OT......Do you have favorite expressions ?

yoyobon_gw

I just muttered " Lord love a duck ! " in frustration and then wondered if anyone else ever says that.

What are your favorite expressions ?

One of mine is " Cover the butter ! " when anyone says something particularly disgusting.

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vee_new

yoyo, my Mother used to say "Lord love a duck" and when my father was moved to exasperation he would groan "God save Ireland." I've no idea where either expression came from.

Save    
msmeow

I posted on this thread yesterday, but I guess it vanished into the ether! LOL I've never heard "Lord love a duck" before. I wonder what it's origins are?

I posted on another forum that we had a hard rain that was a real frog-strangler, and several members thought that was pretty funny.

My DH and I have picked up "holy crap on a cracker" from the Big Bang Theory.

Donna

Save    
annpanagain

I don't have any but my English grandmother used to exclaim "Gordon Bennett!" when surprised by something happening suddenly.

She told me that it was referring to a soldier and I thought it would have been brought back by army personnel from the First World War.

However there is an alternative explanation on the i'net, that it refers to an American playboy.

Take your pick!

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Anna, after some quick searching I found a very interesting explanation of where that expression originated :

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gordon-bennett.html

1 Like Save    
kathy_t

When I was in my twenties and rather new to my family of in-laws, my former husband's grandmother was telling me about one their relatives and said, "He was so cheap, he wouldn't pay a nickel to see the pope walk a tightwire." That made me laugh hard and all these years later, I still remember that phrase.

1 Like Save    
msmeow

Kathy, we have a friend whose mother said he was so tight he’d make the buffalo on a nickel fart!

Donna

Save    
friedag

During the Great Depression, practically every day would bring people to my grandmother's kitchen door begging for food. One time a youngish woman had an old, tottering woman in tow. The younger one had two tin plates and spoons, and asked for whatever food my grandmother could share. Oma (grandmother) obliged with beans, fried potatoes, and cornbread. Both women were effusive with their "thankee, thankee, thankees." Then the young woman made a further request:

"A lidda bidda buddah fer de sick lady." She tilted her head to indicate her older companion, who did look as if she was about to fall over. Oma split the cornbread and generously buttered the hunks for both of them. They sat on the steps of the kitchen porch to eat.

Oma repeated the story so many times with its key phrase "A lidda bidda buddah . . ." that it became our family's way of saying: Another thing, could I please have something else, something a bit extra . . . like butter for my cornbread -- a little bit of butter for the sick lady.

It's always been important for us to try to pronounce it like in the original dialect rendition. Oma's children, then her grandchildren (my generation), her great-grandchildren, and now some of her great-great-grandchildren all use "a lidda bidda buddah" to make a polite request (it does not have to be butter during a meal; it can mean anything extra, at any time). I want the younger ones to know how this family phrase began, so I've written it up in an expanded version for the compilation of our family's history.

2 Likes Save    
yoyobon_gw

Friedag......that is wonderful. I value oral family history like this. Children need to know their roots and "inside" expressions make all feel like family.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Frieda, I think your story could be important in that it brings alive not just the history of your family but the wider look at the era of the Depression. I wonder how many young people in the US have much/any comprehension about those times 'though only a couple of generations ago?

Save    
friedag

Yoyobon and Vee, quite recently I attended a covered-dish social in Texas where I was seated next to a man about my age I didn't know. I noticed he had not started eating from his filled plate because he was surveying the table obviously looking for something. I asked him: Do you need anything I can pass to you? I was astonished to hear him say, "A little bit of butter for the sick lady." He said the whole phrase, although with the modern pronunciation. As far as I know the phrase originated in Iowa with my grandmother, but now I wonder if it might have been a stock phrase that was current during the Depression, or perhaps even before then. So far, I haven't found any documented evidence of it.

I introduced myself to my tablemate and asked him where he was from. "Iowa," he said. We laughed over both of us knowing the "little bit of butter" expression. He admitted that he hadn't intended to say it, it had just happened spontaneously; but surely it wasn't a coincidence that a rather obscure saying was known by two former Iowans. We speculated whether we might be kinfolk. Later we learned that, yes, we are distantly related. How the phrase came to be used by his branch of the family remains a mystery. I wonder if it spread even farther afield!

I love old-time language uses that have somehow survived. When they crop up unexpectedly in the oddest of places, I think it is marvelous.

1 Like Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

I often use the expression, "We went all around Robin Hood's barn," meaning a roundabout route. I have no idea where I first heard it.

Another is "It's hotter than the hubs of hell."

Or, "He was on that like a duck on a June bug.'

Save    
yoyobon_gw

I often say, in response to an unacceptable idea/suggestion : " Let's not and say we did." The first time I said that to my little grandson about one of his not-so-great ideas my DIL quickly said " No ! We don't lie about things !"

I was amused and shocked that she would react that way to what I considered a phrase that is not literal. I had to assume that she'd never heard it before.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

laceyvail, I am quite familiar with the "Robin Hood's barn" expression. I have never heard it outside of the East Coast. We say "hotter than Hades" (which it truly is here, today, in SC-- 97).

One that I love that I learned from my NC relatives: "even a blind hog could find itself an acorn."

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Lol....the south has some wonderful expressions. Please share more !

Of course everyone has a favorite ending for

this expression :

"dumber than ....."

-a box of rocks

- a bag of door knobs

- a post

Save    
friedag

One memorable saying I first heard in Louisiana, but it might not be only a Southernism. It's about any woman who never has a hair out of place and certainly never sweats.

"She's so perfect you could throw her in a full swimming pool but she wouldn't get wet."

I've known a few of those women. I would never qualify as one.

Save    
msmeow

Frieda, that expression would probably often end with, “bless her heart.” :)

Bon, one time my brother was on a conference call with clients in France. One of the French men said something, and my brother said to his coworker “this guy’s dumb as a box of rocks.” He thought the phone speaker was on mute until the French man asked, “what is the meaning of box of rocks?” I think my brother kept his opinions to himself after that!

Donna

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Donna......bless his heart !

Save    
donnamira

An Alabama acquaintance introduced me to the phrase 'dumber than dirt.' I'm not sure if it's a Southernism, or just peculiar to Alabama. Another phrase for the same idea is one I heard first in the play Nunsense, which is the one I usually use: 'Nice house, nobody home.'

Save    
carolyn_ky

I hear "older than dirt" here.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Another favorite expression when you are dealing with someone who talks a big talk but can't back it up :

" All hat and no cattle."

Save    
vee_new

And a vulgar expression from here for a female who has 'done well' but is no better than she should be "All fur coat and no knickers."

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Vee......I shall remember that one for sure !! lol

When I'm doing something that I might feel is tedious I frequently say to myself " It's not easy being green...." This is from a song sung by Kermit The Frog , the muppet :0) Yes, I know.....I'm deep !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZ-IxZ46ng

Save    
annpanagain

That "No better than she should be" expression annoys me! It doesn't make sense, does it?

No better than she should be ...what?

Save    
yoyobon_gw

The phrase perhaps suggests that she is just an ordinary , usual woman of normal means who is sporting high end goods gotten through questionable and perhaps illegal methods .

Save    
vee_new

Annpan, apparently the expression goes back to Henry Fielding and the mid seventeen hundreds and always referred to females of dubious morals with an eye to the main chance.

Save    
annpanagain

Yoyo, it was always used in a derogatory way of some woman with dubious morals, as Vee said. Sometimes unfairly and in a catty tone. If the woman was within hearing distance, the person uttering the phrase might find themselves in trouble and get a sharp slap in the face! A good character was important and not to be treated lightly.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Lol .....yes for sure derogatory ! Hard to take that statement as a compliment.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

When I was growing up, I often heard as an exclamation: "Oh ye gods and little fishes!" I cannot imagine its origin.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Materials 35 Makers Show Us What They Do With Their Favorite Tools
Houzz readers express their creativity in an astonishing range of ways. View their tools — and their works — here
Full Story
Shop Houzz Up to 80% Off Black Friday Favorites by Style
By Houzz
Express your style and save big with this assortment
See Products
Garden Sheds Pick Your Favorite: Sheds for Every Kind of Garden
Add a personalized touch to your backyard with a shed that complements your home’s style and your taste
Full Story
Our business goal is to grow by building a reputation for offering quality work, fair prices, and excellent... Read More