Did you read Where The Crawdads Sing ? Let's discuss it.
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (26)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Let's get it out, or has this already been discussed?
Comments (31)I find it ironic, and somewhat insulting, to hear SMs referred to as the "third party". The "third party" theory may be the case when it comes to the SM who only has her SC EOW and a few weeks during the summer. But there are so many of us here who do what these BM should be doing for their own children, and choose not to. They push the responsibilty of the children on the BF, and if he is married, on the SM as well. You can sit there and say that SM should have no say and are nothing more than a "third party", but in what seems most cases on this site, it is the BM who is the "third party". It just burns me that I do everything for my SC, as I do for my DD, everyday of their lives, and I still have to hear from BM that I have no say, a "third party". Thank goodness DH has my back! So before you claim that we SM are "third parties", please consider our roles in these childrens lives. You'll find in alot of cases, we are the only REAL mothers these kids have. I agree that there are many SM who are detrimental to their SC, just as many BM are detrimental to their own kids. But I think a SM has to be given a chance to be a SM before judgement can be passed upon them. I did not have that chance before I was judged by BM. However, BM is the only one who thinks I am a worse "mother" than she is! And please don't think I have anything against BM who care for their children the way a mom should. I too am a BM who has found that it is better for my DD to work with her SM than to try to work against her. She is a part of my DD life whether I like it or not. I don't agree with alot of what she does, but by giving her respect for the role she plays in DD life, we manage to make things smoother for my child. And in the end, it is the happiness of the child that matters most....See MoreLets discuss pendant lights in the kitchen over the sink
Comments (12)I know that to meet electrical code, where there is water around electricity, you have to be careful. Which is why they do not want a chandelier fixture over a bathtub, things like that. And, even though you are short, your arms and reach are just like taller folks. Plus, you have big cookie sheets and trays which you will be washing at the kitchen sink, and you do not want to hit them on the light fixture. Just for safety sake, plan on keeping it at least 30 inches above your counter top. I think with Candace Olsen she said with a chandelier to keep a chandelier 30 inches above the surface of a dining table, so you have an unimpeded view of folks across the table from you. Working this out, a counter top is 36 inches high. Then you put the fixture 30 inches above that, and it is 5.5 feet from the floor. If you are taller than 5 feet 6 inches, you raise it up so you have a clear view out the window. I'm thinking with a seven foot ceiling, the pendant would be 12 inches below the ceiling, should you have a window over your sink. I might be missing something here, but when I do my kitchen, I have an 8 foot 2 inch ceiling to deal with, and I want a garden window so I can see all the birds at my feeders in the garden outside there. If it is going to be a problem, think about a different kind of focused light to shine on your task at the sink....See MoreOctober Book Discussion - Never Let Me Go
Comments (39)I know I am ridiculously late on this discussion, but in case some crazy person comes and rereads it the way I did, I'll still post my thoughts. I had some comments on the original question of why Kathy is blind to Ruth's faults, but also some ideas about Kathy and Ruth's relationship (as was mentioned above), and the character of Ruth in general. Kathy and Ruth's relationship, and the way Kathy was blind to Ruth's personality flaws irritated me immensely throughout the novel. As many people have mentioned, perhaps Kathy is "blind" because she has been conditioned to accept the fact that she doesnÂt understand everything. From the time she was young, there were facts about Hailsham, her future, and about her life in general that she didnÂt know. Yet questioning was discouragedÂperhaps not explicitly (Kathy notes that the guardians never forbid it), but at least de facto. The students would punish each other for curiosity, so Kathy learned to keep her mouth shut and not to spend too much time wondering about it either. She doesnÂt question, she accepts. Perhaps that is why she doesnÂt analyze or look deeper into RuthÂs actions, doesnÂt realize how selfish motives are governing RuthÂs decisions. She just accepts that that is the way Ruth is, it is only when Ruth makes her angry that she confronts her. RuthÂacting manipulatively and selfishly throughout the novelÂirritates the hell out of the reader. Or at least me. Probably most people have known a person like Ruth, had a friend that was domineering, nice on the surface, but secretly deceptive and selfish. If I am honest with myself, I realize that, although I dislike it, I can identify with RuthÂs emotions and motives...if not her actions as well. Ruth isn't an unusual child. On virtually any playground, you could find a child who wanted to be the "boss", the one in charge. Especially among girls, it is common to find one child who establishes her importance by blatantly displaying and calling attention to some possession or quality that she has and the others donÂt. (RuthÂs horses and her knowledge about the plot to kidnap Miss Geraldine). It is also completely natural that the girl would then proceed to solidify her power and her importance by exercising control over the others. For example, which girls are "cool" enough to spend time with her, or which students are "favored" enough to play with or even look at her special toy or possession. In my opinion, it becomes clear to the reader throughout the novel that RuthÂs precious displays of her own importance are merely compensation for her insecurity and her fear that she is insignificant. (Which is completely logical when one realizes that they are seen by society as "creatures" not humans). This is subtley shown in the way she manipulates the other girls and alludes to being Miss GeraldineÂs favorite,. It becomes obvious during their years at the Cottages as she tries to impress the veterans. ......See MoreIt's June ... What are you reading?
Comments (107)My DD and S-in-L took a 'break' to NYC earlier in the year and brought me back a copy of 97 Orchard 'an edible history of 5 immigrant families in one New York Tenement' by Jane Ziegelman. The sort of book you can pop into and out of now and again. I'm only about halfway through but finding out much about the Jewish community in the Lower East Side and how their eating patterns were formed by a mixture of where they had come from in Europe and the American traditions they met once they had crossed the Atlantic. Of course what Ms Ziegelman knows about the actual inhabitants of this neighbourhood has been gleaned from census returns, rate books etc. These people didn't leave memoirs, write notes or recipes and as soon as the husbands got a better paying job they upped sticks and moved to a more prosperous area. So the families were always at the 'bottom of the honest heap' It appears that many of the Jewish community were eager to 'conform' to US working practices, some of them changed their Sabbath to a Sunday and started cooking shell fish and pig/pork, in its many forms. Much info on German/Polish/ Lithuanian bread making, but only a little about the Irish influence, possibly because it was not much different from what was being eaten in England and therefore by the earlier 'settlers' to the City. The only negative thing about the book is the very pale ink used and the close small print. It makes reading for long rather a chore!...See More- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
ARCHITECTURERoots of Style: Where Did Your House Get Its Look?
Explore the role of architectural fashions in current designs through 5 home styles that bridge past and present
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLWhere Did You Stay During Your Remodel?
Did you live through the noise and dust during your project, rent a place or camp in your backyard? Tell us your story
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWhere to Splurge, Where to Save in Your Remodel
Learn how to balance your budget and set priorities to get the home features you want with the least compromise
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESWhere to Splurge and Where to Save When Decorating
Get a designer’s advice on where to invest in durable essentials and focal pieces for your home, and where to economize
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNWhere to Save Money on a Landscape Renovation
These 10 cost-saving ideas from professionals can help you stretch your budget without sacrificing style or quality
Full Story
DOORSLet's Walk Through the Latest Door Trends
The functional feature has been getting a dose of flexibility, creativity and glamorous detail
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLEver Found or Left a Note in the Wall the Way This Couple Did?
The remodeling couple whose note from previous homeowners went viral tell us about their fun find. What’s yours?
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESHow to Read a Floor Plan
If a floor plan's myriad lines and arcs have you seeing spots, this easy-to-understand guide is right up your alley
Full Story
kathy_t