SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethsarahd

fiddle leaf fig root rot (aka most common post title ever)

Elizabeth Dinner
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm guilty of what the majority of the public is guilty of when owning this tree. I swore I'd be the 2% (the percentage I've been told of owners that successfully grows them). Nope I'm with the other 98%. I relocated the plant directly in front of my east facing bedroom, foregoing home aesthetics and where I originally had and wanted to put it (11 feet away from both east and west large windows). I had it for weeks and weeks before it had problems. It came in the most perfect condition. I'm still figuring it all out. Yesterday I decided to prune off a few (approx 5) really awful leaves leaving about 1/2 inch on the trunk in attempt at notching. I've also had about 5 or so drop on their own. Now tonight, at 1030p I pulled it out of its pot to see extremely wet soil. I watered the pot and rinsing all of its leaves (in my shower as I always do and let it drain for at least 15 min in the black plastic nursery pot it came in before moving it back to its spot) exactly 7 days ago. I took someone's advice several weeks ago and was putting a long wooden skewer all the way to the bottom to check when it's dry (as opposed to my finger and moisture meter). I've been in no rush to water. I was also told to water thoroughly, rather than just with a watering can.

How in an east facing window, after 7 days, in the potting soil from a very good nursery still be so wet? I shook the majority of it off and tossed it now and rinsed the roots. it's sitting in the pot to air out a couple of hours (I can't sleep now anyway) and am at a loss for what to do next. I know I'm supposed to trim off the rotted roots but I'm not confident what to take away exactly. I have a forest of different types of plants growing in my dining room but this plant is killing me (even though I know it's really ME killing IT). I'm aware the road to recovery will take a long long time, but I have a new leaf sprouted a couple of days ago,now about 4 inches long and don't wanna lose it. and to make matters worse,i had a very exciting green bud sprouting from the lower half of the trunk under all the existing leaves, which I feel is rare?? Anyway, I accidentally knocked it off when I was shaking off all the soil. :(

Comment