SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spjin

My fiddle leaf fig pruning/propagating trial and error

spjin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been visiting the FLF forums for months now. I've had good luck with plants my whole life but was nervous about doing anything with the FLF because they're hard to come by and it's scary to prune something so big and beautiful for the first time.

I learn by trial and error and thought I'd share this for others in case it's useful. I do not mean this to contradict any of the excellent information I found here, but I suppose I've learned that even though I didn't do things as they "should" have been done, I've had some decent results, mainly at least one cutting that looks like it will be a promising plant.

Back in September I asked about pruning the fig shown below and it was suggested that I wait until June because the plant would respond better because of its growth cycle. I intended to wait but I got impatient, as I'm betting a few of us have when it comes to this kind of thing. I pruned the branch on the right at the red mark and I then saved two sections to try to propagate. I also pulled some leaves off and tried to root those as well.

(tree prior to pruning - September)

The branch on the left was air layered in early/middle October and by the beginning of December it had developed enough roots to cut it off and plant it. (This worked the best out of all of the processes I tried.)

None of the leaves rooted in water after 2.5 months so I threw them away and concentrated on the branches. I had used rooting hormone and put one in soil to root and the other in water. They had plenty of sun and I left a few leaves on with the idea that they would make food for the branch to root. The one in soil didn't do anything for a long time and in fact started to shrivel a bit, most likely because I had way too tall of a branch in the soil. The other I had put in water but again, I believe I left the branch way too long, about 16-18 inches, and nothing happened there either. I ended up cutting both down a second time and put them in water with some rooting hormone.

It took a long time but finally a couple of small roots formed on one branch in the water, oddly the one that had begun to shrivel. Nothing but callus formed on the other - not a single root. Stupidly, I took the branch out to look at the roots and when I put it back in I barely touched the root against the other branch and broke it off, ruining the insanely slow progress the plant had made. Sadly, I didn't learn the first time did this TWICE.

Frustration about this gave me the idea add a couple of drops of Miracle-Gro Quick Start to the water. Quick Start stimulates root growth to make transplanting plants easier. I've used it for years for spring flowers and thought I'd give it a go. I'm guessing that there's a valid reason that using Quick Start hasn't been suggested anywhere, but the branch went nuts and put all of this out within a couple of weeks.

(Quick Start roots that are now wrapped in sphagnum moss)

I had read here (Thanks to Tapla) that roots started in water are more brittle and not as able to absorb water once planted in soil. This me nervous because it looked like it was time to plant but I was sure I'd end up breaking most of them off during the process. So today I decided to take this same cutting, wrap the roots in damp sphagnum moss and see if some stronger ones sprout to aid these you see above.

(what remains from all of the rooting attempts)

This photo shows all that I have left from the big prune. The one in the pot was the air layered branch and it's thriving and put out new leaves soon after being potted.

The branch on the right is the one with the roots shown above. I put a couple of drops of Quick Start in the water I soaked the sphagnum in and now it's "planted" with hopes that new strong roots will develop.

The one on the left is the branch that never did a thing. Today I cut it down again to the height you see here. I cut the bottom off at an angle to expose as much area as possible for rooting, cut down the leaf, per recommendations here, and put it in damp sphagnum with a couple of Quick Start drops. We'll see what happens here as this is the one that has taken the most abuse, being cut down about three times now.

This picture below is what the FLF in the first photo looks like right now close up. This is where I cut off the air layered branch. You can see that very quickly a bud has formed in the axil on the left and another small bud seems to be sprouting on the lower right. These will eventually be branches.

This is where I began to understand why it was recommended that I wait until spring/summer to do this. Apparently if I waited the roots that supported the branches I cut off would have had lots of energy left that would have forced more buds to pop. This way I got the expected one in the axil on the left but only one bud below, which is exactly what Tapla said could be expected in one of the posts somewhere.

(growth after removing air layered branch)

(where first branch was cut off in September)

This picture is where the tallest branch had been on the right as shown in the first picture. This only made one bud, not two.

At this point the original plant looks like a shrub, but the new growth looks strong and healthy. There is a thin third branch that seems to be strengthening because the tree has less on top to provide for now. It will be interesting to see what happens with it in the next few months.

The FLF behind it looks pretty much like it came out of a decorating magazine. I was fortunate enough to buy it that way and I hope I can keep it that way! Eventually I'd like to notch it in one spot to encourage a branch. It was much fuller when I first got it and due to the change in climate/light it lost a good number of small leaves from the bottom and inside.

I know this was long, but hopefully it was helpful. Now that I've seen the results of my choices I understand more fully what experts were explaining. While more vigorous, immediate growth would be preferred, it has been fun to watch the changes over the fall/winter.

If I experiment any further I'll post again if I think it will be helpful. Thanks for indulging me here and Happy New Year to all!

Comments (19)