SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Bare Root Roses just arrived - what do I do with them now?

I received my rose order from Palatine late today and wondering how to hold them over until I can plant them. They arrived in a box, inside were very good looking plants and roots in a thick plastic bag that was tied. I can see moisture drops on the inside of the bag, and pale new growth in a number of places.

The directions say to soak them in a bucket of water for a couple of hours, then plant out, but it's too late tonight for me to do that unless I am leaving them in the water all night. They said not longer than 24 hrs. I hope I will get them planted tomorrow, but - it might be Friday or Saturday before I do. They suggest heeling them in, if you are not going to plant right away.

For tonight, I haven't opened the bag yet. I used to order from Pickering and they recommended putting the bags into the refrigerator, so these directions are different. It's usually in the low 60s overnight in our house. Should I leave them in the bag and soak them in water tomorrow morning? Put them in the refrigerator in the bag they came in? Something else?

Thank you!

Comments (13)