SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanna_m

Correct installation of an undermount farmhouse sink?

Tanna M
4 years ago

Hi there, I noticed I have seen three different ways of installing farmhouse sinks. On the three sides that are covered by countertop:
• the first way, the countertop rests on the edge of the sink so there is still a piece of the edge of the sink visible:

• the second way, the countertop comes all the way up to the edge of the sink so it is one straight piece of countertop and sink, no edge of the sink exposed:

I have even seen cases where the counter goes even further over the edge of the sink where there is actually a shadow (see the back edge) caused by the counter coming out even further than the sink edge:

Is there a name for these two different styles? Are they both just considered undermount? Is one better than the other? I am trying to understand if they are both done right, and I just need to choose how I want mine?

I also know there is a third way, the flushmount, however I rarely see this:

My cabinet salesman says my cabinet contractor has not installed the sink correctly since I wanted it undermount style. Does this look correct? Is the extra space for plywood/counters? Who is right, the contractor or the salesman?

Salesman: "Are you going to under-mount or flush-mount your farmhouse style sink? From the photo (below), seems your sink will be flush with the countertop. You may want to double check with your installer. If you want to do a under-mount sink as how we planned before, he may have to lower the sink. "

Comments (18)