dropping, which might kill the plant.

if you are willing to risk it - it's your plant of course.

• Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I read that when there's not enough water, the leaves will drop and if too much then leaves will wilt. The leaves didn't drop.. so I suppose roots are rotted now. anything I can do to save the roots? how much water should i give to the plant? the usual amount or more?

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

what did the roots look like when you repotted? live roots look white. rotten roots are soft and they usually just dissolve so to speak: they are black and very soft and they get pulled off with all the rootball handling.

>> I read that when there's not enough water, the leaves will drop and if too much then leaves will wilt.

the leaves don't just suddenly drop, first they always wilt ;)...then expect the drop..

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

it needs high humidity to survive in this state. when humidity is high, the leaves will absorb some moisture from the air. what is your humidity?

• Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't know what's the humidity in that place. what if i move it to the bathroom, will that help?

• Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't say now about the roots.. i don't remember

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

run a very warm shower and put it in the shower for like 5 min. turn off the water and let it sit behind the door/curtain overnite: it'll be super warm and humid. it'll help a little.

it will saturate the soil too, so you won't need to water more.

however, planting it in plain supermarket soil is not a good idea : it likes to stay evenly moist but it also needs good drainage. so adding perlite to 1/3 of volume is good or fine bark. or lava stone . or both or all :).

is it indoors in general? when indoors it needs 4-6 hours of sun: east or west window is good.

• Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

do you mean the way it is now to put it in the shower? or without the soil, just the roots?

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

the way it is now, in the pot, but only if the pot has a drainage hole.

how did it get flooded in the pot in any case? the pot did not have a hole then?

• Dave
    4 years ago

If it’s been over watered, don’t keep watering it, don’t stick it in the shower, etc.

Keep the soil just barely moist, give it plenty of light and wait.

I would de pot into a pot just barely big enough to have soil around the roots. I would also inspect all roots and remove anything rotting.

Take a couple cuttings in the mean time if you have anything viable incase you lose the plant.

I have a decent sized Ficus Alii that was over watered while I was on vacation. It dropped most of its leaves after they went limp. I removed all soil and repotted in the the smallest pot the roots would fit in. Lightly watered, placed in front of a large window, chopped it back a bit and waited. Check the soil every could days and didn’t water. It’s now masking a full come back.

Again, don’t be attempted to water. That will only make things worse. Soil should be only very slightly damp all the way down.

• Vladi Trop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Dave. Just to be sure, this is specifically for Croton or just rules for all plants?

• Dave
    4 years ago

I would use this advice for any tropical-type plants.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

Ficus alii and all ficus are super resilient plants that come back from total defoliation fine (been there, done it, have many ficuses ...for many years).

i beg to differ in case of Crotons. that's a totally different animal.

i am not saying you should water it when it's already damp. but if the soil is dry - you should water it ASAP, copiously! dry croton= dead croton. Dry ficus will come back from the dead, dry croton will not.

• Dave
    4 years ago

I wasn’t talking about a dry Ficus vs a dry croton. I’m talking about an over watered Ficus vs an over water croton.

Youre treating this as the plant is having issues because it’s been under watered, but its the opposite. It’s been over watered.

The op already said the soil it was repotted in wasn’t dry.

Ill say again, don’t water it.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

I am making recommendations on how to remedy the situation based on my growing experience with Crotons (indoors in pots 10 years).

The OP obviously has little experience to judge the state, roots conditions, etc. we don't even know if the orig/new pot had a hole in it...

it is necessary to hydrate the leaves quickly or they will drop, regardless of whether the rootball has water. BUT!He stated that he did not water the plant upon the transplant , only the soil below (that has no roots in it). It is possible that the soil has dried up somewhat.

quote:

I have replanted it in new soil (I suppose it's dry, it's the one from supermarket).

I put lots of soil at the bottom, then just made it wet and then I put part of soil that was with the Croton (maybe like 40% of the soil that was on the plant before, otherwise i would have to cut too many roots) of it and then the new soil again on top.

----

SO, he did not water on top. Under normal conditions of warm temps Crotons take A LOT of water - especially the plant this size. Is the orig remaining rootball still wet? - stick a skewer/dowel into the soil to find out: OP needs to do that, before doing anything else. :)

> down sizing the pot

in my opinion disturbing this particular plant with more transplanting will worsen the situation.

to increase humidity around the plant: it needs to be tented in a large plastic bag - that is the best remedy. running the hot shower (without the plant so as not to wet the soil further) and leaving the plant overnight there will help.

I am wrapping up here.