SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_883386961

60 amp fuse box service line from meter to fuse box

Ed Lewis
4 years ago

First of all, please look at the attached image (drawing) and photo which shows the fuse box schematic and type. It will help a lot. I know it is only 60 amps but the house belongs to my father who is not living there, it is unoccupied. Also the circuits worked fine before the electric lines between the meter and fuse box developed a short or most likely an open due to freeze/thaw, tree roots, structure settlement, shifting, etc. any of those reasons. Whatever it was caused only 1 leg or 120 volts left working. It needs work like plumbing, remodeling, heating etc. I am the oldest son and caretaker of the property. I do not know what will happen to the property when my father passes. Most likely it will be sold as is; we get plenty of people wanting to buy who like the idea of doing all the upgrades on their own.

So the problem now is I need the wiring from the meter to the fuse box replaced. From my drawing the conduit runs underground partway, approximately 3 ft. vertical and 6 ft horizontal. Everything above the meter tested normal. I do not want an upgrade at this point for two reasons; 1-I’m only using a few lights and a few outlets to clean and do repairs, no heating, air conditioning, stove or hot water needed. In other words very light electrical load. 2-Whoever buys the property has the option to create their own remodel. So with the electric, they may want 150amp or 200amp panel box etc.

We pulled the meter and tried pulling the old wiring out of the conduit between the meter and fuse box but only one 3 ft piece of broken wire came thru. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (4)