SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Looking for a different kind of persimmon bread recipe

We get a good crop of persimmons every fall and I'm trying to find a way to bake with them. The problem is, I don't like very sweet foods--the standard baking powder fruit bread is to my palate very sweet--and I don't really want a bread with a lot of fat in it either. I experimented a modification of Beard's apricot bread (in Beard on Bread) with curious results. I substituted two cups of persimmon puree for the soaked apricots and their cooking water (2 1/2 cups in all) and decreased the sugar from one cup to 1/4 cup; and I baked the batter in a single long narrow loaf pan rather than in two pans as the recipe said. Ingredients as I made it: 2 c. persimmon pulp, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, 2 eggs, 2 3/4 cup flour (half whole wheat, half white) 1 Tbsp. baking powder. I left out the chopped nuts, not being sure how the bread would come out. The results were heavy--pudding-y--rather than like a bread or cake.

So, experts: is there a way I can get a persimmon bread that IS a bread without adding more sugar or adding fat? The result had a decent flavor, by the way, and was plenty sweet. Could adding another egg help? Beating the egg whites and folding them in? I also don't want to increase the proportion of flour to other ingredients, for fear of dulling the flavor and also because I may be somewhat sensitive to wheat.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Comments (8)