SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jslazart

Kitchen layout help

jslazart
5 years ago

Ok.. our master bath remodel is coming to a close and it's time to go to the next chapter: the kitchen. I love so much about my kitchen, but it is just not working for me and my family. We are two adults, two kids (15 and 5), but only one of us (me) cooks. My husband does the dishes. We entertain large groups (pool parties / bbqs / major holidays) 3-4 times per year, and my husband would like to do more. Some pictures of the current kitchen:

To the left of the fridge is the door to the garage. The door you can see is a powder room. The peninsula has a 9" overhang, and the ceiling is 7' high. At our last party, 8 people all managed to perch at the peninsula. No one used the dining table.

I love my range, knife bar, and pot rack.

This is the other door in the space: it goes outside. to the pool/grill area.

The current layout:

Problems: The kitchen is a major freeway. The fridge blocks the garage door, which is also the laundry door, and anyone who can't possibly wait to get something out of the fridge while I'm cooking goes right through the work zone. The work zone has only 4' of really useful prep space next to the range (which has a wood top that has obviously caught on fire in the past). The sink is 6' of aisle space from the range. The awesome professional baking table on the back wall just accumulates random things because it's too far from anything to be useful. There's more (cabinet doors are falling off their hinges and have apparently been touched up over the years using 3 different shades of white), but that's the overview.

The proposed layout:

Tell me I'm crazy.

This keeps my appliances (which I love): a 36" counter depth subzero refrigerator, a thermador 36" professional range (extra deep), my drawer dishwasher, and has countertop space for my toaster oven. Note, we don't own a microwave and haven't for about 5 years. I don't miss it.

This layout, I hope, also solves other house problems: it improves traffic flow through the current (awkward) family room while turning it into a dining room, it decreases the chances that one of my guests will die by tipping their dining chair into the sunken living room, it brings the laundry back out of the garage into its original location inside the house, it adds privacy between the kitchen and the half-bath, it "protects" the work zone from intruders going to and from the garage/laundry/bathroom, and it gives me more storage. Win-win-win-win. But I know I'm blind to all the downsides and would love to hear thoughts.

I have this mapped out on graph paper, too, but my lighting is terrible. I'll snap a picture when I get some daylight tomorrow. Overall, the kitchen, if I move the walls around as drawn, would be about 13'1x20'3.

Comments (17)