Just got a call from myself, except it was a MR.

glenda_al

Of course, I did not answer it. And using my number. How'd they do that?

SaveComment20Like1
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

I just returned from a long cruise. My number called me 4 times. I have a caption call phone and it showed my wife's name horribly misspelled as the caller. I have no idea how that happens but it is extremely frustrating.

2 Likes Save    
glenda_al

Mr Glenda just called again. I just let it ring.

Just blocked me from calling me!

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

It is called spoofing.

2 Likes Save    
lindaohnowga

Our phone number calls us too. Seems so strange to see that come up on the caller ID.

1 Like Save    
morz8

I've seen that a couple of times here on my phone but not lately. And I agree its a little unsettling to see yourself calling ;0)

Had an odd one this morning that was less than professional. My SS number has been put on hold - 'for some reasons'. Yes, that's actually what was said, my soc number was no longer active 'for some reasons'. Maybe that was supposed to make me curious enough to call back. It didn't. I may never know what those reasons are ;0)

2 Likes Save    
sushipup1

Glenda, I've posted this before. Maybe it will help explain what's going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Save     Thanked by glenda_al
joyfulguy

I was told many years ago that it's not so bad to talk to yourself ...

... but it gets into troublesome territory when ...

... you start answering yourself back!

At that point, it's getting pretty close to shrink time!

Or so I was told.

ole joyful

8 Likes Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Best junk call I ever got had this caller ID: Illegal scam. My son laughed himself silly and said that must have been one really ticked off IT guy.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

ole joyful, I'd always heard that it's a problem when you argue with yourself and lose!

3 Likes Save    
georgysmom2

I hate saying this because it may bring on some bad luck my way.....This is new to me. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Save    
quasifish

Wow, this just happened to us this weekend as well. I feel a little better knowing we are not alone. It was weird seeing our name and number on the caller ID.

Save    
nicole___

Haven't gotton that one ....yet. The police and fire department are collecting money, since they apparently aren't getting paid otherwise. If I appreciated them....I'd give them more money. :0)

Save    
mama goose_gw zn6OH

I had a message yesterday (didn't answer the phone) that my SS# has been cancelled. Last week I received the Chinese call. And then there are the ones that say, "Please don't hang up"--which is my signal to hang up.

Save    
sjerin

If I do answer the phone (no caller id) and hearing "that voice", (you know the type,) starts talking, I immediately hang up. I have no interest in the nonsense they spout.

Save    
Lars

I don't get calls from my own number, but sometimes I will get a call that has the same area code and the same first three numbers but then different last four numbers. I know not to pick up.

When I was in college in the 1970s, I got an obscene phone call, which I found amusing. I asked the caller to be more specific, and he hung up and did not call back. This was way before caller ID.

3 Likes Save    
matthias_lang

Lars, "can you be more specific" is hilarious. I almost wish I'd get such a call just so I could use that line.

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

Hi Annie,

Yeah - getting into arguments usually isn't very useful ...

... especially with yourself!

ole joyful

Save    
caflowerluver

Just got calls from my phone number and ID several times this morning. Does that trick really work?

Save    
miss_sistersue

I got three calls a few days ago from myself. And today I picked up the phone to be told "We are removing your number from our call list, sorry for any inconvenience." Hilarious. They're calling to say they won't be calling.

Save    
sushipup1

They're calling to say they won't be calling.

Not really, they're phishing for a response from you. Any response at all, and they know it's a 'live' number, and then they sell your number.

Save    

Related Stories

Call for DIY Projects: Show Us What You've Got!
Share a Pic of Your Handiwork with the Houzz Community
Full Story
Most Popular Why Google Just Paid $3.2 Billion for a Company That Makes Thermostats
Smart home technology just got a new champion — and everyone is speculating about the reasons
Full Story
Before and Afters A Living Room Miracle With $1,000 and a Little Help From Houzzers
Frustrated with competing focal points, Kimberlee Dray took her dilemma to the people and got her problem solved
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: Show Us Your Thanksgiving Fails
On some holidays you are just thankful when it’s over
Full Story
Spring Gardening Houzz Call: What Are Your Spring Gardening Plans?
Tearing out the lawn? Planting edibles? Starting from scratch? Tell us what you plan to change in your garden this year
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: Show Us Your Thanksgiving Table Decor!
Mercury glass, pheasant feathers and colorful glassware are just a few of the fall table setting ideas we're spotting
Full Story
Houzz Call Houzz Call: Show Us Your 8-by-5-Foot Bathroom Remodel
Got a standard-size bathroom you recently fixed up? We want to see it!
Full Story
Life Houzz Call: What’s Your Perfect House Size?
How big is too big? How small is too small? Please tell us which home size is just right for you
Full Story
Houzz Call: What Gives You the Creeps at Home?
Halloween horror got nothing on your basement, attic or closet? Show us that scary spot you steer clear of
Full Story