SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mfperson

I need help about pruning my jade plant.

mfperson
8 years ago

I have a jade plant that I received from my daughter who I think rooted several stems from her own plant. Consequently, mine has about 5 or 6 stems coming from the soil, not a single trunk, & they have become quite leggy. I guess mine isn't really a single plant, but a clump of plants. They are in a 10" pot and& I water it from the bottom once a month. (I read that was the preferred practice.)

The separate stems are all about a half to 3 qtrs of an inch diameter. I've whacked them back within the last year which helped some but they all still have leaves only on the outer third of the stems. The entire plant clump is probably about 18" high & 16" - 18" diameter. It seems to be a healthy plant right now, & 2 or 3 stems are putting out new growth but only on the outer ends where cuts were made. I was hoping to stimulate some sprouting lower down on the stems to fill in my jade plant "grove". I honestly don't know quite how I should proceed, prune much more drastically, down to stumps or take off maybe 1-2 thirds of each stem and see what happens.

I'm zone 7, at the lower end of Puget Sound in Wash St. This is a year-round house plant in a sunny south-facing window!

I'd be glad for any advise.

Comments (2)