SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_dang

Get st augustine to take over fescue; pre-emergent questions

Joseph Dang
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

San Diego, right along the 15 freeway. Got a lawn that is part fescue, part something, part salad. Kind of neglected. Reseeded each fall but part of the lawn has shade until later in the day, and it never survives winter. Reseeded in the spring, and it lasted through summer until it died again in the winter.

So decided to try and convert the lawn into St Augustine for better shade tolerance and hopefully eliminate the need to reseed. Problem is, wifey won't let me kill off the lawn (do whatever you want, but you better not make the lawn brown). Even with the salad bowl that is our lawn she was happy, "it's green, what more do you want?" Sod was also not an option (why are you spending money for a lawn that's already green). Yes when driving by the lawn looks okay but upon close inspection it isn't.

So my only option is to plant plugs around the yard which I did. So ... any tricks to encourage the St. Augustine to take over the fescue? Any growing conditions that stunts the other grass but spreads the St. Augustine?

Also, I put the plugs down in haste, but didn't realized I should have laid down an pre-emergent (kind of late for San Diego, but then weeds grow almost year round here save for the very coldest months). I can get PreM today https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-5-4-lbs-Roundup-Landscape-Weed-Preventer-438510605/302681458

Or order dithiopyr https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preen-15-lbs-Lawn-Crabgrass-Control-2464064/308249265

Small yard so I don't really need to spring for the big concentrates unless I should? About 800 sf.

EDIT: I got palmetto st augustine. Can't find it here in California, and most places wouldn't ship it. But I ordered from a place that let me check out, and sent it. Only later did I realize they had a notice that said no shipping to CA. The first time I ordered it was in October and unfortunately it was in very bad shape by the time it got here (heat). And then we went into a very cold winter so not all of them survived. I placed a second order just a few weeks ago and they arrived fully healthy. Just some parts were starting to yellow. Lesson learned.

I chose palmetto as the leaves are supposed to be softer. I add this because in a previous post someone said apparently the coarser the leaf the easier it'll cut through. I do plan on infrequent watering and deep. One half my lawn fills a tuna can up in 30 minutes the other half only halfway in 30 minutes. So I plan to add two sprinklers to the other side to help with that, and then spread the watering out over a few hours in the night/morning as that's a lot of water in 1/2 hour.

Comments (2)