SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmm181

Getting my Fiddle Leaf Fig Healthy - Please Help!

Jonathan Malek
6 years ago

I purchased a fiddle leaf fig last week that had some issues when I bought it. As I prepare for the fall/winter season, I want to make sure I have a good plan place to keep it as healthy as possible before repotting in June.

As you can see from the photos, there is some browning on the edges of the leaves, especially the lower ones. The two lowest leaves have already fallen off as well. I'm working on determining the cause but I'm wondering if it could be lack of sunlight. The store we bought it from had it in the middle of a long room with

only north facing windows at one end. It now sits directly in front of a large west facing window in our apartment. My light questions are: is it okay if the sun rays hit the plant through the window or should I try to filter the light more? Also, if it was used to getting less light in the store, will it be shocked by the change of getting a lot more light so quickly?

I'm a little concerned that it is also root bound as it comes out all in one piece of compacted root and soil. I don't want to do a full repot until June when it is more active and can recover. My plan was to pot up for now to try and get it through the winter. I plan to add a ballast to the bottom of a larger pot so perched water will not be damaging the root ball but will rather be below that. I will then fill in with a mixture of perlite and well draining cactus soil. Eventually when I repot I will try either the 5-1-1 mix or the gritty mix that I have seen discussed at length on this forum. Does anyone know if that is a good strategy to get me through the winter? Does anyone have recommendations on the perlite to cactus mix that would be best to fill in the gaps?

Since I've only had it for a week, it's hard to tell whether my watering has been too little or too much. I checked the soil last night with a dowel rod and it came out dry so I plan to give it a good watering tonight. Since I don't know what fertilizer was used by the store I bought him from, I plan to flush it pretty good to try and remove leftover salts from the soil and then start fertilizing with Foliage Pro 9-3-6 once a month. After flushing I will be sure to tilt him at a 45 degree angle to try and remove any excess water.

For those of you that have had success with fiddle leaf figs, does this sound like a good course of action to save him? I want to make sure I'm not going to do anything that would be counterproductive going into the fall/winter. Once I can bring his vitality up, I'm sure I'll have many more questions about the repotting and pruning processes.

Jon

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living