SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yardvaark

Tree Too Close To Drive For San Diego Lifestyle?

Yardvaark
4 years ago

Is this too close to drive for San Diego lifestyle?

And finally...

I'm thinking it is. Maybe set back a few more feet would be better. :-)

90 seconds earlier my grandson, age 11, walked past these cars, heading off to school. His mom watched him round the corner and then she and the dad (my son) went about getting ready to head out for work. In those cars. 30 seconds later they heard an indescribable, ground shaking noise that they literally had no idea what it was. Needless to say, they were shocked when they opened their front door and saw the green monster lying on their cars (which both came out with only minor dents actually.)

They want to replace the tree but are pretty-clueless-types-about-landscape-stuff type people, and what grows in California is not my specialty. Wondering if any SoCal people have a suggestion about a good, medium sized shade tree for that area. (The front yard is not big.) In Poway. They would probably not want a massive flower or fruit drop as there is a lot of paving in the area.

As an aside, in the fleshing out of the story, it is learned that they had about a weeks worth of subtle (except for the last one!) red flag warnings that something was going to happen .... but those warnings went entirely unheeded! A week earlier, my grandson complained to his dad that the tire swing was getting too low to the ground. Son thought the kids playing on it was stretching out the rope. A half week earlier, my son said he was in the front yard and thought he heard a crack sound in the vicinity of the tree but didn't know what it was or exactly where it came from. Yesterday morning (when this happened), the grandson started out for school but did an immediate 'bout face .... "Dad, the tire swing is ON the ground!" "Oh ... OK. Gee, you guys really did stretch that rope!" (Poor kids ... never taken seriously.) That is two minutes before the crash. After the fact, the next door neighbor, who must park her car next to the tree when she opens the gate to get into her yard, reported that she had heard the tree crack a couple days earlier. Now, if the Department of Homeland Security had been on the ball and put all these reports and facts together and run an analysis, they might have concluded that a seismic event was imminent. But that didn't happen on account of no one connecting the dots. Wouldn't it have been nice to have driven off to work a mere 5 minutes earlier in unscathed cars?? As it was, they couldn't get their cars for many hours and much $$$$ later.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio