SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_mckinnon93

Need help pruning and repotting 10+ year old Jade Plant

Alex McKinnon
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

About 10 years ago, I purchased a mid-sized jade plant from a store, and kept it at home. A few years later, I moved to a basement apartment with hardly any light, so I left the plant in the care of my mother.

Fast forward 5 or 6 years, and I've finally got my plant back... and it's giant. However, it's also in a pot with no drainage hole (she didn't realize this), normal soil, and it's a bit misshapen. Overall, she's done a great job taking care of it, but it definitely needs a repot, and I think I would also like to prune it at least a bit to get it a bit under control.

Should I repot, and then prune, or the other way around? I have about 2 quarts of bonsai jack succulent soil, which should be a lot better than whatever it's in now. Where should I cut? The only obvious spot is the one branch that's really reaching.

Also, I'm not actually sure if I have one or two plants, there. I'll know for sure once I bust out the roots. I think I'd be best off keeping both in the same pot, if it's two

? What would you do?

For scale, the plant is 2 feet from the ground.

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/43hV0w1

Comments (16)