SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkvlad21

Where this forum took my Jade - 1 year later [photos] - pruning ideas?

bkvlad21
8 years ago

Hi there,

I cannot stress enough how appreciative I am to this forum and to this community.

Here's the story of my Jade

I'll try to include links at the end of my post, but I think photos here will help the most.

• 2005. A leaf is stolen from my grandmother's huge beautiful Jade, and brought over from middle-of-nowhere Russia to USA, NYC.

• 2007. My parents are "taking care" of the Jade by putting the tiny leaf into a 20inch pot and into regular potting soil. The Jade grows to about 3in height with a feeble stem (overwatering/bad soil/large pot/not enough sun)

• 2008. My cat chews half of the Jade off... The Jade is repotted into a smaller container (still too big) and yet again into a regular soil.

• 2014. I grow up and realise the significance of the plant. It's a piece of my grandmother who I only saw a few times in my life. The Jade is weak (has to be supported by sticks), tiny leafs and is in general tiny - 3in height for a 9-year-old Jade...

• Time to take matters into my own hands!

• Not enough light I guessed... bought a "plant light" from Amazon to help the lack of sunlight in my apartment. Placed the Jade too close to the light and leaves started to burn/melt. Here's a result after a few days following the incident:

I later find out that the light was doing no good to my Jade in the first place because it was a "decorative plant lighting"... meaning that it had no benefit what so ever except for somehow making my Jade look prettier...

• June 2014. I turn to this forum. I ask, "how to help a burned Jade?" The comments I received were both aggressive, supportive, and humorous. Hey, I was clueless, I deserved it. I was told that I might have root rot due to really bad soil and the pot was too large for my jade. Why is it potted on the very side of the pot rather than the middle? You're about to find out.

• July 2014. I'm too scared to kill the Jade therefore I choose not to repot it (yeah yeah). My jade grew weaker and weaker. One time I decided to take a look up close to what's going on with my jade. I see black dots all over the place, odd. I keep looking on my jade and then... one dot started to run across the leaf... I take a closer look and I see those dots are everywhere, and they keep running around! Yup... infestation that was almost invisible to the naked eye. Can you spot it?

If you look at the right side of the pot's green edge you will see dots. Those, ladies and gents, were not regular dots...

• I panic, realizing that I have nothing to lose, I actually proceed with the repoting. I make a bootleg gritty mix after researching the forums and dug up my jade. Here's the part that puts everyone in an awe.

That near 90degree angle is where (as I later found out) my kitten chewed up my jade back in 2008.

• Realizing that there's barely any root right below the Jade, I decided to keep the whole funky part of the stem alone and repot it, yet again, at the side of the pot.

• Oct 2014, my jade is saved.

New small pot (the red/brown thing on the inside is the actual pot is tiny. The green pot around is a decorative element) Gritty mix. New watering schedule. 3 hours direct morning sunlight, 5 hours indirect sunlight, few more hours under a fluorescent lamp which this time I made sure was correct and good for my jade.

• Aug 2015 It's a year later and today I looked at my jade and decided to share. Sorry for the no-so-good picture but you can see the difference.

At least double the height in 1 year.

Now, ladies and gents, I would like to say thank you. And for those who are willing to share their expertise, would love to hear your opinion.

How do I get branches?

The progress was awesome. My trunk has doubled in width on the bottom and got very woody and sturdy, rather than thin, green and feeble. Now however, I want to take my Jade a step further and make her into a full tree. So far it's just been popping leaves on top, more and more. Great progress, but again a branch would be pretty sweet :)

Next Spring (spring 2016) I'm planning to repot my jade and see how to roots are looking. I'm hoping that by that time I would be able to chop the weird 90degree section off and plant my jade in the middle (I heard that spring is one of the best times to do such things)

Thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

My main question, however, is how do I make her into a tree rather than just a stem with leaves? My ultimate goal is to make her into a banzai; not a small one, but like a 3 foot tall thing that resembles an actual tree (that's the way it looked at my grandma's place in Russia and it was gorgeous).

Thank you for everything you have done to me and my Jade.

Best,

Vlad

Links to original posts:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1809841/really-burned-jade

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1806458/gritty-mix-re-potting-confusion-00

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1813190/funkiest-root-you-have-ever-seen-urgent

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1844463/thank-you-my-jade-made-it-followup-questions

P.S.Even though my parents were clueless about how to take care of Jade plants, they did a good job. I'm very happy that my jade survived and that it made it into my hands. So special thank you to my family for doing the best they could do; they tried many things to help the Jade.

Comments (6)