SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonlitexile

Jade Tree 2 year progress/Help me prune!

moonlitexile
6 years ago

Hi there,

I acquired an old jade tree a year and, because it was so etiolated, decided to cut it back to a few main limbs. I don't have a picture of the plant as I received it, but for anyone interested, there are a handful of pictures throughout the following thread that lead up to me ultimately lopping every branch off:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3086507/large-jade-advice?n=31

I'm very pleased with my decision to do that, as over the last couple years, it has grown in quite nicely. I'm at the point now where I think I need to do some more whacking and would like the advice of the far-more-knowledgeable folks on this forum.

As you can see, the top is quite bushy (PIC E & F). There is some strong growth on the lower limbs, but as you get closer to the trunk, the growth is a bit weak (likely due to the top section blocking light and sucking up nutrients). Pictures are below. What do you advise cutting?

PIC A:

PIC B:

PIC C:

PIC D:

PIC E:

PIC F:

I am thinking of cutting these as a way to introduce more light to the bottom branches. Also, the branch in the second pic appears too long before it first splits. The red depicts what I would potentially cut, and the yellow is what I believe would receive more light as a result. Sound logic? Should I cut even more from the top (or whack it all)?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Comments (13)