SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Pita bread from "Beard on Bread"

Lars
5 years ago

Uncooked dough

Baked pita

I followed his recipe very carefully (I made half a recipe), and I have an oven thermometer to make sure I baked it at the temperature he advised, but it came out rather hard - almost like it had been toasted. Also, it is not the type of pita that makes a pocket but is very similar to pita I have had in Armenian and Turkish/Syrian restaurants, which I am okay with, since I was not planning to use it with falafel. I served it with hummus instead. I sprinkled the top with what I thought was za'atar, but I think I must have mislabeled the jar, as it has more of a chili flavor and I don't see any sesame seeds or herbs in it. I store za'atar in the freezer, to preserve the sesame seeds, but I think I am going to need to make a new batch. I like the topping I used - I'm just not sure what it is.

I think I would like to make pita that makes a pocket next time, and I'm not sure how to do that.

Do you have a favorite pita recipe? BTW, I used semolina flour on the baking sheet instead of cornmeal because I did not want cornmeal in my pita.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida