SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rguilmette

12 x 24" tile too large for small bathroom?

rguilmette
4 years ago

Renovating a 4 x 8 master bath. Shower is 32" wide (fixture side) x 43" long. Wanted to use a 12 x 24" porcelain tile for a transitional/contemporary look, but am not rethinking the grout seams on 32" edge, which will also hold a frameless or semi-frameless sliding shower door. Tile is also made in 4 x 12".

Should I use the large tile on the floor and the smaller tile on shower walls? Am tiling up to the 8' ceiling. Attaching a picture of the board at the tile shop. If you blow it up, you can see the 4x12 on the top, the 12x24 below the border, and the 2X2 I will use on the floor.

Do you agree that I need to keep the tile horizontal and not vertical in such a small room. There is a small high window on the opposite side from the shower, but otherwise the open space just has enough room to barely hold a 30" vanity and a small toilet.

Was going to skip a border to visually keep from breaking up the space and looking dated in the future, but wondering if a small border would make it more interesting. Toilet and vanity are white, vanity top is light gray quartz (Pental Quartz Gray Savoie).

Here is a picture of the tile with one of the proposed borders if I do that route. So far I haven't found a tile that would just be a texture change to use to break up the expanse and am not sure if the border is too bright and jarring. Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments (12)