SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmoranuk

Lighting too dim or too fancy for a laundry?

Karenmo
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

The current overhead fluorescent light in our laundry/panty has started to die, coincidentally just as we are about to begin some renovations in that space.

First I fantasized about this as a replacement:

Why this one? It seemed so perfect, since the walls are various shades of aqua, the price was good, and it's sort of my style (vaguely Art Deco/Arts&Crafts). In the reno we'll be adding this flooring:

BUT (isn't there always a BUT in these dilemma stories?) my concern is that even with two 100 watt bulbs that it uses, the light would be too dim and not distributed well enough in the rectangular space (7.5x12 feet). So I looked for a more rectangular shaped thing, didn't find an appealing, sleek LED in my price range (abut $150-200), and came upon this chandelier that really caught my eye:

(here's the link -- couldn't get the image to load)

It might sound silly to even contemplate crystal lighting in a laundry, but I already have one in my dining room, do spend alot of time in and out of this laundry room since it's right off the kitchen, and I use the space as a workroom for any number of project. And the glass pieces are all pretty rounded which seems to tone down the formality a bit.

BUT it might be too dim.

This adjustable height, kitchen island pendant accommodates four candelabra-base lightbulbs up to 40 W each over its 30 inch length. So while the light might be distributed a bit more than the colorful light I looked at earlier, the watt total is less, 160 vs. 200.

In terms of lumens, if I used the 40 W equivalent LED bulbs, E12 base clear, which evidently are 300-350 lumens per bulb, then there would be roughly 1200-1400 lumens. I am not sure how this would compare to the light we have now, which really will be our psychological "standard." it was there when we bought the house so I have no idea what kind of bulbs are in it..... I did find a blog called something like LouieLighting which states: "We recommend 1180 lumens for each ceiling mounted fixture in an 8×10 laundry room."

So maybe I could "get by" with the pretty chandelier, especially if I add an undercabinet light over the washer as I am contemplating. But I want everyone who uses the room to feel like it is bright enough when they walk in and flip the ceiling light switch without resorting to task lighting.

Comments (17)