SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_stockley

Back entry wallpaper

Holly Stockley
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

While our new home project slowly (glacially) moves along, we're starting all those little projects that need to happen in our current home before we put it on the market.

Among these projects is my back entryway. It is currently wallpapered in rather horrible fashion. (No, I didn't pick it, I've just lived with it). The paper and border are present around the door and the stairwell that goes to the basement immediately inside. This is a DIY project, and three things must be kept in mind:

1. Much of the paper is up high, over the stairs. I'm going to have to do some interesting gymnastics and improvise a little scaffold to reach it. This means I'm unwilling to do a LOT of monkeying around with it.

2. In some areas the paper has even been worn through slightly to the plaster beneath. The plaster, for it's part, has a texture that is visible through the paper. It appears to be very, very thin paper.

3. This really needs to be just nice enough to sell. Not for House Beautiful. I AM going to paper over the paper. Because I've removed paper in order to paint in this house before, and it's the 9th circle of Hell. Yes, I know it's not the "right" way to do it.

The house is a small 1947 Cape Cod located in a Lake Michigan beach town, although a good mile + from the actual beach. The rest of it is largely getting painted as well. Probably Sherwin Williams Sea Salt, as it's reasonably neutral, goes well with the countertops in the kitchen, and with the floors, and is a light color appropriate for a house that has the smaller windows typical of its age. Floors are the original 2" oak.

So, something lighter, brighter, and fresher that won't break the bank. Probably best to avoid anything overly "nautical" in theme, as this isn't really a beach cottage.

(All trim will be repainted, and the hooks will be switched out for new hardware)

Comment (1)