SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sketchwell

Bathroom remodel ready to reveal! Laundry too!

scottie mom
5 years ago

A couple of years ago, some of you helped me sort out a kitchen design issue, and some of the best advice I got was not to go forward with anything too extreme before resolving a laundry access problem that existed. The kitchen has been working well for the past 2.5 years, and now I’m happy to report that I’ve solved the laundry thing—by remodeling the bathroom!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/old-house-funky-kitchen-grateful-for-your-layout-advice-dsvw-vd~3834042

What started as a “maybe let’s redo the shower tile” turned into a full-on gut renovation which took about three months. I’ll post a bunch of photos here. Feel free to ask questions. I don’t post a ton here, but I cannot begin to tell you how helpful it has been to read others’ experiences, and to learn from pros and amateurs alike. I’m very grateful for your generosity!

First, the shower. We began with demolition of this first. The entire bathroom was done in Indian Slate about 20 years ago. It was ok, but dated. And I wanted to incorporate laundry into this room, which would involve some demolition anyway. The old mud-set pan was ripped out, and a new shower built. I did keep the fixtures (all Axor Hans Grohe,) but I added a hand shower (Montreux) in place of a second shower head. The floor tile is a mosaic made from recycled windshield glass. Yes, it does feel great underfoot ;-)

The shower walls are a pretty basic 3x12 white. It’s ok, but I kind of regret not doing a handmade. In any event, the floor wants to be the star of this show! Jambs are Carrara marble, and there is a niche that I don’t think I have a photo of. We had a “bench” of sorts in the former shower, but it was kind of useless. I think the teak stool is much prettier.

Comments (52)