SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Just got back from Urgent Care........

No two ways about it - I am clumsy......or at least accident prone :-) I have managed to break the same foot twice and have fallen on my face sufficently hard enough to damage teeth. And have stepped on a nail at least once in my memory.

But this latest injury takes the cake. I managed to impale my foot on a toothpick (!!) that was imbedded in my carpet. And obviously broke off a portion that remained stuck in my foot. Hurt like a son of a gun!! I soaked the foot and tried my best to get it out but couldn't see clearly enough nor able to grasp it firmly.

So this morning it is slightly swollen and a bit inflamed and I cannot apply any pressure without shooting pain. So I go to our local Urgent Care facility. Very efficient, very professional and moderately fast. They washed the site, applied a topical anesthetic and had me wait a few minutes for the doc. She came in, gave me a lidocaine injection and one for tetanus and then pulled out a 3/4" long piece of toothpick!! I thought maybe there was at most a 3/8" remant still in the foot but this was like half the toothpick! No wonder it hurt so much!

So a word to the wise........watch out being barefoot, even in the house. And keep track of those toothpicks, especially the really durable, hefty round ones. They are like little bitty daggers!!

Comments (34)